Disappointed in the new release - why focus on a cloud platform?

Shelly. They even gave Home Assistant users a special discount a few days ago.

unfortunately shelly is not available in my country, so I’m out of luck

I ordered direct from shelly.cloud to NZ.

OK, so you, and all the people who “Like” your post, should send their expressions of disappointment to the developers of the new Tuya integration, namely Tuya itself because they built it and the API that employs it.

BTW, this forum and the GitHub Core repository are littered with complaints about the new Tuya integration and what they have in common is that no one from Tuya is responding to them in any evident way. Please take that into consideration before throwing darts at the Home Assistant project and its development team.

1 Like

Sorry @123 i have to disagree with you, The core HA Devs have to take some responsibility for this one, they allowed this half baked integration to be merged with features less than the previous one. They have not been seen either to assist them other than to close of github issues that mention the v2 hacs edition, which people rightly or wrongly thought was the one that was being integrated natively into HA with all that it supported.

Why was there no agreement between them to make sure that Tuya support would be able to assist if they integrated on a date, also wonder why they integrated it during a national holiday in china and not wait till next month

6 Likes

From what I see on Oleok’s and zlinoliver’s “marketing postings” on that tuya thread I believe the HA devs were sweetly talked into this by tuya marketing staff promising heaven is coming down to earth and that there surely will be excellent support from the tuya support team etc. And they simply fell for those blatant lies. Now there is no going back anymore …

As for Tuya: Mission accomplished.

3 Likes

I have to agree with you. The silence from all involved is a little staggering.

When the HA devs gave 3 Tuya devs the first 30 mins of the release party stream to discuss and sell the new integration, I think they have to take some responsibility and be accountable. They have obviously had a fair degree of involvement in the process.

I really struggle with the fact that the HA devs didn’t make Tuya devs commit to a date for local control at a bare minimum, let alone push for to be included at the start. Perhaps they did, but this hasn’t been shared. HA is supposed to be a locally focused platform and then they go ahead and push out a major and completely cloud based integration, happily.

If the timeline for shutting down the old API is at least 6 months, as shared in the live stream by the Tuya devs, there was no need to push out an updated integration that is less capable than the one is was replacing.

Beggars belief.

3 Likes

If the fuel injection pump of my Mercedes is broken I’ll ask Mercedes for repair, not Bosch.

And as for Tuya: They simply give a s**t on the frustration of the little (HA-)user base. User data is all that counts.

Well it seems some, not all of the issues on github have been given some response from a tuya dev, mainly to tell them it isnt supported and will be added in a future update or asking them to help build the driver

slow start

This gets my goat. So the Tuya devs don’t know how their system works? Astounding. One wonders how much time they have spent on this project.

yep it does seem strange

which points to the v2 version in hacs repo

What I don’t quite understand is why the built-in one is not on par with the V2 they put on HACS, tbh.

I have a single tuya device, a smoke detector. It works on V2 but not on built-in with the same account.

2 Likes

yeah is bizarre, and yet i saw a PR sitting there that re-enables dimmer support that was supported in the previous version and the dev was told it wont be merged until next months version of HA as its a new feature in this borked version.

The situation with this Tuya integration is a mess, People updated and have less functionality with a new improved integration than the previous one.
I think some people may be right and that HA have been a bit naïve with their Tuya friends and been a bit to hasty in allowing this integration in, not just for the local control but it being a worse experience for those HA community members who use Tuya devices

1 Like

If this were a truly open platform the correspondence with tuya would be released.

2 Likes

Damn, forget about local control. I will NEVER be supported.

1. Battery devices sleeps 99% of the time, so needs a brand new way of working, maybe some kind of local server.
  2. If they somehow deliver local control firmwares to the people actually producing the devices, I suspect that if HA is used instead of their cloud, that kills part of their revenue
  3. Why Home Assistant doesn’t have an external API for integrations - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io). Even if Tuya was willing, I understand that article as HA not wanting it.

Agreed. Not sure what they had in mind releasing the integration in this state.

I’m totally sure it’s not naivety, though, as they knew some pieces were missing.
Maybe a case where rules overrule common sense :wink:

I am starting to think you are being generous (or perhaps diplomatic).

As I said in another post I have no Tuya but this whole episode leaves a very nasty taste in my mouth. Ever since I started with HA 4(?) years ago I was surprised at the ‘focus’ on Google and Amazon but this is on another level.

As far as Tuya local control goes I watched the bit of the launch party linked to by tom_l in another post and saw Frenck shrug off the fact that this most important of all features was missing with words to the effect of, ‘So that is not a no. It might be coming in the future we just don’t know when’.

That means he either was surprised it wasn’t here now, which would in itself be surprising and surely impossible seeing as where Frenck sits in the HA organisation, or he knew and was simply placating the viewers. Which begs the question, why?

This is starting to smell very much of greased palms. If I were a cynical betting man, and I’m not either of those things, I could imagine believing there is an exit strategy formulating in the minds of those in control of HA.

Just to be clear, I am a huge supporter of HA, I use Nabu Casa when I don’t need to (blah blah) and I still trust the ‘vision’, but this has concerned me.

1 Like

Sale to Tuya?

Not sure if sale to Tuya, possibly a monetary contribution to Nabu Casa per new signup via Tuya integration?
All speculation I guess, but the radio silence from them doesn’t help. Maybe they know they stuffed up and hoping it will just did down, who knows

That was about “official” local tuya, IIRC, not about missing features at all.

And guys, do not start semi-delirious conspiracy theory out of a borked release, please :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok, if I misunderstood I take that back.

I didn’t mean too, I am just stating my opinion which is that of concern, not panic. I really want to be very, very wrong.

Borked is one thing, borked by an outside party (with lots of money, influence, clout - call it what you will) who was invited in, is something else.