Detected activity?

I just looked at this sensor when my spouse is driving home.
It took almost 10 km of driving before it detected her as in a vehicle.

I assume this is based from Google so there is not much that can be done?

Or can a sensor be added to show what app is active? Because if you see a navigation app is active then you “know” they are driving.

It might be worth reviewing the attributes of the sensor when she is driving and seeing what

{{ state_attr('sensor.device_detected_activity', 'in_vehicle') }}

indicates. However mine score’s 22 currently despite having been on a table for the last 2 hours.

To reliably detect driving I’d be inclined to leverage the phone’s bluetooth connection to the car (if one exists) through HA, or perhaps Tasker and a webhook call.

That was 22 when unknown.
The other attributes was about 10-20.

Then when it finally reported in vehicle, the score was 99 and the others 1 or 0.

It seems it’s very slow to react even though there was several GPS locations along the way.
Edit: 11 GPS points was sent to HA reporting position before updating to in_vehicle.
Waze was on during the drive so the phone should have been spammed with GPS coordinates.

The car doesn’t have that

You could try adding a proximity sensor into the mix and looking at distance changed over time maybe?
I suspect you’ll still be (at least partially) blocked by sensor update times though.