Disk almost full

docker image prune -a

2 Likes

Another problem is that journald.conf has default parameters that can’t be changed easily:

The consequence of these parameters are very large logs (>10% of the disk with a max of 4GB).

It’d be very nice to be able to set custom options for journald. For now, it seems periodic cleanup is our only choice!

May 2022 update: Most of these issues have been fixed, database is now optimized and HASS cleans things automatically :smiley:

SOLVED: I found my huge disk space usage in the supervisor container in HA!

My Disk space on home-assistant has been increasing over time - and currently GLANCES and “df -h” is showing 65% space are being used when checking in the “SSH-Terminal”-add-on in HA.

However, “du -hsx /* | sort -r” only shows MUCH LESS usage in the filesystem:

I was not able to find where all this disk-space went , even after reading every article in this forum and others I could find.

Finally I tried to login to to “supervisor-container” in portainer (which I believe is the “base-container” all others dock onto):

I removed “hidden containers”:

Then I logged into the shell of the “supervisor”-container:

A “du -sxh /*” showed a massive amount of disk space (54.4G) to be used in the “/data” folder:

Within the “/data”-folder I would see that “/data/addons” and “/data/tmp” where the most used:

Digging deeper I could find that in “/data/tmp” the main usage went into INFLUXDB:

I could find a similar high usage on INFLUXDB (and MARIADB) in “/data/addons/data/*”:

I hope this will help you to also identify the disk-usage within your HA installation.

Now I have to find why INFLUXDB is taking up so much space, how to clean it up , and how to schedule such a cleanup (or configure the data collected in a more fine-grained manner).

Please let me know if this is / was helpful - or if you found better ways in finding the used space in HA.

3 Likes

Excellent info here!
I did a:
docker exec -it hassio_supervisor bash

I also had my drive almost full, and using these information I did find the culprit: an old install of Music Assistant (from HACS) which I removed some time ago, but left a 60Gb “.gz” file in “/data/tmp”

1 Like

Great info. Thanks!