deCONZ - Official thread

I recomanend you to take a look in phoscon. Probably there you can adjust the times. But I don’t have your sensor but I could set up there one Phillips I had.

Motion stays on for over a minute: This can’t be changed at all unfortunately, to preserve battery life (as I read somewhere). Aqara motion sensors have the same problem. The ones from Hue are on for only 15 seconds though (they use 2x AAA batteries instead of 1x CR2032).

Battery level doesn’t get reported: I also had that problem with a few Tradfri devices (motion sensor, on/off switch and the 5 button remote)! It may take a few days/weeks for them to pop-up… restarting the addon (a few times) might! help. But they should show up eventually.

WTH dark/on: I assume, the dark attribute does refer to the moon/sun button on the back of the sensor, as there is no illuminance sensor - but I didn’t test that extensively to be honest, so I can’t tell you how much of a difference it really makes. I think the on attribute is simply stating that the sensor is powered, but I could be wrong.

Motion stays on for over a minute: This can’t be changed at all unfortunately, to preserve battery life (as I read somewhere). Aqara motion sensors have the same problem. The ones from Hue are on for only 15 seconds though (they use 2x AAA batteries instead of 1x CR2032).

I am not sure but I think you can adjust this? I think I used deconz.configure feature in HA Developer Tools. It’s while ago I did this and memory (mine) starts to in bad shape :wink: I suggest to try this.

As you see below mine clears in about 12-13 seconds. This also works with Aqara - they clear in around 10 seconds.

And EDIT: Forgot to say Merry Christmas to Everyone!

1 Like

thanks! confirming all of my suspicions :wink:

btw, I indeed finally saw a battery sensor appear, and, while I used brand new quality batteries, it showed 21 % after a couple of hours and now is on 16%, within half a day…

seems to be very much related to this: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/43969

that’s another issue though.

Still, the much anticipated responsiveness of the Deconz is a bit of a disappointment, at least as far as the ikea sensors go.

Will test a Hue sensor next, which would be more of a difference going from the polling it uses now, to pushing changes using the Deconz.

While that is true, they are “blind” afterwards - and won’t change to detected for the same period they would normally be on. Or am I mistaken?

There is a hardware hack that i am using and it works like a charm see the topic Aqara Motion Sensor Hack for 5 sec
I used electric paint for this instead of soldering easy to do, and it still works very good.

1 Like

You are right - “they are blind afterwards” - but for instance with Aqara sensors they were ready to detect again in less than a minute. Without the adjustment that time was something more than 2 minutes - if I remember right :wink: . But when needed that hardware hack (above) is also possible to cut the time to minimal.

Your binary sensor might by off sooner, but they won’t go on again after 2 min… So the binary is not the live status of the hardware… So it won’t go on again anyway in 2 min

Do you mean this below - this is one example of Aqara with deconz.configure adjustment -> time to detect again is one minute here?

Yeah, but that’s only the binary sensor, not the hardware, its false

Thanks for your response! Please educate me here - I am maybe totally lost here :wink: ?

What hardware we are talking about here - my only statement is that with this deconz. configure feature you are able to let’s say roughly cut detect cycle to half. So in my example if motion for instance turns the light on now - it can do it again in a minute (instead of 2 minutes with original settings - roughly) Are we talking about something else what I do not quite understand here?

I am talking about the aqara xiaomi sensors, it will stay updating only after 2 min, so if you binary sensor is changing after 1 min… You still need to wait 1 extra min before it goes to the ON state again

Not with my Xiaomi Aqara motion sensor. The picture was one of them:

Detects 5:55:57 (State on)
Clears 5:56:07 (ten seconds after, state off)
Detects again 5:56:57 (one minute after the first detection, state on again)

Take a look of my picture I just showed you. Is there still something I do not understand?

From what I know, deCONZ has a default blind time for these sensors of 2 minutes, which you can adjust setting the duration parameter. This isn’t based on the hardware (see below), but some internal timer that deCONZ uses. If you change the duration to 10 seconds, then 10 seconds after motion was detected it will tell HA to clear the sensor. This doesn’t mean that the sensor is ready to detect motion again, though.

The sensors themselves (the hardware) have a blind time of 60 seconds, which aligns with that you’re seeing. If you don’t have a modified sensor this time is fixed, regardless of what you set duration to.

Regarding the modification: it puts the device in “test mode” permanently, which means it changes the blind time from 60 seconds to 5 seconds. You can make a solder connection, or use some conductive paint, or even just use a pencil (which I used). Matched with a duration for deCONZ this works very well, and I’ve been running about 8 of these sensors in test mode for over a year now, including in ‘heavy traffic’ parts of my house, without having changed batteries.

3 Likes

Thanks for excellent explanation! I agree 100 %.

All I am saying is that with this deconz.configure you are able to cut that “detection cycle” roughly to half - from 2 minutes to one minute (like you explained), which for me was good enough. Sure if you need better “detection cycle” you need also that hardware hack you are talking about.

So it is also fair to say this deconz.configure alone improves this “detection cycle”, because it does.

In practice it means for example movement in room will be reported to HA once in a minute instead of once in every 2 minutes - doesn’t it?

Yes, it does.

This should be added to a wiki.

I recently restored my HA instance to a VM from my original pi deployment. After reconfiguring deCONZ I’ve been having a lot of unreliable response from my devices. The logs seem clean with the exception of the following:

20-12-29 13:17:31 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.store.data] Can't read /data/addons/local/conbee/config.json: required key not provided @ data['arch']. Got None

I’ve removed deCONZ completely from my system and have rebooted a couple of times yet this error still comes up in the system logs. Any idea what could be causing this ?

1 Like

Hi maybe a known issue but since version 6.6.0 I got the same error when trying to update the addon from the GUI:

ERROR (SyncWorker_1) [supervisor.docker.interface] Can’t install homeassistant/armhf-addon-deconz:6.6.2 → 500 Server Error for http+docker://localhost/v1.40/images/create?tag=6.6.2&fromImage=homeassistant%2Farmhf-addon-deconz: Internal Server Error (“Get “https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/”: dial tcp: lookup registry-1.docker.io: no such host”).

Any Ideas how to solve it?

Someone else had issues with a docker URL.
Have you tried pinging that address to see if it’s up?