Default tab behaviour on any tab

The default group/tab is really useful, as it shows up all entities as they are found and groups that are defined. So makes it easy to spot new stuff and look at everything - I use it a lot!

However using it that way means that you can’t define a nice looking ‘home’ screen without losing that ‘all’ view, as you’re overriding the default behaviour.

It would be really handy if you could define another view that worked like the default one, i.e. that shows every group/entitiy. That way you could tuck that at the end of the list of tabs and define a nice clean home screen again.

****** UPDATE *******

As discussed below it’s probably better for all the tabs to work the same way, with a flag for all: yes/no. No special default tab.

Also an ungrouped: yes/no flag which results in the tab only showing ungrouped items

2 Likes

it could also be that the default_view just becomes 1 of the tabs as soon as you name it.
that way it goes on the place where you put it.

i treid to put the default view at the end, but it stays at the front.

Hmm well that would work as well :smiley:

It would need to accept an icon instead of a name as well (I don’t think you can icon the current default tab)

i dont know. i dont have icons for my tabs right now :wink:
also the name from the default should then be able to change.

i think its better if there is no default at all (only if no tabs are defined at all) and that there comes an tab option: show_all: yes/no

Yup good idea - make them all work the same with that flag :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree - I have wanted this for a while!

Ironically, there was a “hack” I stumbled onto about 3 versions ago (before the html frontend code was changed) that meant you could enter a non-existent tab name in the html address for your page and it would show you a tab with every single object in HASS on it (like a default tab would be before you start customising).

eg the adress for my tab named Bar is: http://hassip:8123/states/group.barpage
but if I added a character to the end, making an invalid page call like http://hassip:8123/states/group.barpageX (which does not exist as a group in my HASS instance) I would get everything!

I found it quite useful but then it disappeared as the back end code had obviously been tidied up!

So, +1 for a way to have a “sysadmin” type tab - although for me it would also be good if it were optionally “hidden” ie only able to be opened if you enter the address rather than on the shown tabs.

1 Like

+1 This is been something I’ve wanted since I started using Hass.

As an extra feature of this, it’d be useful to have an option to display entities that don’t belong to a group/view too. I’d use it as a way to know what needs to be added to my other tabs.

Don’t we get that already? On a default-style tab all entities are shown, and those not in groups would be at the top as badges.

If you don’t define a group with the name default_view you do indeed get this, but that means your first tab contains all your entities. In most cases, this is not desirable as it’s the first thing you see when you open HASS.
If you do define a group with the name default_view to clean up that first tab, you lose the ability to spot new entities at a glance, because another tab cannot take over this function from the default_view tab.

That is the reason for this feature request…

2 Likes

I know, I wrote it :smiley:

But my request is to be able to have any tab act like the default one (if the flag is set) and this covers what justyns asked for I think, since all ungrouped stuff will appear at the top of any tab/view where the ‘all’ flag is set?

Lol I didn’t realise that…DOH!

But yup, I think your feature request covers that. If @justyns means he would like to see a tab with just the entities that aren’t part of another tab or group card yet…I can see the sense in that too. It would keep you from having to find them in amongst all the entities you’re already using (in case you use a default_view style tab to show all your entities in an unorganised fashion).

Yeah true - that would also be pretty handy if that’s what he meant :slight_smile:

Sorry, I probably didn’t explain that very well :smiley:

@fanaticDavid is pretty much spot-on. I realize ungrouped items would show up as badges at the top, but groups would show up as cards whether they have been added to another tab or not.

Basically, I wanted a tab/view that would show only things that aren’t displayed on another view. It’d be easier that way to check if there are any entities I forgot to configure/group with something else.

Ok I think I get you. I’ve updated the first post :smiley:

Old conversation but still relevant no? Since i tried to make my default view fancy, but then i loose all the stuff i have not mapped yet.

1 Like

Another request for this functionality.

How many votes does something like this need to get addressed?

I think the requested feature could solve my problem, too.

I just want to add an icon for the default_view like this:

default_view:
  view: yes
  icon: mdi:home-assistant

After that the icon has changed but default_view stays completely empty.

Couldn’t you achieve setting an icon via customize: ?

group.default_view:
  icon: mdi:home-assistant