Database location in usb stick

hi Guys,

getting crazy with this issue. I googled, I searched in the forum, tried many things but nothing helped

Installed home assistant on debian on raspberry 4. I moved the file from the original location to the new location. Additionally I give the the following information

homeassistant@rpi4-20201112:/$ ls -lr /mnt/usbdisk_db/
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 184320 Jan  1 22:37 home-assistant_v2.db

recorder:
  db_url: sqlite:////mnt/usbdisk_db/
  include:
    entities:
      - switch.luce_bagno

I tried several different number of / in the db_url as well, either I get nothing or I get the following error

" Logger: homeassistant.components.recorder
Source: components/recorder/__init__.py:279
Integration: Recorder ([documentation](https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/recorder), [issues](https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22integration%3A+recorder%22))
First occurred: 9:09:25 AM (9 occurrences)
Last logged: 9:09:49 AM
Error during connection setup: (sqlite3.OperationalError) unable to open database file (Background on this error at: http://sqlalche.me/e/13/e3q8) (retrying in 3 seconds)"

still does not work. Do I have rights problem?

thanks in advance to those whoā€™ll support me

regards

According to the integration docs, the SQLite path must end with the fileā€˜s name, not a directory.

Also, if you use HA Core in Docker, donā€™t forget to provide the USB drive as volume

@m0wlheld thanks for the feedback. I forgot to mention I tried as well

db_url: sqlite:///mnt/usbdisk_db/home-assistant_v2.db

Can you please tell me more about the second point?

Heads Up: In your reply, you use /// (3x) in your URL, the documentation uses //// (4x). While I consider 3 being correct, 4 is according to the docs.

My remark on Docker is irrelevant unless you use it to run Home Assistant. Do you?

yes, it is the case. Thanks for the hint. Iā€™ll try to have a closer look

Docker containers have no access to the hostā€™s filesystem, unless you make it available as Volume.

Easiest would be to remove db_url attribute from your configuration and ā€žmountā€œ the DB at itā€˜s expected location.

Add the following argument to your docker run command:

-v /mnt/usbdisk_db/home-assistant_v2.db:/config/home-assistant_v2.db 

I really appreciate your help - thanks. It seems it slowly goes beyond my know-how on this field :frowning: . Well usually when I start raspberry everything already runs and I can login in homeassistant via web. I believe I need to stop the container and then to start it again adding the line you suggested. Do I get it right?

Are you using Home Assistant OS (aka HASS.IO) or Home Assistant Core on Docker? Is there a ā€žSupervisorā€œ item on your HA sidebar?

I am not familiar with Home Assistant OS, I do use HA Core on Docker/Docker Compose.

Usually, since containers are designed to be ephemeral, you simply delete that container and start a new one with updated arguments.

Iā€™m using a home assistant supervised:

I started with Home Assistant OS but I moved away as I want to be more flexible. Now Iā€™m slowly progressing

This is the output of docker ps

homeassistant@rpi4-20201112:~$ sudo docker ps
CONTAINER ID   IMAGE                                                   COMMAND                  CREATED          STATUS          PORTS                                                                NAMES
f4f6ae2d3f2c   homeassistant/aarch64-addon-configurator:5.2.0          "/init"                  19 minutes ago   Up 19 minutes                                                                        addon_core_configurator
065b2a62f24d   hassioaddons/sqlite-web-aarch64:2.3.2                   "/init"                  20 minutes ago   Up 20 minutes   0.0.0.0:xxxx->xxxx/tcp                                               addon_a0d7b954_sqlite-web
eea61c75686d   homeassistant/aarch64-addon-samba:9.3.0                 "/init"                  20 minutes ago   Up 20 minutes                                                                        addon_core_samba
59427ad7f179   homeassistant/aarch64-addon-mosquitto:5.1               "/run.sh"                20 minutes ago   Up 20 minutes   0.0.0.0:xxxx-xxxx->xxxx-xxxx/tcp, 0.0.0.0:xxxx-xxxx->xxxx-8884/tcp   addon_core_mosquitto
27ff16b332ec   homeassistant/aarch64-hassio-multicast:3                "/init"                  20 minutes ago   Up 20 minutes                                                                        hassio_multicast
0e48d45129fa   homeassistant/aarch64-hassio-cli:2020.11.1              "/init /bin/bash -c ā€¦"   20 minutes ago   Up 20 minutes                                                                        hassio_cli
f84e4e737f77   homeassistant/aarch64-hassio-audio:17                   "/init"                  20 minutes ago   Up 20 minutes                                                                        hassio_audio
63911dc77982   homeassistant/aarch64-hassio-dns:2020.11.0              "/init"                  20 minutes ago   Up 20 minutes                                                                        hassio_dns
07888ccb4c8c   homeassistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant:2020.12.2   "/init"                  38 hours ago     Up 20 minutes                                                                        homeassistant
b828967a30b2   homeassistant/aarch64-hassio-observer:2020.10.1         "/init"                  38 hours ago     Up 21 minutes   0.0.0.0:xxxx->xx/tcp                                                 hassio_observer
9a6b57dcc10f   homeassistant/aarch64-hassio-supervisor                 "/init"                  38 hours ago     Up 21 minutes  

Sorry, but as I said, I donā€™t know how to do this with Home Assistant OS. Donā€˜t know your intention when moving the DB to another disk, but obviously you can also move the entire ā€ždataā€œ direction to another location.

@Wallace75: Somebodyā€™s recently asked a similar question, that might be useful. There is no response yet, but you might want to track this thread.

1 Like

Thanks. Iā€™m still convinced it shoud be possible the solution you suggested. I played a bit with

sudo docker inspect container_name

removing the container and adding new ones with the additional arguments you suggested.

FYI I then decided to change approach and I installed HASSIO in a python environment on raspbian. This could give me the flexibility I expect, I already installed mqtt, samba and moved the db on the usb stick all just some hours work. As I said Iā€™m still in the learning phase, it may change soon but it seems to be the most practicable. I never worked concretely with dockers and Iā€™m afraid of itā€¦

Hi Christoph!
May you tell me where I find the docker run command to ā€œmountā€ the USB drive?
Background: Iā€™m also using HA in docker on a Synology NAS,
but donā€™t succeed in shifting the database access to an external drive.
When using

recorder:
  db_url: sqlite:////volumeUSB2/usbshare/homeassistant/home-assistant_v2.db

I always get an cryptic error
"Error during connection setup: (sqlite3.OperationalError) unable to open database file (Background on this error at: Error Messages ā€” SQLAlchemy 2.0 Documentation) "

You need to ā€žbind-mountā€œ the device to a path of the Docker container upfront and than use the containerā€™s path as recorder URL.

docker run -v /volumeUSB2/usbshare:/db ā€¦

The use

recorder:
  db_url: sqlite:///db/homeassistant/home-assistant_v2.db