DietPi, Docker and Hass.io

For anyone else who may be interested, I have installed Hass.io on a DietPi Virtual Machine. It was remarkably simple.

I already had the avahi-daemon installed under DietPi so all I had to add from the DietPi software install system was Docker.

The only other requirement outstanding was to apt-get install jq

Following the guide I simply used the installation script.

curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/master/install/hassio_install | bash -

I thoroughly recommend DietPi as a base image for any SBC or VM.

2 Likes

Does DietPi from a USB device?

Not sure what you mean. I think you may well be able to get it to boot from a USB stick. Never tried. there is a good Forum so ask there dietpi.com

DietPi is awesome been using it as a base for other thingsā€¦

OctoPi

Node RED with GPIOs for Pool Controller

Kodi

I tried that in hopes that I will get better experience with hass.io than with home assistant
first of script does not work with just bash -

I needed to

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/master/install/hassio_install
chmod 777 hassio_install
./hassio_install -m armv7ls

but after connecting to contain as describied in the article Set up Hass.io on top of a virtual machine - Home Assistant

[hassio.docker.interface] Canā€™t install homeassistant/armv7l-homeassistant:landingpage ā†’ 404 Client Error: Not Found (ā€œpull access denied for homeassistant/armv7l-homeassistant, repository does not exist or may require ā€˜docker loginā€™ā€).

On DietPi?

Yes, but in the end second docker got magically created and it at least started, so if it does not work for someone, just wait, wait even 30 minutes.

On the latest DietPi and with the latest Hass.io, I needed to also install avahi-daemon and then chose to install apparmor-utils.

That can be installed by using the dietpi-software utility.

Thanks! I ended up just moving back to DietPi + HomeAssistant. Felt like too much resources dedicated to docker.

Are you running Octopi and Hassio on the same Pi with dietpi? Iā€™m looking to easily gain control over the Pi relay pins for use with my OctoPi lights, etc.

No Iā€™m not, wouldnā€™t recommend it too much! But I would definitely run OctoPi and Node-Red to control GPIO pins

How do you control the OctoPi GPIO pins with Node-Red?

Node Red can control pins on the Pi when Node Red is ran on the Pi.

I have manually installed JQ and Iā€™ve manually isntalled avahi-daemon as per Kaadans post in Dec 18.

Regardless I get literally

bash: line 1: 404:: command not found

When I run the CURL command to pull in hass.
Clearly the script is using commands which are not ā€˜stockā€™ in DietPi or perhaps you and kadaan just hapenned to install more apps in than I did as default?

I have progressed but problems persist.
My post above is referencing old information in OP URL, the new URL is.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-installer/master/hassio_install.sh

Therefore, itā€™s
ā€œsudo curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-installer/master/hassio_install.sh | bash -sā€

HOWEVER
I get errors from

[WARNING]
No networkmanager support on host
No apparmor support on host

I can manually install these, but should I? What would they break in DietPi?
You need at least 5 extra things on top of DietPi base image.
docker (supported menu based install)
jq (manual install)
apparmor (manual install)
avahi-daemon (supported menu based install)
network-manager (manual install)

I always install hassio on top of dietpi this way :

(except for the line

curl -fsSL get.docker.com | sh

Docker via dietpi-software

That is exactly the same.

That original URL is 18 months old although not much has changed!

These are not errors, they are warnings which you can ignore if you wish.

Install what you can with the dietpi-software command. networkmanager is the new Ubuntu (I think) tool which changes how networking is setup.

I would not install Networkmanager onto DietPi.

The other packages are fine.

Since itā€™s a VM, Ivā€™e taken a snapshot anyhow so I can recover.
I installed Network Manager, it seems to work though, but Iā€™m curious what the implications could be?

Both with and without? If I re-roll without, why is it warning, what wonā€™t work ?

DietPi does itā€™s own thing with network configuration so you may, at some point, get a conflict.