DIY Electric Grill Powered by ESPHome

You could use a solid state relay with zero crossing switching as an easy option to do the necessary power regulation.

They are really cheap and can be switched on/off twice the frequency of the grid without creating any electronic noise, like a phase dimmer would do.

@mcarter14777 thanks for this project, my wife is the smoker and she has a very simple cooker but with good results and complains about all the problems mentioned above so I think this would be awsome for me to build for her. I have put together a BOM does this look ok?

Bill of Materials

ā€¢ SSR-40DA solid state relay
ā€¢ ESP32 wroom dev board or similar
ā€¢ ADS1115 Module ADC - 4 channels
ā€¢ Thermoworks - High Temp Air Probe with Grate Clip x1
ā€¢ ThermoWorks - High Temp Straight Penetration Meat Probe (up to 3 probes)
ā€¢ 1/8 jacks (3.5mm) Mono x4
ā€¢ 110v to 3v power supply
ā€¢ Heavy duty 3 prong AC outlet & inlet

Optional for local control

ā€¢ Rotary Encoder
ā€¢ LED Display

With regards to the PID control; can anyone get me any tips for manual PWM control? I am using the PID control to control home brewing equipment. For some of the process I need the temperature control that the PID provides but there are other parts of the process that I simply need to set the PWM to 50% for example.

Any progress on the charcoal version with the fan?
Think to do the same with my Weber Kettle.
Have looked at the commercial available lime Spider Venom but is not available outside US and a bit expensive. Other products are over 200ā‚¬ in Europe.

I finished my project and I am quite happy with it. To have the fan is nice specially to get the coals ignited and going. On the first version, my fan was too close to the heat and it melted.
I have had issues with the meat probe, I am still trying to have accurate readings.

1 Like

Sorry Iā€™m trying to figure out something, your device monitors both food and device temps? Looks like there is only one plug for the probeā€¦

There is a large yellow plug for the thermocouple that monitors the smoker box (oven) temp and a small black plug beside it (that connects to the blue terminals) for a 1/8" probe for the thermister that monitors the food temp.

1 Like

Amazing build. This is high on my list of projects to build out. Love the PID control with climate.

Trying to figure out how do ppl connect a plastic fan blower to a kamado, wouldnā€™t it melt? And how would you block air from coming out since you just want air to go in.

Hi,
At the moment I am trying to use your code for a smoker. I want to use a dallas ds18b20, but want to get the rotating switch out. The install is done but for one reason the input_number entities are shown as sensor??? do I need to post the YAML?
Thanks in advance,
Paul

@mcarter14777 thanks for this project and the idea,
on the screenshot from 202-10-04 20-35-07 Homeassistant Carte ā€œPatioā€ you can see the ā€œElectronic Grill traget temperatureā€ on the upper right and it looks like it has been switched from 150 to 250 Ā°F ā†’ Two questions how can I read and display the ā€œtarget temperatureā€ and how can I set/toggle the ā€œtaget temperatureā€ without a front end???

Okay, I have solved/found the first question ==>

lambda: 'return id(pid_climate).target_temperature;

mcater14777,

Great job! Exactly what I was looking for to control my smoker. I was wondering if you could elaborate on your Home Assistant dashboard? Type of cards used, etcā€¦?

Thanks