Custom Integration: Linksys Velop

Nope, you’re not missing anything. HA 2022.12.x broke displaying that list. If you can hold on for the release of 2023.1.0 (looks like that should be on the 4th January) it should start working again (it’s currently working in their beta releases).

1 Like

Thank you for the quick reply. Been trying over and over to get tracking to work. I look forward to the fix and appreciate your efforts.

You can get it working if you fancy messing around in the HA config files. If you’re not comfortable with that you’d be best waiting for the next HA release.

I can wait, I’m working all week and won’t have time to look at it till this next weekend. If a stable release \ fix is coming I can wait for that, vice me tinkering.

Just wanted to thank you again, and confirm that the HA update today fixed the drop down list. Now I can pick trackers to add.

1 Like

From time to time a few of my Velop nodes … stop working. Sometimes I get a red light on the node; sometimes the node shows “offline” in the Linksys app (even though the node’s light may be blue); sometimes they just get unplugged by a child or someone else in the house.

I’m probably missing something obvious, but is there a simple automation I can create that will simply check to see if the node is actually up and running? I thought triggering for the node being “offline” would do it, but it doesn’t seem to. I tried setting that up and then unplugged the node, but even after 10 minutes of waiting I never got my automation alert. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks!
jtf

The integration queries the API to establish state of the nodes. Was the node showing as offline in the Linksys app?

How were you checking for the node being offline? There’s a status binary_sensor entity which should be on if the node is online. I had an automation that detects a node going offline for a while that seemed to be working without issue. I haven’t had it enabled for a while mind you, but the entity states seem to updating fine.

The status is also only updated as often as you’ve set it to - the default is every 60 seconds.

Hi!

Can someone help me out? When I add the Github URL to the repositories it won’t connect. I get the following error:

Scherm­afbeelding 2023-02-14 om 15.22.56

Needs to be added as a repository in HACS, not as an Add-on in HA…think this might be the issue.

Thanks! This was the solution :)!

It’s been a while since I wrote on here about any releases but this one is a quite a large release (I never really intended it that way - I just got carried away).

I’ve just released 2023.3.1.

Breaking Changes

• Minimum version of Home Assistant required has been bumped to 2023.1.0 - this may seem like a large jump from the previous minimum but it turns out some of the changes recently made don’t work on that version anyway. I’ve also realised I was maintaining quite a few things just to keep compatibility.
  • The binary_sensor entities for WPS and HomeKit Integration have been removed; use the new switch entities instead.
  • The Latest Speedtest sensor has been removed in favour of all the attributes and original data being available as individual sensors. All other functionality for the Speedtest should stay the same. If you were using the original sensor in your UI then you will need to update to use the new sensors.
  • The state attribute showing Speedtest progress has been removed from the binary_sensor in favour of using a sensor showing the state. If you were relying on the state attribute then you will have to update to use the new sensor.
  • The Parent sensor has been removed from the parent node. This shouldn’t really cause an issue as it was always in an unknown state.
  • Backhaul signal strength now has a “friendly” sensor. The attribute that was on the signal strength sensor has been removed. You will need to update any UI to reflect this.

What’s New

• Introducing the concept of UI Devices. These are devices that you would like to keep an eye but not just track whether they are connected or not (you can use a device_tracker for that). Maybe you want to automate something if the Wi-Fi strength has reduced or the parent changes. Who knows, but now these can be created as devices that sit alongside the Mesh and Nodes.

You can see in the following screenshot that there a couple of devices that don’t look like nodes: Driveway - Camera and linksys_velop Placeholder.

The Driveway - Camera device is one that I’ve selected from the configuration option as a UI Device. This means that I can see the information as per below. This allows me to create automations based on any of the information contained in there. It also allows me to carry out the two items: Delete and Internet Access which were previously only available as services - don’t worry, the services are still available.

The linksys_velop Placeholder device is there because I’ve enabled the new Use a temporary device for select entity details option in advanced settings. Now when picking a device from the select entity this placeholder device gets updated with all the information that you can see for the Driveway - Camera - and yes you can even use the Delete and Internet Access toggle.

The eagle-eyed will have spotted that the UI Type sensor in the screenshot has an image. These images are read from the same location as the node images always have been.

This has facilitated creating the following UI

N.B. The delete option on the card is only shown if the device is offline (you can’t delete it from the mesh otherwise).

Behaviour Change

• Prior to this release there was a workaround in place to ensure that device_tracker entities were housed under the Mesh device. This seemed logical to me and meant that they would automatically be enabled when you added them. However, this has caused issues with the new features that have been introduced and seemed contrary to all other integrations that created device_tracker entities. These entities will now follow the paradigm intended by Home Assistant. This may cause you an issue if you intend to add a UI Device that is currently a device_tracker or has been in the past. Unfortunately, I cannot programmatically fix this. I can’t really think of a reason where you may want a device on the Mesh to be both, but if you do then you’ll need to manually remove the connection information from the device in the core.device_registry file. I’ll try an write up how to do that, just in case.
4 Likes

Amazing work, thank you!

Hello.
I am using a Linksys MX4200 router.
I installed the custom component through HACS and added the Linksys velop to the integrated components, but the device information is not uploaded normally.
The password used was the router password.

1 Like

Could you enable logging please (there’s an option in the configuration to enable it temporarily to save you doing any reboots etc)?

I’ve seen similar before from other users and it always seems to be an incorrect password being used. It should be the password for logging in locally to the router.

I have the MX4200 so I know it works with that and that there are no compatibility issues.

P.S. you’ll want to turn response logging on as well.

Thank you for quick response. Enabled debug logging in Integration Components.

You’ll need to send over the homeassistant.log file so that I can see the logs. Feel free to private message it over as it may have private info in it.

Thank you for your reply.:slight_smile:
I changed the router password and was able to use it normally.
Thank you again for your interest.

1 Like

Is there a way to apply the Lovelace UI as shown in the picture below?

That’s a set of YAML configurations that I’d originally started maintaining. However, I don’t use them anymore and it was too much work to maintain them as features got added and things in Home Assistant changed.

Hi,

Since a few weeks the integration is not available for connected devices. In the developer tool states setting the following notification shows up.

Can someone help me out? !