Deconz - Please Help - RPI/Raspbee -> NUC/Conbee

I have been looking for an answer to my question and got some good hints already. The answer might be Phoscon backup/restore or hidden zigbee configuration page in Phoscon. But has anybody really done that earlier and how …

I am planning to move couple of my home automation systems from RPI3B+ to NUC (J4005).

I currently run Homeassistant (HassIO) with Deconz addon with Raspbee. Now when I can not use Raspbee with NUC (can I - any adapter available?) and I need to move to Conbee, can I use Phoscon backup so that I don’t need to pair all the devices again? (so can you jump with backup from another coordinator to another - is there an id problem etc.)

On the other hand if I could use Phoscon backup between Conbee/Raspbee I could keep my RPI3B+ as a backup coordinator if NUC would crash. -> remotely power off NUC, remotely power on RPI + HassIO snapshot and Phoscon backup in?

And the reason for remote operation is that the systems are far away from my home. Of course I will setup the system locally, but would need a possibility remotely switch the system to another one (for example using wifi smart plugs …)

Phoscon backup/restore would work remotely when you need to start another unit as far as you have the latest HassIO snapshot and Phoscon backup in your hands …

I think so?

I haven’t used these dongles - I use zigbee2mqtt with CC2531 USB stick - but maybe you can see the configs these 2 dongles create and see if you can migrate one to another. I am very happy with zigbee2mqtt - it runs in docker container and the hardware is really cheap, less than 10$

Thanks for your response!

Unfortunately it did not help me too much. BTW I have also tested CC2531 and zigbee2mqtt. Both are great but I prefer Deconz.

I still would like to hear real experience to my question.

Sorry for not being helpful - I have no experience with this hardware, If you have time can you share what are the benefits of Deconz - maybe you can help me move to a better solution.

Thanks again for your reply!

I think there are many general threads comparing different platforms - as example:

I would like to keep this thread for the answers to my specific question in a problem I need a solution. I would like to hear people with experience with Deconz and especially from the once who have moved from RPI to NUC or from Raspbee to Conbee.

I have moved my deconz conbee2 from raspberry 3+ to NUC. I used my back up and it worked but 2-3 sensors couldn’t connect so I manually add them to NUC. I haven’t tried yet to update my rasp with my new NUC setup in order to use it in the future as a back up but in theory I think that it will work.
I believe is crucial to have already installed ssh to HA rasp3+.
When you proceed to the transition you should should first stop running HA to rasp3+ (through ssh) and attach the conbee2 to the NUC. If I remember well the command (ssh ) is

hassio ha stop

and wait for ok

Thank you very much for your response!

It is excellent to hear it worked for you! This is one part of my question? Here you still use existing Conbee 2. I need to change the coordinator from Raspbee to Conbee, so that part is still a bit open. So please if someone has experiences of that please do not hesitate to answer.

To be specific which backup you mean here, Phoscon backup/restore? Not HassIO snapshot? If that is the case I think I can easily handle the rest. I have played a lot with these backups and restores remotely but never with another hardware. You can also use Samba to get the HassIO snapshot and Phoscon backup to the other system when you make a change …

But yes, thank you very much - this was really very helpful response! Below the pic of the backup I mean here:

Yes, there you can get the back up and then restore it (upload).
Have you installed Terminal & SSH in your HA?

Yes I have, but I really do not see the reason where I need them here. I can stop HassIO running from the GUI and I can move the backups with help of Samba.

And I can remotely power on/off the systems with wifi smartplugs …

And yes - the open question still is does the phoscon backup restore work with another coordinator?

the phoscon backup restore the files in the same place where you make the backup. (if I understand right your question). In the new HA in NUC you have to install the phoscon and then you will upload the back up.

No - I think you did not understand my question if you refer this:

“the open question still is does the phoscon backup restore work with another coordinator?”

In your case you used the same hardware (ConbeeII) in new NUC. In my case I have to use new Conbee hardware (had a Raspbee). So does the Phoscon backup work with the changed coordinator (it has of course different ID etc.)

Like I said if backup works I do not need any other guidance; I sure know how to restore the backup and I sure know snapshot locations in the system etc.

Sorry, I don’t know that. I guess you have to test this. But I am interest to know :slight_smile:
So if you don;t mind give us a feedback please.

OK - I will let you know, but right now the NUC is on the way from Amazon …

I’m trying to do a similar thing. I have two Raspberry Pi 4B, and two Raspbee 2 cards. I want to make a backup system witch can be started by my wife in a simple way (ready to go) if the primary fails. Just connect the power cable. Wife acceptance factor :slight_smile:

2nd Raspberry Pi 4B
2nd Raspbee II card

1. Installed a new SD-card
  2. Restored the snapshot
  3. Restored the Deconz backup.

Tried with and without pt 3 above.

Everything was there, also in deconz. All devices presented in deconz, and even looked to be “alive”. But no response from automations or remotes. No status change when opening door sensors.

Set the Zigbee channel to the same (ch 15). Got the same Network ID (PANID).

Maybe it has something to do with the Network Key?

Some claims It should work. Others report having done this with success. But I can’t figure out why this won’t work with me. As long as I use the same Raspbee card (but change the Pi board) it works. So I am quite sure it’s something to do with the Rasbee card.

Have you tried this “cloning” described in this link:

Thanks. I will look into this. Will report back.

Make sure to put a USB extension cable between the nuc and the conbee. The conbee’s cannot handle usb3 ports or usb3 devices nearby. Just a heads-up.
I’m curious to know if the backup over different coordinators work, that would make it perfect as fall-back.

Yes, I am aware of this interference of USB3. Right now I run RPI3B+ with SSD (USB2) and I am very happy with them. Only disappointment is very slow snapshots and reboots etc.

On the other hand I have spent overall quite a lot € in my home automations and they run some “critical” tasks in places where I visit quite rarely. I think around 150 € for a decent computer which hopefully would bring this remotely operated backup (old hardware) is not bad …

But yes - let’s hope this Deconz backup/restore or “cloning” would work. And yes still waiting for reports from someone who has succeeded …

No luck yet. Tried various approaches, but so far nothing works.

When I tried to add one of the bulbs I had in the new rig, it came right in, with the old friendly name I gave it. So the Raspbee card do work. I had to add the bulb back in my primary RPi when I switched back.

So, a “connection” between the Raspbee and the devices (bulbs, sensors etc) is missing. Some hidden parameter I have to set (witch I don’t know about)? It seems that the Raspbee isn’t cloned exactly as the old one. “MAC-address” difference or something similar, a unik ID?

These are exactly the same:

• Zigbee channel
  • Network id (PANID)
  • Network key
  • NWK Update Id

I have restored snapshots and Phoscon backups in various ways, this first, then that, that first, then this and so on.

I guess I don’t have the necessary knowledge to go forward with this problem.

It should be easy though. If you want to migrate, or the Raspbee card dies (it may very well do so), it shouldn’t be too complicated or take too long to set up. But as it is now, it seems (to me) impossible to do this without considerable work (pairing every device again).

Which in your case would be impossible since the location is far away.

This is a critical service witch should have a sort of easy failover solution. The consequences are dire if it fails, as my wife will raise hell if nothing works :smile:

OK - Thanks!

Just to be sure - did you try this?