Custom Header

The features I mention that are obsolete you can see above, hiding tabs/dashboards based on user, another one would be the built in method of hiding the sidebar. There are currently no other ways to hide the header or have a kiosk mode, though Iā€™m sure someone will make something to replace those features.

I cannot speak to what might be coming in HAā€™s future, I can suggest things and make PRs, but they may or may not make it into HA.

As others have mentioned, CH seems to be working for them in 0.116. If that works for you too then continue to use it until such time that it breaks (or remain on 0.115x or 0.116) and wait until someone makes a replacement for the feature youā€™re looking for, or just donā€™t update HA at all until that happens.

@mayker Thank you for all of your work. It is truly appreciated. Now Iā€™m gonna go curl up in a ball and cry.

3 Likes

I was never a big fan of custom headerā€¦ because in my opionion most of itā€™s feature should be in HA many versions ago :wink:
I wait for them to show up natively tooā€¦

Good luck on other projects!

1 Like

indeed, this is the only thing i use :

custom_header:                             
  hide_header: true

if someone can post an alternative :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Thatā€™s all I need tooā€¦

That is very sad :frowning: But anyways: Thank you very much for the effort mayker! I used it since the beginning of ā€œCustom Compact Headerā€ and I canā€™t imagine how much work it must have been, maintaining that beast!
I hope there will be a native solution soon - I really donā€™t like the original header:

1 Like

too bad that WTH wasnt implemented :slight_smile:

1 Like

sad to hear that. @mayker thank you for all your effort
All I need is only the

custom_header:
compact_mode: true

1 Like

For me it seems, that this is a dealbreaker for 116. I have numerous displays as weather station, alarm clock and simple information panels. It is essential, that the header can be hided at least due to available space. Bad luck. So I have to wait for a release with a similar option. By the way: Hiding tabs for defined useres works indeed. When editing the tab, there is a possibility to allow a tab for users
The german translation is a little bit strange. It means the distance I can see :wink:

1 Like

I do also need footer: true for my mobile dashboard.

Any hint?

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for all your hard work @mayker
I encourage anyone whoā€™d like to see these functions integrated into vanilla HA to reply to the WTH post referenced above.

2 Likes

Crap, I guess Iā€™m staying on .115 until the features make it to core. I use almost every feature in CH and it would be very hard to manage my kiosk tablets without it.

Thanks for solving so many of the main issues in hass, Iā€™m sure this was a big job to maintain.

If itā€™s not working in 0.116 then rollbackā€¦ it is working ok in 0.116 fr me but I only use it to hide the header. There is no other solution right now.

Yes, i can also confirm, simple sizing/hidden of the header still work on 0.116. If it stops working in a next version, the header is truly horrible big :frowning:

oof, I hardly rely on this function (mostly the kiosk). Thanks for all your work and I hope solution for getting kiosk back so that the big header is gone again :slight_smile:

I also never understood why the header is so big, it canā€™t be edited and spoils the overall look of the screen

2 Likes

Hi all. For the experienced devs. I already found this one here: https://gist.github.com/ciotlosm/1f09b330aa5bd5ea87b59f33609cc931
Could that be a solution as replacement

1 Like

First, thank you for having provided this awesome component. Like many others, the one feature I will miss most is the ā€œhide headerā€ one.
As you know how to do it (and I donā€™t and Iā€™m not the only one here), could you provide a component doing only this?
I appreciate that with new HA features, eg hiding tabs can be done another way. But, ā€œhide headerā€, you are the only one :slight_smile:
Thanks.

3 Likes

I would also like to add. It would really be enough to be able to remove that ugly, big header

Solves some of the issue, but I still need to hide some tabs for some users and others for others, also based on user agent, remove the chevrons and other declutter of menu items, change the color, etc :frowning: