Danalock V3, Z-Wave JS or Zigbee. Status?

I’m considering buying a Danalock V3 Z-Wave+ model, but I’ve read some conflicting reports about it working or not.

Does anyone here use it in 2023 with Z-Wave JS, and if so, what’s your experience or recommendation?

I also have a Zigbee network, so if anyone’s using the Zigbee model with Zigbee2MQTT, what’s your experience with this lock?

Thanks!

I have had both. Started with zwave as it was the only one I could find. However it was the only zwave device I had and it just didn’t seem to work well. Managed to get a zigbee one, which worked a little better.

However as soon as I find something suitable I will be getting rid of it. The lock state is very unreliable. If I unlock it with a key it doesn’t pick up the change most of the time.

Ah, that’s what I was afraid of. I could only find posts from 2021 and older, but they described the same problem. I was hoping things had gotten better in the last couple of years. Maybe with a firmware update or something like that.

Looks like I’ll be looking at alternatives as well.

Thanks!

I’m curious; have you updated the firmware of your Danalock V3? What firmware version are you using? There was a firmware released February 22’nd 2023 (version 0.21.4).

0.21.7 is the firmware I have. I try to keep the firmware up to date on things like locks.

Thank you. I just wanted to make sure you’re not basing your experience on something that had been fixed in later firmware releases. Seems like not much has improved with newer firmware.

The main problem we have is with the key. To get it to register it is locked we have to turn the key right to the end, even though it doesn’t need that to lock. Then the key has to be turned back a little to actually remove. No amount of calibration stops that requirement.

Ok, thanks for the information. Reading reviews, it seems these things are always overlooked by the reviewer, or simply not mentioned.

I was considering a Switchbot Lock as an alternative to the Danalock, but then I came across information from a store (not a review) where it said that if the thumb turn on the inside of the door does not rotate with the key, the Switchbot will fall out of alignment and will need to be recalibrated every time the door is locked or unlocked using a key. As my lock works that way, it was very close that I wasted my money on this smart lock if I had not come across this very important piece of information, which I have not seen mentioned anywhere else.

My 2 cts: I’ve been using the Danalock V3 on Z-Wave for 2 years now without any issue since HA moved to the new Z-Wave implementation. Before I had issues pairing, but that was true for all my Z-Wave devices.

I am still on fw 0.20.0 though. Going to update to 0.21.7 as soon as I find the changelog.

All in all very happy with this lock!

Same here, using the Danalock v3 in HA for a year now,. Absolute reliable, and no Issues in HA with zwave js ui.

Hello

If I may ask, what Z-Wave controllers do you use?
I recently bought an S2 Z-Wave ZST10 700 and for several days I have been trying to connect it with the Danalock V3 lock without success and I come to the conclusion that the ZST10 700 is not suitable for connecting the danalock and I think I need to buy another Z-Wave controller.
I will be grateful for any suggestions.

Regards.

Hello,

I’m using a Razberry 7 pro.

That sounds strange. Are you sure you got the correct region for both your Z-Wave controller and the Danalock? Different Z-Wave regions works on different frequencies so they will not work together.

The only thing that prevents a device from using a different frequency is a saw filter. This is a physical device installed to filter frequencies outside of your region. The ZST10 700 does not have a saw filter installed. This means that if your lock does use a different frequency all you have to test this is change the frequency of the controller.

1 Like

Thank you all for your help.

My lock is from Europe and the ZST10 700 is from the New Zealand region. How can I change this region in Z-Wave JS ?

Regards

Changing the region/frequency is not something that is normally done by end users. It might even be illegal for you to operate a radio transmitter on a frequency that it has not been approved for.

With that said, I believe the easiest way to do it would be to use the Z-Wave JS UI add-on (not the regular Z-Wave JS add-on), which will give you more control over your Z-Wave controller and network in Home Assistant.

This is the one you want: image

Not this: image

In there, you will find a Settings panel image
with a setting called RF Region:

It is important to keep in mind though that if you for example is located in New Zealand, and you change the region of your Z-Wave controller stick to Europe, you will not be able to use Z-Wave accessories made for the New Zealand market. Also, it might be the case that the antenna in your Z-Wave controller stick is fine tuned for the NZ frequency, and changing region will significantly worsen the range of your controller stick.

Thank you for the tips.

I live in Europe and bought the ZST10 700 from a European store. The ZST10 700 manual states that this controller works in 2 regions, i.e. New Zealand and Europe.
I just changed the region to Europe and was able to connect to Danalock v3.

Thank you again for your help.

1 Like

For anyone interested, I just wanted to say I ended up getting a Danalock V3 SCANDI BTZB, which is the Zigbee version. I’ve included it in zigbee2mqtt and so far it’s working just fine. It exposes the lock/unlock trigger, lock state and battery state.

Even after updating it to firmware 0.21.7, there’s another firmware available through zigbee2mqtt that I’m installing right now.

EDIT: Turns out that was incredibly dumb. The firmware update failed about 47% in, and now the Zigbee funtionality of the unit is completely broken. I tried re-pairing it, and pairing worked, but I could not lock or unlock it from zigbee2mqtt. So I tried power cycling it by removing and reinsering the batteries, and now Zigbee doesn’t work at all. It can not pair to zigbee2mqtt. Tried the “10-click user settings reset”, which also did not help. Argh!

Have you tried changing the firmware using the Danalock application?

I have a question.

My lock works fine and all needed entities are visible in HA. But why is there only a regular switch to lock and unlock the lock instead of 2 separate buttons?
The switch in this case is a bad solution, because there is no choice if I want to open the latch in the lock.
It works like this: when I want to open the latch in the lock and the lock status is unlocked, I must first lock the lock and unlock it again.

Maybe someone knows a way to add two buttons, one closes and the other opens the lock instead of a switch?

Regards.