DeCONZ, ZHA and Zigbee components and compatible hardware

@tosion i have one of those shields Eelabs if you want another (also have their usb stick), i doubt I’ll use it, unless you are saying they support ZHA better than the HUSZB-1 (or whatever its called :slight_smile: dual zwave zigbee lots have on here) i’ve been using.

I tested today Raspbee/ZHA. The setup was really easy with this integration feature. I tried to join with 5 devices:

1. Ikea bulb -> joined and worked ok
  2. Xiaomi vibration sensor -> joined, showed in states and integration view, did not work
  3. Xiaomi motion sensor -> joined, showed in states and integration view, did not work
  4. Xiaom button/switch ->joined, showed in states and integration view, did not work
  5. Osram Smart+ plug -> did not join …

I do not know what to do - maybe HUSBZB-1 is the answer, but in Europe I think zwave is not supported in frequency and might be even illegal - can it be disabled?

@tosion Your issue isn’t the Raspbee, its the ZHA component. unfortunately its support of devices just isn’t there yet. again, hopefully this year! :smile:
if you want zigbee, best i’ve used is the zigbee2mqtt or SmartThings hub is rock solid, can then use an MQTT bridge and MQTT server to share states with HA.

I know raspbee is great and works fine in deCONZ addon. I just don’t understand who is actually making development for deCONZ ZHA component?

As well as I also do not quite understand if for instance you have ZHA component for Elelabs and HUSBZB-1. Do they work as well or is there a big difference. Somehow I just do not trust on Elelabs in future if I look for a solution for a real home automation/security. Now Elelabs works fine with around 40 devices but how long and what is the “spare part” support if you need another shield etc.?

BTW - I just placed an order for one raspbee and one conbee … I believe in that product anyway and I hope it will eventually work also with ZHA component as well as with deContz addon.

I believe the main developer works for DE. Other people can and do contribute, but I believe he has final say and approval (or not) on pull requests.

There is also another part of the code that is closed source AFAIK.

I think you only need either the Raspbee or the Conbee.

I joined the community primarily to figure out how to integrate my Bitron AV2010/32 (mentioned above) in Hasbian. I think my main problem currently is that ZHA doesn’t have support for thermostat yet. I can pair the device and in the new Zigbee Management console in HA I can see it as well as have access to all ZigBee clusters. So, I can do anything I would like to do with this device like read current room temperature, read current heat set point as well as set new heat set points.
So, basically everything is available to HA with this device. But I have no way of displaying things like temperature, heat set point nor can I set new heat set points within the HA dashboard, because I have no components available for this device.
Basically all this device is is a mains switch that is either opened or closed based on the heat set point and the current room temperature. I am planning on controlling infrared heater panels with this.

So, any help would be appreciated. I don’t want to have to always use the ZigBee management interface in the UI to control the device since it is a bit cumbersome. I would like to view temperature and set the heat set point via a dashboard component if possible.

I also tried setting up zigbee2mqtt since it seems like it could do the trick. But unfortunately I couldn’t get it to work because it only support a very limited set of ZigBee sticks and I have the Bitron AV2010/10 which works just fine with ZHA, but not with zigbee2mqtt.

Here a few screenshots what you can see in the ZigBee management interface for ZHA (since new users can only post one picture in a post, I merged them into one image :wink: ):

DeConz is a closed source, more commercial implementation afaik and ZHA component is the native HA implementation. DeConz will only work with Raspbee or ConBee adaptors. That is it. ZHA works with several adaptors, including Elelabs, XBee and ConBee/RaspBee adaptors. The ZHA component is not quite as stable as deConz yet, but is getting closer each day.
We need to distinguish here that ZHA in HA is a separate integration/component to deConz. They are two different ways of implementing ZigBee Home Automation and ZigBee Light Link protocols. You could look at it as being as separate as adding a Hue Bridge and having other devices on native ZHA.
Ultimately ZHA, deConz, ZigBee2MQTT would be the three main ways of adding a ZigBee network direct to HA without needing all extra manufacturer specific hubs, but you will get varying degrees of compatibility as ZigBee, historically, has had a lot of proprietary coding put on top of it by some manufacturers. It is done less now, but ZigBee devices are not guaranteed to play nice across the board, unless you have all the same manufacturer.

