Device tracker not working after upgrade to Hassio 0.94

OK, I’ll try again, I copied and pasted from my text editor. The web page is changing what I past, removing the spacing

Know_devices
fran_iphone:
hide_if_away: false
icon:
mac: B0:19:C6:88:39:E2
name: Fran-iPhone
picture: /local/Fran.jpg
track: true

lucilles_iphone:
icon:
mac: B0:19:C6:31:FB:27
name: Lucilles-iPhone
picture: /local/Lucille.jpg

Configuration yaml

device_tracker:

• platform: xfinity
    host: 192.168.5.1
    interval_seconds: 10
    consider_home: 180
    new_device_defaults:
    track_new_devices: true

• platform: nmap_tracker
    hosts:

home_interval: 10

I figured it out. Here it is again.

Configuration yaml

`device_tracker:
      - platform: xfinity
        host: 192.168.5.1
        interval_seconds: 10
        consider_home: 180
        new_device_defaults:
          track_new_devices: true

- platform: nmap_tracker
        hosts:
        home_interval: 10`

known_devices yaml

fran_iphone:
  icon:
  mac: B0:19:C6:88:39:E2
  name: Fran-iPhone
  picture: /local/Fran.jpg

lucilles_iphone:
  icon:
  mac: B0:19:C6:31:FB:27
  name: Lucilles-iPhone
  picture: /local/Lucille.jpg

OK, Thanks, Mine actually started working today with me changing anything. But I will take a shot wt what you did.

renaming known_devices made the locations disappear. Had to put he known_device yaml back in

Same issue here. Tracking is now broken in 94 along with WINK.

Known entries show wink devices, but show them as unavailable.
Our phones are not showing up at all.

Release notes are your friend:

Comment from the release page that might be relevant:

They are overhauling how the device trackers work. If you upgraded to 94.0, I would just move forward and convert to the new way of doing things since the legacy way is going away. Yes, this was a pain as I had to change several of my node-red flows, but once done it’s done and there shouldn’t be too many more “growing pains”. My $.02

1 Like

I tried removing my tracker and started over. It appeared to work but now getting JsonparseException errors.

I really need another HA setup just for upgrade testing since the config checker thought it was safe to upgrade!

I would love to, but it is unclear to me how to do that.

1 Like

By any chance have you tried this. Some said it works but config check fails for me so had to remark out:

Discovery

Discovery has been mordernized thanks to @Kane610 and with the input from @Jc2k. Each integration is now able to specify how they can be discovered in their manifest, and the new zeroconf and ssdp integrations will do the rest. The new discovery is non-obtrusive: no devices are set up without approval by the user. Instead, you will need to approve each discovered integration. You can find them in the discovered section of the integrations page in the config. Only a handful of integrations have been migrated to the new approach in this release: Hue, LIFX, Deconz, Trådfri, Axis, ESPHome, HomeKit Controller.

The new discovery is now part of the default config. If you are not using the default config, add ssdp: and zeroconf: to your configuration.yaml.

What devices are showing under the “states” section under the developer tools? Most likely the name changed, that’s all. That’s what happened to me and my owntracks devices, it added a _2 to the entitiy id. I ended up renaming the devices back to the original names that it had before the upgrade and all is working now. Changing it back was not trivial for me because whenever I tried to rename it, it said I already had an entity with that name. So I had to go into the core.entity_registry file and renamed the new entity in the actual file. This was the only way I could change it. I changed the name because of my OCD, not because it needed to be done.

So you have 2 approaches you can do, either change you code to reflect the new names given to the devices after the upgrade (could be easy depending on how much code you have to change), or change the entity back to it’s original name (could be difficult, just depends on your setup and what entity still “exist”).

My config says I am using the default config and I don’t need any of integrations listed. So I have not tried them

All my devices still show with their original names. All my tracking devices are showing up and I haven’t changed anything.

my devices are no longer there in states.

persistent_notification.invalid_config

I am thinking I need to downgrade and try again

Yea it just threw up errors for me.
I am about to go back to 93 then try again.
If still the same, will wait till they get 94 more stable…aka 94.2

Well then I would say if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Exactly. I don’t know what fixed it but it is.

Hi @eulogious, how did you edit them in ‘core.entity_registry’ ?
I see them in ‘states’ but can’t find them in the ‘_registry’ file…

Sorry to thread hijack, but it seems to be semi-broken for me too, though I can’t for the life of me figure it out.

We used Google Maps integration. It was still picking up my wife’s phone location but not mine. So I deleted known_devices and restarted HA, after which it picked up my wife’s phone, but now not mine at all. I’ve verified that location is shared with my HA google account, and if I log on with that account I can see the location in google maps. But whatever I do, HA will not create a device entry for it. I even had my wife unshare hers to be sure it wasn’t a “one device” deal, but hers works fine, and not mine.

Ideas?

Same problem here not able to get any new devices in home assistant. Not the native iOS app tracer of Life360. Nothing appears in the list of devices. I sat 3 hours yesterday going back and forth but could not figure out why? :frowning:

For me it’s totally unclear how the new device tracker is supposed to work. I want to ping local IP adresses, but the device trackers aren’t working anymore.

What is the correct way to use the ping platform device tracker now? Is the known devices file history from now on?

1 Like