Philips Hue will force users to upload their data to Hue cloud

And your iPhone!

No idea, never claimed that. By default every device in your LAN can see any other device if you don’t isolate clients from each other. That is essentially what local area networks are made for!

Also wireless devices (from other networks) can be detected by devices with a radio and send back to the mother ship. No one remembering how google silently did heavy wardriving (capturing full payload data) with the cover of mapping street view?

record all unencrypted packets–or what’s known as payload data–within range of Google’s Street View cars, which he “thought might prove useful for other Google service,”

A 2010 report from Canada’s Office of the Privacy Commissioner, for example, noted that it was “troubled to have found instances of particularly sensitive information, including computer login credentials (i.e., usernames and passwords), the details of legal infractions, and certain medical listings.”

So based on what happened the last decades it might be difficult to claim companies only collect the absolute necessary data - or do you have any proof for this Marius? :wink:

Btw: No one (google customer or not) agreed to this wardriving capturing peta bytes of payload data (included encrypted one which probably all can be decrypted as of today). I also doubt that apple specifically writes in their TOS that they permanently scan what devices are around you and that they tag it with gps location and send it home. They will rather write something less self-incriminating like “data collection for security reasons”. You probably will find a similar worded part in the agreement you accepted when using philips hue.

Sure, but if you totally isolate the hue bridge (including from HA) you loose control from within HA…

2 Likes

long story, but you’re talking about google/iOS, not about Hue specifically, and thats what this topic is about.

but then again, you at least admit this

well, your suggestions made me believe thats what you meant with these remarks

But now I understand you were simply talking about general network concepts. That is ofc a very valid information to take into account when securing your network.

Also, I am not defending HUE in any way.
Its just that we are better served with actual facts, than mere here say and accusing 3d parties.

2 Likes

So what options are available if we don’t want to use the Philips Hue?

Depends on what your uses are.

So I’ve switched back to ZHA after running into the limitations of the Hue Hub again.

I’ve recently found out that the Hue Tap Dial Switch was causing stability issues with ZHA. Now that I have the Hue Tap Dial Switch not paired with ZHA, it seems to stay stable, even with 90+ devices.

So I’ve decided to switch to Niko switches that use a battery and are more compatible than the FriendsOfHue buttons that use Zigbee Green, which is not supported broadly. I’ve used the FoH buttons in the past with Z2M but it was not stable enough so switched to the Hue Tap Dial Switch back then.

I’ve also tried the Hue Secure contact sensors, but they were really slow to respond compared to the frient sensors I already had.

Now have paired with ZHA:
47 Hue lamps
04 Hue motion sensors
12 Niko battery switch
02 Niko wall outlets with power measuring
09 frient door/window sensors
06 frient power plugs with power measuring
06 Nod-On dry contact relays (controlling heating)
08 Bosch Smart Home detectors/sensors/siren

I use the diyhue addon.

Little bit fiddly to setup (check out the GitHub issues), but otherwise works well for me.

I’ve got it controlling hue bulbs right alongside wiz led strips and other Wi-Fi bulbs and everything works as if it were a hue bulb. Yes, even entertainment areas and dynamic scenes!

Once you have the addon installed, check out @Mariusthvdb’s thread, his hue scene switcher code is a great resource to learn how to do stuff with hue scenes in HA.

I think that addon is no longer maintained but is now this. (I have no experience with either)

Can you use the entertainment part to use with sync box?

Supposedly, I haven’t tried it.

There’s also Hyperion-ng

Which probably easily outperforms the proprietary hue stuff in every aspect.

Friend “cloned” his realtime video output on a esphome RGB matrix with Hyperion over WiFi - very impressive what’s possible on low end hardware when combined with powerful FOSS! (Same goes for HA!)

I agree, in theory… but the hue product line’s performance and quality are tough to beat.

1 Like

So, everyone needs to make that decision for themselves on what they want/need.

Privacy? Ease of use? Can you get both? Maybe. But, the setup might be more. Is that in your wheelhouse?

I am always leaning towards privacy, local control, no cloud services, etc. But, again, it is up to each individual to decide.

2 Likes

Paulmann has a lot of really nice looking “hue compatible” bulbs.

They might be a good option for people already invested in hue, but don’t want to support Signify.

They don’t distribute outside Europe though.

Really want to import one of these, but Paulmann says they are 220v only.

Lies! I suspect there’s a 110/220 switcher powering the whole bulb, I might just import one anyway and find out.

While some people only go for the good looks (not sure when on or off…) but I’m mainly astonished how low the light output of a 6.3W bulb can be… as low as 470lm.

Not sure if it is the rgb part but I own led bulbs that output the same amount of lumens at around half the watts.

Haha, you got me, I want these for a fixture where the bulbs are exposed. Only zigbee/rbgcct/filament bulbs I can find.

I know the efficiency of some hue bulbs isn’t great either. California won’t let them sell the Rgb gu10’s!

(So I have to sneak them in from AZ, lol)

maybe a off-topic question: Can you connect those Paulmann Zigbee bulbs and led strips to the Philips Hue Hub?

I wouldn’t say HomeKit could never go away: it could be excluded from a future revision of the Hue hub.

The MyQ Home Bridge Hub (with homekit) was a thing that existed and then Chamberlain claimed that nobody used it so it was discontinued. Maybe that’s true or maybe they are just bent on making sure everyone only uses their walled garden, either way HomeKit support was lost.

According to hueblog, yes. Apparently they work quite well and even match the color temperature.

1 Like

If like me you’ve just ditched the Hue hub but kept the bulbs and switches you might find the blueprint I just uploaded useful, it mimics, as far as I can, the behaviour of the switches when attached to the hub by cycling around scenes within a given area (as well as some things the hub didn’t do like double and triple click actions for the switch buttons). There aren’t any of the fancier things like dynamic scenes or entertainment areas, but I never used those in the first place, and because it’s now cycling between HA scenes rather than hue ones I can include my tasmota smart plugs in the scenes to turn on other non-smart lights.

Blueprint is at Switch scenes using Hue Dimmer Switch attached directly to ZHA, hopefully it’s useful to people who are not me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, I’ve switched away from ZHA (with ZBDongle-E) again. After almost a week of fiddling and trying to get it stable it just wouldn’t stay stable. Every few hours it would crash with no obvious culprit to point to.

Have now moved everything to Z2M (with ZBDongle-P) and put some more effort into setting up and optimizing Z2M and it seems to be rock solid now. Let’s see if it will be stable for at least a week without reboots…

Also exchanged the USB3 extension cable I had with a USB2 extension cable for the Zigbee dongle and it makes a positive difference in the LQI/signal quality.