Custom Integration: Volkswagen WeConnect ID (Europe)

I also can’t find it in HACS, how did you find it?

You need to add a link to GitHub - mitch-dc/volkswagen_we_connect_id as a custom repository in HACS.

1 Like

Is anyone else getting loads of these warnings in their logs?

(I just upgraded to HA 2023.08 if that is relevant)

I can’t upgrade from 2023.5.4 as the integration doesn’t load.

Sorry if I am wrong, but this thread looks like a “catch all problems thread” - so I add my problem here as well. If there is a better place for asking questions (in a more focused way - github?), please accept my apology and let me know where.

I wonder if there is any possibility to start and stop charging via this integration. I haven’s seen any property or the like…

Thanks,
Rainer

PS: currently , setting the target SOC does not work, so this is no work-around for start/stop charging. Note that this seems to be a Volkswagen backend problem. The target SOC does not sync at all since some days, does also not work with the app.

service: volkswagen_we_connect_id.volkswagen_id_start_stop_charging
data:
  start_stop: start
  vin: aaaa

You can use this service call to start or stop the charging.

2 Likes

I have noticed a similar problem with setting the target state of charge a few weeks ago. Maybe caused by a new sw version on an ID3.
I could not set a target state of charge via home assistant but also not via the Volkswagen app.

In my case I had save my home location in the car and had assigned certain charging parameters.

I believe that this is the cause of the problem. Although it worked fine over a long time I think in the current version of Volkswagen software those setting can not be changed or overwritten remotely.

When I deleted the saved location I was again able to change the target state of charge as before.

Maybe, if others run into the same problem its worthwhile checking if you see the same behavior.

Am I the only one for whom the integration has stopped working recently?

I have two HomeAssitant instances and it failed on both around the time HomeAssistant 2023.10 was released. I updated only one instance and then it worked for a day until it failed again.
I see no problems in the app.

At the bottom of the log in HomeAssistant there is

weconnect.errors.TemporaryAuthentificationError: Token could not be fetched due to temporary WeConnect failure: 403

It has stopped working for me too, around mid-morning yesterday.

I am seeing 403 errors in the HA log, for example: -

Logger: weconnect
Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/weconnect/weconnect.py:221
First occurred: 14:44:12 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 14:44:12
Failed to retrieve data for VIN WVGZZZE2ZMPXXXXXX: Could not fetch data. Status Code was: 403

I think perhaps the VW API has been changed, but that is only a guess.

An update …
I re-downloaded the integration in HACS and restarted HA.
At first I thought this hadn’t changed anything - the data was still missing, but now looking a couple of hours later I’m seeing the values I used to see.

I tried that too: after re-installing the integration and restarting HomeAssistant 2023.10, the set up of the integration failed four times. Then it was added, but failed to initialise…

In my other HomeAssistant 2023.9, the integration recovered automatically an hour ago - I noticed that after I had re-installed it in the other HomeAssistant.

I’m having the same problem. Did this solve your issue or have it stopped working again?

For me it’s coming and going - currently it’s working.

I think it is more to do with Volkswagen’s servers than the addon itself.

Even on their app, the service is on and off.

It comes and goes for me too. I find the VW app much more reliable.

The main problem I have with the integration is the delay it introduces into HA restarts, which wait for it to time out.

I have to say I am now very close to disabling it.

As @HarvinDhillon wrote, the app is currently instable too, but you notice that only when you check for the last synchronisation time or even trigger a synchronisation in the app manually.

I have no problem that the integration takes long after a restart, because it’s done in the background anyway.

Looks like VW may have implemented rate limiting on the API which is probably why it works for a bit then stops. There are new versions of the Python library that this integration uses - Releases · tillsteinbach/WeConnect-python · GitHub that deal with the errors so there’ll probably need to be some changes to the code.

This integration has been offline for me since last friday. Few days before that it was working and not working randomly. Before these latest changes it had been pretty stable for a long period.

Yeah mine is the same, its been borked for over a week now and nothing I do can bring it back to life

Hi Mitch, I have been using your integration for the last 4-5 months. Similar to recent posts here it has mostly worked well but a couple of days ago it stopped working completely. I deleted the integration and re-installed it and initially it seemed to be working fine again. However, it now seems to be dropping out and reconnecting multiple time a day. Any suggestions about what is happening and how to fix it? Also, when I first installed it all the sensors had the VIN of my car in the name. Now they have “my_volkswagen” in the name. In your automation examples I see you have used the nickname of your car. How do you specify the name?
Thanks, Mark

1 Like