As far as reliability goes, all implementations are much of a muchness really. I would lean toward deConz as being a bit more reliable, but you do need to install the deConz software to use it and must be a ConBee or Raspbee co-ordinator. ZHA is very close to it now, and works with several other co-ordinators.

It really is dependent on which ZigBee co-ordinator you own and what level of plug and play you want, without too much fiddling. I have used deConz and find it very stable. I have also used ZHA with an Digi XBee2 stick in one install, and ZHA with an Elelabs stick in another install. Both were reasonably solid, but occasionally will drop devices. I put that down to a lot of changes made in ZHA recently.

On a Raspberry Pi, you will be much more limited than on another, higher powered device. If you have more than abotu 40 devices, I would recommend moving to something with more power and more RAM than a Raspberry, or have a second Raspberry dedicated to being the ZigBee controller/hub and separate HA and ZigBee controller. In this case, I would definitely recommend deConz, but ZigBee2MQTT is an option. It would be very tricky, if not impossible, to get the native ZHA solution to work with a separate ZigBee hub.

As far as Spare Part Support, it doesn’t matter which way you go. If you change a co-ordinator in Zigbee, same as if you change the controller in Z-Wave, you will likely need to repair all your devices. Z-Wave links directly to the controller, so even, for example, if you had 2 AEOTEC Z Sticks, if your one fails, you need to repair all devices to use the “spare” one. So if your Elelabs ZigBee co-ordinator fails, you just get a new Co-Ordinator of whatever type (Elelabs, Deconz, HUSBZB etc) and then repair your devices. Thats unfortunately the way these devices work.

When looking at reliabilty, from experience with several co-ordinators, it is generally not the hardware you need to worry about so much as the software side of the controller. As long as you set up a proper mesh network and do not push it to the limits between repeater nodes, the hardware in most cases is fine. My Elelabs co-ordinator has been running for 2 years without missing a beat as far as hardware goes. Same for the Xbee stick.

It is true, you only need a ConBee or a Raspbee. You can not use more than one co-ordinator at a time. Same with software. You can not pair to both deConz and ZHA at the same time.

Before ordering hardware that will just sit around idle, it is always best to make sure you understand how the infrastructure works.

@Robban I would like to use your remote_control.py app_daemon app with an Ikea Tradfri remote:

apps.yaml

TRADFRI Remote:
  module: remote_control
  class: RemoteControlSelectLight
  remote: remote_tradfri
  light:
    - light.my_light
    - light.my_second_light

But it seems like I have to use click and hold, but I’m not sure what those two sections are used for. If I don’t use those two sections, I get some errors:

IndexError: list index out of range,
2019-08-04 10:58:55.174126 WARNING AppDaemon: Traceback (most recent call last):,
ZeroDivisionError: integer division or modulo by zero,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/appdaemon/appdaemon.py", line 600, in worker,
    funcref(args["event"], data, args["kwargs"]),
  File "/conf/apps/remote_control.py", line 92, in handle_event,
    self.handle_button_event(),
  File "/conf/apps/remote_control.py", line 371, in handle_button_event,
    self.select_next_device(),
  File "/conf/apps/remote_control.py", line 182, in select_next_device,
    self.select_device(self.controlled_device_index + 1),
  File "/conf/apps/remote_control.py", line 194, in select_device,
    self.controlled_device_index = device_index % len(self.lights),
  File "/conf/apps/remote_control.py", line 350, in handle_button_event,
    self.toggle(self.controlled_device),
  File "/conf/apps/remote_control.py", line 170, in controlled_device,
    return self.lights[self.controlled_device_index]

Hello Guys,
I have another flavor of those switches (Climax PSM-29ZBSR) but branded by Blaupunkt (PSM-S1). The yare listed as fully supported with zigbee2mqtt and CC2531, but for some reason my HA is not picking them up. They seem to pair just fine, but the zigbee log claims they are not supported. I’ve tried adding them to configs manually, but still no luck. My zigbee2mqtt ver. is 1.15 and the HA is 116.4.
Thanks for any hints.