Denon AVR integration no longer working after 2021.5 update

Anyone else having this issue? My Denon AVR became unavailable following the update, and reinstalling the integration is unable to find it on the network, either by discovery or manually entering the IP Address.

here it works fine. try power off and on the AVR by pulling the plug. sometimes that helps with this integration :sunglasses:

I’ve seen this too with my 3312 in 2021.5.1.
Then I tried the latest fix, forced denonavr version to 0.10.7.
Now I get this :

2021-05-10 20:49:30 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.denonavr.receiver] Missing receiver information: manufacturer 'D
ENON', name 'None', model 'AVR-3312', type 'avr'
2021-05-10 20:49:40 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player] Setup of media_player platform denonavr is takin
g over 10 seconds.
2021-05-10 20:49:45 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player] Error while setting up denonavr platform for media
_player
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/homeassistant/lib/python3.8/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 231, in _async_setup_platf
orm
    await asyncio.shield(task)
  File "/usr/homeassistant/lib/python3.8/site-packages/homeassistant/components/denonavr/media_player.py", line 104, in async_set
up_entry
    DenonDevice(
  File "/usr/homeassistant/lib/python3.8/site-packages/homeassistant/components/denonavr/media_player.py", line 153, in __init__
    self._supported_features_base |= (
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for |=: 'int' and 'NoneType'

Have I missed another change to set up or is there still other problems ?

I upgraded to 2021.5.1 today, and afterwards my AVR now also fails to connect.

The only errors in my logs are related to the database, not even sure it is related to the Denon.

Logger: sqlalchemy.pool.impl.SingletonThreadPool
Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py:240
First occurred: May 10, 2021, 7:26:15 PM (86 occurrences)
Last logged: 1:46:46 AM

Exception closing connection <sqlite3.Connection object at 0xaa4dd708>
    Exception closing connection <sqlite3.Connection object at 0xa955e130>
    Exception closing connection <sqlite3.Connection object at 0xaa4dd790>
    Exception closing connection <sqlite3.Connection object at 0xa955e460>
    Exception closing connection <sqlite3.Connection object at 0xae2ee9b0>

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 238, in _close_connection
    self._dialect.do_close(connection)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/default.py", line 673, in do_close
    dbapi_connection.close()
sqlite3.ProgrammingError: SQLite objects created in a thread can only be used in that same thread. The object was created in thread id 2919026720 and this is thread id 2915037216.

Still not fixed with the .2 update.

The .1 fix worked for me. I had the Denon integration disabled (because the errors from 2021.5.0 were flooding the log

I then updated to 2021.5.1 and re-enabled the integration and no errors since. Maybe re-add the integration?

BTW I have a AVR-2113-avr-x

AVR-1912 is sadly still not working in 2021.5.2.

2021-05-11 09:11:40 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.denonavr.receiver] Missing receiver information: manufacturer 'DENON', name 'None', model 'AVR-1912', type 'avr'
2021-05-11 09:11:50 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player] Setup of media_player platform denonavr is taking over 10 seconds.
2021-05-11 09:11:55 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player] Error while setting up denonavr platform for media_player
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 231, in _async_setup_platform
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/denonavr/media_player.py", line 104, in async_setup_entry
    DenonDevice(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/denonavr/media_player.py", line 153, in __init__

Removing and re-adding the component did also not help.

In my case my (pre-HEOS) Denon problem was related to a corrupt database (?), perhaps something went wrong during the database upgrade. When I restart HA with an empty/new HA database the integration works fine, so at least for me it is not related to the Denon firmware or HA Integration. To test I renamed the home-assistant_v2.db and restarted HA.

A couple of HA versions ago I also had a lot of Denon-related errors that flooded the logs. Because the integration actually still worked fine, I worked around the error logs by setting the HA logger log level in configuration.yaml to critical. Not ideal, but it allowed me to keep using the integration without killing the system. The last entry below did the trick for me.

logger:
  default: critical
  logs:
    homeassistant.component.media_player.denonavr: critical
    homeassistant.components.denonavr.receiver: critical
    DenonAVR: critical

I also had problems with Denon AVR 3600H in the past. They were on Denon side. After 2, 3 days it won’t connect with HA. The solution then was simple. Unplug the wall socket of the Denon and plug in again.
So i’ve placed a smart plug on the Denon and made an automation in HA, that cuts the power of the Denon every night at 4:00 for 20 seconds.
Never seen a problem anymore… :slight_smile:
Oh yeah, and about 1 year back there has been a huge firmware update by Denon, witch also solved some connectivity issues. So be sure, you are running on latest firmware :wink:

I just updated HA to the latest version and everything still seems to be OK…

1 Like

Even with a complete fresh installation of 2021.5.2 the AVR-1912 can’t be added.
It will suggest adding the AVR as it is detected on the network but adding it to HA will fail with

2021-05-11 12:11:12 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.denonavr.receiver] Missing receiver information: manufacturer 'DENON', name 'None', model 'AVR-1912', type 'avr'

I reverted back to 2021.4.4 and it works fine, so i don’t think the reveiver causes the issue.

Same here, after Update to .2 Denon still with same error.

Denon AVR-X 3600h no problems. Latest update.

I installed 2021.5.2, still the same issue :

2021-05-11 21:04:55 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.denonavr.receiver] Missing receiver information: manufacturer 'DENON', name 'None', model 'AVR-3312', type 'avr'

i am too seeing error below after updating to 2021.2.5 , sometimes the error is there , if i then restart HA again, the error is gone and is working

2021-05-11 22:13:24 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player] Error while setting up denonavr platform for media_player
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 231, in _async_setup_platform
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/denonavr/media_player.py", line 104, in async_setup_entry
    DenonDevice(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/denonavr/media_player.py", line 153, in __init__

Seems like the problem is with the older type of Denon amps - newer models seem to be working again. But people on the '11, '12 era receivers are having the same issue.

EDIT: Fixed for me with 2015.5.3 - even added successfully with auto discovery which never used to work.

My Denon RCD-N9 integration isn’t functioning correctly anymore after the update to 2015.5 (I’m now on 2021.05.4). The media player keep being displayed as switched on in Home Assistant when the Denon is switched off. It’s not possible to turn it on from Home Assistant.

Sadly, pulling the plug didn’t help :wink:

Yes, exactly the behavior : HA starts, Denon is off, media_player is unavailable. Denon starts, media_player is “on”. Denon power off, media_players doesn’t appeat as off.
Though you can turn the amp down using the media_players’s on/off button

1 Like

Still broke on 2021.6.0 :disappointed_relieved:

Here it broke in 2021.6.4 with hassos 6.0 for the maramtz NR1603

Hopefully soon older models of denon/marantz work again with hass

That’s a new issue, different to the discussion above. This new issue affect ALL Denon/Marantz devices.

See: Denon integration broken after update to 2021.6.4 · Issue #51778 · home-assistant/core · GitHub