Drayton Wiser Home Assistant Integration

Are you able to set up template sensors in HA to connect the temperature reading from each TRV. Here is some sample YAML for template.yaml:

- sensor                       
    - unique_id: 'kitchen_itrv_temp'
      name: 'Kitchen iTRV Temperature'
      unit_of_measurement: '°C'
      device_class: 'temperature'              
      state_class: 'measurement'
      state: "{{ state_attr('sensor.wiser_itrv_kitchen_signal', 'temperature') }}"

Bummer! This seemed like such a good integration!

I can’t tell if the YAML works until August once everything is up and running (house is built). Just trying to plan everything now.

@enoch85 ,
I was reading your comments and Im slightly confused. The integration here works with the Wiser iTRVs and the heathub. Actually the integration works directly with the heathub which in turn communicates with the trvs/thermostat/plugs. So if you want to use this integration then you need the heathub. Is “gateway” something different?

I think dunxd is hinting EU WIser is different?

Just curious from the community, Ive just moved into a new home, high ceilings etc. and Im noticing that in some rooms the TRV (Wiser) temperature is around 2C out (using a ESPHome based temp sensor). These are rooms which dont have roomstats just trvs, are you guys seeing the same? Im my old house the temperatures were barely 1c out… Currently just telling wiser +2C but im looking to get some more roomstats

This is what I’m getting: Smarta hem system med Wiser för bostadsägare | Schneider Electric Sverige

From what I understand it has nothing to do with the Drayton?

I do believe we have people using the integration with this gateway and whilst it is not the Drayton Wiser gateway, it runs a version of the same firmware. If LGO44 is on this forum, maybe he can comment.

Admittedly, the integration mainly focusses on the heating and smartplugs, we did add the ability to recognise blinds and dimmable lights but not yet control (mainly because we do not have them to get the control commands), both of which are not yet available in the UK.

I suspect that much of what is available on the continent, will be coming to the UK at some point (we get forgotten about now we’ve stupidly left the EU! :grinning:).

So it is up to you if you want to take the option of getting the gateway. As said before, if your willing to put some work in with us (ie be able to intercept the commands from the app to the gateway so we know what they are and provide json outputs from the hub so we can see parameters available) I think we can make the integration function with your gateway and devices.

Mark

3 Likes

Thanks Mark!

Sure, I’m willing to dig in! Only the fact that you are willing to support it makes me confident in that this integration is the way to go! Maybe we can make this the official Wiser integration down the road?

Ping @LGO44 btw :wink:

Supporting devices we have no access to is however kinda fraught with … interesting difficulties, ie we cant test it :slight_smile: but we have some workarounds , namely a fake server where we serve up predefined payloads. @enoch85 sure, get us the payloads, and more importantly what APIs which need to call to turn things on/off and we’ll try and put them in . Ideally if you can fork this repo and issue tested PRs we’d be happy to review and merge into master…

BTW The german Wiser Stuff looks AWESOME

I’m thinking maybe I’ll send you some devices if my wallet allows. That way you can keep track of any updates, and test it out.

Another option would be to dig deep into the core. :dark_sunglasses: But, I don’t know how much time I will have on my hands. The future will tell. :slight_smile:

To answer your question, personally I experience the same thing. My ceilings are 2.4m and the iTRVs are regularly 1.5 - 2C too high. At first I thought that Wiser’s algorithm was simply over compensating for the fact that they are often mounted only a few feet off the ground, but it appears to also be related to the pipework heating up the valve body, resulting in a temperature difference that is non-linear.

One thing I have done and you could try, which does mitigate the issue, is to mount the iTRV and needle valve on the return pipe, instead of the flow (you will need a bi-directional valve). The return pipe is much cooler and does not seem to skew the results as much, perhaps about 1C at worse. I’ve then simply set rooms which have only iTRVs to be 1C higher than what I actually want it. This seems to work well enough, albeit I still get this annoying constant valve adjustment in one of my rooms that I mentioned in an earlier post.

Other than that, the only other real solution seems to be adding a room thermostat.

The coding isnt too bad , so get stuck in!! We’ll help if needed

1 Like

yeah, my new place the ceilings are also very high, bit higher than the last place and Im seeing the same. Im not going to swap the valves over, thats more work than Id like (Draining the system etc), easier to just add 2C to the target temp until I get more room stats… Each one appears to be like £70 each, just keeping an eye on amazon warehouse (got a new trv for £36 today - no massive saving tbh)

It works, and I have a ton of old ESP8266’s begging to be deployed as temperature sensors!!!

Keep an eye on City Plumbing, they sometimes have TRVs on offer for £29+VAT and I think maybe ToolStation. These items were definitely cheaper in the summer! Otherwise, yeah Amazon do occasionally dip the price. Two of mine are Amazon warehouse returns that were actually still sealed in the box that I got for around £34. Still, not cheap for these little puppies!!

1 Like

I don’t know whether there is an algorithm for rooms with only one iTRV, as the room temp and that reported by the iTRV are always the same.

I suspect that there might not be any algorithm that Wiser can use for all rooms - room height, shape, radiator design, insulation, window position might all have different effects on the temperature measured within the iTRV. Some sort of room specific calibration may be necessary, using a roomstat or another (cheaper) smart thermometer to find out how far out the iTRV is over a period of time.

Drayton is part of the Schneider Electric group, Drayton products are marketed by Schneider Electric in many countries, particularly in France.
The dimmable and cover controls are built by another SE company (Merten) and integrated into Wiser Heat Offer.
Another point is that each country manage the offer ( in some country there are windows sensor…) and the application Wiser Home is in line with the sold product in the country.
You can also find another Wiser offer : Wiser energy for energy management.

Yeah, but by the time its summer, i wont need it :slight_smile: Ironically 2 years ago i sold a trv and roomstat, it wasnt needed in the old house…Cest La Vie

Another good trick is sometimes I see a “Kit” going cheap, openbox, ebay etc, Id just buy the keep , keep the trv/roomstat and then sell the hub standalone. they go for around £20-30

I’ve been having the same issue. High ceilings in some rooms and the TRVs usually read 2.5-3 degrees over the actual room temp (as read by Aqara sensors) when the radiators are on.

I’ve created an automation to keep boosting the heating until the Aqara temperature reaches the Wiser setpoint (within 0.5 of a degree). I’ve had it running for the last few weeks and it seems to be working well. I’ve got one for each room that doesn’t have a room stat.

1 Like

Each country choose the product that it will sell and support.

Schneider Electric want to provide solution to manage energy , to reach this aim SE propose also devices to measure energy, to control and command ; smart plugs, heating actuators for radiators , with energy measurement. Powertag to measure the consumption even on third product… ethernet gateway… Wiser Energy | Schneider Electric Global with cybersecurity in the box.

1 Like

Thanks!

Yeah I know about SE Energy sold here in Sweden, but it’s not for me. I will measure energy through all individual power outlets (also Wiser).

That’s a great idea. Would you mind sharing the code for those who may be less experienced?

1 Like