diyHue Add-on

Hey guys,

i don’t know if you know the tool already but diyHue is a great application to simplify and enhance your Hue experience not only with the original Hue lights, sensors and switches but with a lot of different Zigbee devices. With diyHue you have the chance to combine zigbee2mqtt, original hue hubs, CC2531 and a lot of other hubs in one application. It is a real “Hue emulator”.

With the new diyHue Home Assistant Add-on you now don’t need a seperate instance of diyhue running on a separate machine. You now can install diyHue right from inside Home Assistant. Just add this repository to your Add-ons:

Installation

The installation process is pretty easy and straight forward, like for any other third-party Home Assistang Add-on.
Add the repository URL under Supervisor → Add-on store → ⋮ → Manage add-on repositories:

https://github.com/MaxBec/diyHue-hassio

Possibilities with diyHue

The Add-on is based on the current master branch of diyhue and is still under development. So i really need feedback of you to improve this Add-on. Thank you very much already and i hope to hear from the first testers soon. :slight_smile:

All the best and stay safe!
Max

6 Likes

Pardon my ignorance and inability to actually read things, I see some information about ESPHome on their Github, but it’s a bit confusing.

What I would actually like is to keep my Tasmota/ESPHome RGBW strips/bulbs with their firmware and some add-on to chew them up and spit them out on the network as Hue friends or whatever it is to be added to the Hue eco-system.
I’m not familiar enough with the firmware to trust swapping it on my RGB controllers yet.
I’d be willing to change firmware if it can stay in ESPHome to test this out.

My reason for interest in this is I have the iConnectHue app and the animations are so much nicer than I feel like programming in Node-Red.

As far as i know you can stay with ESPHome. It works good with diyhue.

1 Like

Very interested to try this. Have been playing around i think a year ago with a manual docker install, but never got to actually repairing all my hue bulbs with my zigbee2mqtt.

To complement Max’s great work I have added a new protocol to diyhue so that it can expose Home Assistant lights to diyhue.

This means you could use the Hue App to turn on/off your Home Assistant lights.

2 Likes

This is great, i’ve been looking for something like this. I run a full DIY hue with deconz setup and homeassistant and would be willing to test this out

2 Likes

EDIT: Max’s add on now points to the Dev branch of DIY Hue and so this shouldn’t be needed now

Ok to try it out at this stage will be fairly manual and assumes you are on a version of diyhue that is fairly close to the master github repo.

You will need to grab my branch: https://github.com/foxy82/diyHue/tree/HomeAssistant_Integration

You will need to replace the following files with the version from my branch:
- HueEmulator3.py
- functions/__init__.py
- functions/lightRequest.py
- protocols/__init__.py

and add the new file
- protocols/homeassistant_ws.py

There are instructions on how to set it up here:

Let me know how it goes.

This is now on the diyHue dev branch here:

Sorry if I am misunderstanding - if I pull the master diyhue branch (diyhue/core) to a docker instance, I then have to download your “branch” extract the files you’ve listed and insert them into the docker image somehow?

I’ve already setup the config.json file as your instructions suggest and added attributes to some lights however diyhue doesn’t see anything from home assistance as it is, so I suppose I am missing the modified files?

@MaxBec92 your add-on fails completely when attempting to install it on the latest HASS version (2020.12.7) with the following error:

hue-hass-addon-error

Excuse my ignorance, but how can I can install this addon to my current Hassio server? I can’t find the repo for the Addon service…

Thank you for reporting, guys. There was a big change on the diyhue repo (change of default branch). I will fix that this week.

Kind Regards,
Max :slight_smile:

1 Like

Merry Christmas everyone!

I just released Version 1.1.4. It is the first version based on the new default master branch of diyhue.

The installation process is pretty easy and straight forward, like for any other third-party Home Assistang Add-on.

Add the repository URL under Supervisor → Add-on store → ⋮ → Manage add-on repositories:

https://github.com/MaxBec/diyHue-hassio

The repository includes two add-ons:

• diyHue is a stable release that tracks the released versions of diyHue.
  • diyHue-beta tracks the dev branch of diyHue, so you can install the edge version if there are features or fixes in the dev branch that are not yet released. NOT AVAILABLE YET

I can’t wait to get some feedback from you guys.
Thank you already for your help!

Max

1 Like

Thanks for the update.

However I have a few questions.

1. How do I make lights, etc. from HA show up in DIYHue?
  2. Why do I need to specify Deconz IP? I do not use Deconz and removing that config line gives an error.
  3. It doesn’t seem like I can link my Harmony Hub or HA with DIYhue… Both apps see the hub however even after virtually pressing the activate button neither gets added successfully.
2 Likes

My esphome flashed H801 is having problems after I flashed it. It won’t not anymore. My wife just sounded the horn for fixing my kids under bed lighting so this is becoming more important to me. I’ll be tinkering tonight.

So I’m trying this out now. My H801 controller was actually ok.

I mirror @NOTORIOUSVR 's question about why we need a deconz address.

Secondly, is there an example config.json to put in out config/diyhue directory?

Third, I think I read how to get the link button to work, the activate button doesn’t seem to work.
https://diyhue.readthedocs.io/en/latest/configuration.html#reset-linkbutton-password
I’m a little confused if there’s a web-ui or not. I think I found it but it just says unable to connect to hue bridge, I’ve been trying the Home Assistant IP and the Hue IP.

Thanks!

Hey,

the requirement with the deconz address is gone. You don’t need to set it anymore.

Here is the default-config of diyhue:

First i want to get the addon running fine. Then i will have a look at the diyhue functions. At the moment everything is in beta status and under severe development.

IMPORTANT INFO for users of the old Add-on

Information for users with a running instance of the old diyhue add-on!
Please delete the following line from the config.json: "bridge_config": { and of course the } at the end of the file.

Well I can confirm 2 things… 1 deconz is not required anymore, and 2. I was able to pair dyihue (beta) to my Harmony hub! So thats awesome, thanks!

However I am still not sure how to see actual lights from HA in diyhue. Anyone have some input on that?

Hi I cannot make it work.
My Home Assistant instance is running on HassOS, running on VM (no problems whatsoever).
Plug in installs, but after it is started it stops after a few seconds (tried both stable and beta versions).

Hello Max,

Firstly, thank you for the work you have done so far. It’s great that this can now be added to my HA directly, I was using portaina to run diyhue (dev branch) in a HA custom container before this was available. So having a more native option is brilliant.

I am seeing a bit of an issue, I cannot seem to get a few apps to connect to the emulated hub. I am using iOS and the hue essentials app works fine but this is the only app I can get to sync. I’m guessing because it’s the recommended app from the diyhue devs. The official app doesn’t work at all amongst all the others I have tried. These other apps did work on my other way of running diyhue.

Again, thank you for what you have done so far.

@NOTORIOUSVR you need to activate the HA lights control by amending the config file. Take a look at foxy82 post, 7th post in this thread, to see what needs to be changed.