Drayton Wiser Home Assistant Integration

I dont think there is a way the integration can reboot it and no function to reboot on schedule. Certainly if on red light HA can no longer talk to it. If your cloud is showing disconnected, this maybe a problem. Presume the wiser app says the same. Have you got any firewall blocking? Is it updating firmware, ie what version is it on. Latest is 3.10.6.

Mineā€™s been dropping the connection more recently. Iā€™ve got mesh WiFi but Iā€™ve bound it to the hub thatā€™s around 5m away in a horizontal line! Iā€™ve also set the WiFi channel to one away from my neighbours.

When connected it is showing the cloud entity as connected however.

Be good to get to the bottom of this.

Heat Hub firmware 3.10.6. Green light currently on hub - I assume that means itā€™s connected via internet to the cloud and everything is working as normal - but the HA ā€œWiser Cloudā€ entity continues to show "Disconnected.
The reason I asked about being able to reboot the hub via HA software is because all electronics benefit from a reboot occasionally, even if no problems. Even before this spate of disconnections, I was rebooting the hub every few weeks. But this involves digging into a cupboard and switching off both the hub and the boiler via a mains switch. A bit of a hassle and a software solution would be nice.

And just to test this assumption about cloud connection, I switched off wifi on my mobile phone so only using 4G and the Wiser app can still connect to hub. Wiser Cloud still showing ā€œDisconnectedā€

I think the green light means connected to wifi not necessarily to wiser cloud. If it seems connected to cloud, download a debug from the hub device in HA and see if that shows connected. If you want to post it as an issue on the github, attach thw debug file and iā€™ll have a look.

In terms of reboot, you could use a sonoff type power switch that hard wires between hub and power from boiler and use this to reboot it.

Debug ā€œCloudConnectionStatusā€: ā€œConnectedā€,
This is consistent with being able to connect whilst phone not connected to LAN

Meanwhile Wiser Cloud Entity continues to indicate ā€œDisconnectedā€

Iā€™m not too fussed about the latter but Iā€™d like to know why my LAN/Cloud wifi connection is dropping out more frequently these days and wonder if this inconsistency is a clue.

Just ordered the kit and canā€™t wait to get stuck in. Have found this thread incredibly useful and interesting. One question: can we extract the TRVsā€™ current ambient (not the setpoint) temperature, or is that sensor not available?

Now a really weird observation. After downloading the Wiser Hub diagnostics via HA the next time I looked, all the Wiser readings in Lovelace were inaccurate or reading 5C etc. They had been OK until the diagnostics download. I solved this by rebooting the HA Raspberry Pi and they all went back to normal. AND the Wiser Cloud entity now reads ā€œconnectedā€.
I have no explanation other than perhaps, after rebooting the Wiser Hub (which Iā€™d done earlier today after the drop-out) itā€™s a good idea to also reboot HA??

Iā€™m experiencing the same Wi-Fi dropouts so Iā€™m thinking of powering the hub separately either via a sonoff or smart plug. That way I can remotely reboot the hub and hopefully bring it back online if it drops out

Oh for an Ethernet option!

2 Likes

Yes it is on the TRV signal sensor as an attribute.

1 Like

It shouldnt need a HA reboot as it will just keep trying on its interval. I guess sometimes things get a little out of sorts and a reboot helps.

You could do this with an automation using the attributes on the operation mode sensor.

If the minutes since last update is say 5 mins, then power off the sonoff, delay 10s, power on the sonoff.

1 Like

Itā€™s this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.geotogether.home

Before investing time and money in this, I would need to be very certain that the WiFi disconnect would be resolved by this power cycling, and wasnā€™t caused by some environmental factor.

But my first question - how are you establishing that the hub is disconnected?

1. Red light on Hub itself
  2. Wiser app saying the Hub is not connected to the cloud
  3. This integrationā€™s Wiser Cloud sensor for the hub in HA

I would suggest setting up a ping sensor in HA to record how often the Hub is offline at a network level. You might see patterns that suggest a cause, or find that it is always reachable by ping. I have ping sensors for all my critical infrastructure.

Iā€™d also consider whether the hub being offline occasionally is a big problem - if the ZigBee network still stays up all your scheduling and temp control should still work fine - you just might not be able to action changes to config immediately or trigger automations via HA.

It probably isnā€™t that helpful for me to say my hub seems to be online all the time despite having walls in between hub and access point.

1 Like

I agree with your assessment and suggestions DunXD. I too have HA pinging routers, APs and Wiser Hub and it was the latter which drew my attention to the amount of time the hub was off line. Iā€™m certainly not going to rush into a hardware ( eg Sonos) reboot solution . Iā€™ve now got a ā€œWiser Cloudā€ status indicator adjacent to my HA Wiser Hub Ping monitor so I can more easily check the status from wherever.
I also have the option to bring the nearest AP closer to the hub but again, I wonā€™t rush into that before getting more data. Iā€™m all too familiar with rushing to solve what may have been only a temporary issue only to create further unanticipated problems and unnecessary complexity.

My thinking is that if the ping always shows online then the issue most likely is software/memory related and would be solved by a restart.

If the device is low level off the network regularly (i.e. not responding to ping) then spend more time diagnosing if some environmental interference is the issue before spending any cash, and certainly before splicing a sonoff onto the power cable for your hub. What if the sonoff is less reliable than the hub?

Thank you, downloaded and connected to my IHD.
Is this the addon being used to get the data into HA?

Issue communication between HA and Wiser Hub

I have also some communication issues between my HA host and my WiserHub.

I read all the conversations on the forum; I imagine another scenario.

My scenario

For my point of view the WiserHub can manage a certain number of connections as server (often for Schneider: 32) or per client.

I have already seen such issue when the client opens a new connection after an error, without closing the previous. When the maximum number of connections is reached itā€™s impossible to open a new oneā€¦

In this case there is two ways to recover:

• Wait until the Wiserhub close the connection on time out
  • A power cycle clears all the connections and then the communications capability is available again.

To test this scenario: I ā€˜ve made some tests

In HA I restart the system and I check the communication on Wireshark. In the following example I made it 6 times. For the 5 firsts the communication restart but the 6th Iā€™ve got an issue

The Issue starts at 14:54:21.649 and ends at 13:31:16:.270, so time-out is about 36:54.

The led of the WiserHub is still green and the wiser entities are not refreshed in HA, they had been initialized.

I can share my results

1 Like

I did not need an add on. I set up some rest sensors as described here which grab the data from the Geo API.

1 Like