Drayton Wiser Home Assistant Integration

I’ve found different way, which I think is not documented anywhere:

1. Turn TRV top to + and hold it there
  2. Red light showing
  3. Keep holding
  4. No lights showing
  5. Keep holding
  6. Red light showing and TRV starts to retract
  7. TRV has retracted and is in the same state as after pairing with hub - green light solid, blue and red are flashing

At this point it is easy to unscrew valve if you need to replace batteries - if radiator is very thin and valve is mounted vertically it’s really hard to access battery compartment.

Same as after pairing turn TRV top to - and hold until there is solid blue light - TRV is calibrating by pushing pin down until it can’t go any further.

NIce, i do struggle to get itrvs off sometimes.

Hello,
As im pissed off of the chinese TRV’s im about to buy a Wiser kit. Could you please tell me how stable are these TRV’s now in HASS? Also, I have a Hot water heatpump so i dont need it to control the heat source, just the TRV’s. Is it a good choice?

ITS FAB… but then we’re biased :slight_smile: Excellent support , works locally, unofficial support from wiser, stable, what else can we ask for…

However Wiser is designed for a traditional gas boiler (combi or system) Ive never heard of someone using it with a HP.

That said… If you simply dont connect the boiler CH wires I dont think wiser would know, @msp1974 runs some test/dev kit and Im sure he didnt splash out on a second boiler :slight_smile:

Does anyone else have experience of HP?

1 Like

I think I may have answered my own question regarding the Auto-Balancing TRVs. I found a video from Drayton explaining how they work, in which they also directly address the question of whether they work with the Wiser iTRVs (short answer is yes and they are recommended to complement them - relevant section starts at 16:00, although the whole video is worth a watch). They are available as just the valve without the TRV head as well by the look of it e.g. here.

2 Likes

@jamiebennett I’m not sure if this is the correct place for feedback on the Wiser app itself, but as the release has been mentioned here I figured it makes sense. I’ve just updated my Android Wiser app and noticed that under the hub info in Device details, the Heat Source type is blank. If I edit it I can select ‘oil boiler’ but after a few seconds it dissappears and the field is blank again.

This was always present in the previous version.

Previous version of app:

I’ve just updated and mine is the same, although I have Gas Boiler set instead of Oil Boiler. It’s also missing the Control Type option that was present in the previous version. Looks like a bug to me.

Thanks for the feedback. Strange this one, I’ll pass it on to the team to fix.

2 Likes

Wiser works with heat pumps and it is an option as the source type. Wire up the ‘external controls’ input of the heat pump to Wiser.

3 Likes

So it is!! Ive never looked at that part of the app for… sooo long :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, Thank you a lot for this integration. I was messing with Schneider apps and this brings me all I need (and more) inside home assistant :slight_smile:

Defining schedule is so easy compare to what it is possible in the app.

Is it possible to user Wiser devices without connecting the hub to the internet? As I see I’ve everything maybe except the device association?

I would like to remove internet access because I discovered recently the hub consumes my bandwidth ( > 20Mb/s) and I really don’t know why?

Does the integration communicate only with the hub or it needs a connection to the Wiser cloud?

Thank you a lot for all the work :slight_smile:

1 Like

There seems something very wrong there. My Wiser Hub has transferred approx 100MB of data in total over the past 5 days since the router last restarted. Are you sure the 20Mbits per second is correct that that equates to approx 9GB per hour.

Almost all of the Wiser Hub traffic should be local to your network and not touch the wider internet

my wiser hub is connected to the wiser cloud so it communicates. i have to isolate the wifi in order to have better information.

the only information i have is from my ISP box which something like this:

in green is what the hub is sending which is near 20Mb/s all the time :frowning:

Does it matter which kit i should order if im using heatpump? They have configurator on their site which asks me to choose between combined/conventional boiler.

As the wiser system is smart, and learns how zones respond to heat over time, shouldn’t all of the lock shield valves be fully open & let the wiser system balance the system instead ?

It’s probably best you raise a question with Schneider to identify why you are seeing this volume of data traffic.

The combined v conventional will be whether you need a 1 or 2 channel controller. Ie a 2nd channel for hot water. If your heat pump has different controls for heating and heating the water you will need the 2 (conventional). If not, just the 1 (combination).

AIUI ‘works locally’ means this HA integration communicates directly with the hub and not with the wiser cloud.
However I’m not sure to what extent the hub functions when deprived of WAN connectivity.
No WAN access certainly means no firmware updates. Also, probably, no working eco/comfort mode or insights.
Whilst here, the bandwidth it consumes doesn’t seem to be 20Mb/s, it certainly seems to send a fair volume of data. I confess to being uneasy about this and keep meaning to try it out firewalled off like the other IoT devices I own.

Thank you very much. Yes the pump has controls for DHW separately (which right now i doesnt use). It commands a 3-Way valve to heat the boiler. So i have to order the conventional kit?