Drayton Wiser Home Assistant Integration

Thanks for the suggestion and the work you and Mark Parker put into the Wiser integration.

I purchased the Wiser plug assuming it would be able to be controlled by the Room Thermostat, and probably the TRV’s as well, just by using the Wiser app. I was very surprised to find that it couldn’t. It seemed an obvious use for it.

As it was summer so the heating’s not in use and I have plenty of summer jobs to do I put it to one side to sort out later.

Immediately after I made my post and having read jamiebennett’s explanation of how Wiser handles Room Thermostats and TRV’s in the same room I realised I can use a Home Assistant automation to control the Wiser plug to achieve what I required. I already use other Home Assistant automations with my Wiser system so I don’t know why I didn’t think of it before.

However I still think that the Wiser app should natively allow the plug to be controlled by the Room Thermostat and TRV’s as I suspect that probably the majority if Wiser users don’t use Home Assistant.

2 Likes

Blimey…

So @jamiebennett joins the thread and the entire thread explodes with excitement and posts … COOOOOOOL :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply.
As already mentioned this is the same as the Electrical Heat Switch suggested by jammiebennett.

I am also looking for a way of controlling my immersion heater by something Wiser, and also Home Assistant. This should be suitable as it’s rated at 16amp and is probably better made and therefore safer than using a Sonoff TH16.

Be careful, this switch is not a load switch, it is a temperature switch so needs a thermostat to control it. It won’t be suitable for hot water control at the moment.

2 Likes

Thanks @jamiebennett . It sounds like I need to hold on for the relay for immersion heaters that @LGO44 referred to then. Can you confirm if this is coming to the UK and whether the timeframe is the same as France i.e. early 2023.

I’d also like to see this feature. I really like how the display looks and was a bit disappointed that in reality it’s just a black screen all the time. I also find it tricky to wake without changing something. I wouldn’t mind changing/charging batteries every six months to have at-a-glance temperature instead of reaching for my phone.

2 Likes

Re: the disconnection issues: I installed the Wiser system yesterday, and everything was fine until mid this morning, when the hub stopped responding to almost all requests, both from the Drayton app and from HA. I’m a new user on this forum so can’t send DMs yet, but once I gain the ability will take up @jamiebennett’s kind offer to take MAC addresses of those affected.

A more general point: Thanks so much to @jamiebennett and team for designing the Drayton system in such a way that this HA integration is possible, and thanks so much to @Angelo_Santagata for the integration!

1 Like

Edmund, welcome to the Wiser Integration group.

FYI (and others), Jamie and I have been talking and I have been looking at our code to see if it is something about the integration and the way it queries the hub that could be causing some issue.

I have made some changes and will be running this over the weekend to see if it makes any difference (I get 1-2 drop outs a day so should show improvement if there quickly).

If it improves, I will release this early next week. If it doesn’t, I’ll try some other things and do some more Wi-Fi based testing with my development hub.

Will keep you all updated.

4 Likes

All I can confirm at this time is that controlling the water heater/tank is a very important use case that we are working on.

2 Likes

Hi. I’ve just set up Wiser at home and I’m trying to add it to my pre-existing home assistant setup. I’ve added the relevant repo in HACS and the ‘Drayton Wiser Integration for Home Assistant’ entry now appears on the end of my list of HACS repos.

The readme implies that the hub should now just appear on the main homeassistant integrations page, but there’s nothing there. The only entry relating to wiser I can see in the logs is the usual single line about the dangers of using a HACS component.

Can anyone shed any light on where the process has gone wrong, please? Or whether there are any more diagnostics to be found somewhere?

I have tried re-downloading the integration and I have updated home assistant to the latest version and restarted it several times. The Wiser hub is definitely accessible from home assistant, I can get a response via curl successfully.

Many thanks for any help.

Mark & Jamie, this is great to hear always good to get positive input from the vendor on improving an integration.

I’ve been getting a fair number of disconnections both to the WiFi and the Wiser Cloud. I was planning to post more details over the weekend when I have a chance to pull the data together. Would this still help?

1 Like

Andy, the auto discovery uses zeroconf (aka mdns). It maybe on your setup this is blocked.

You can add manually by clicking on the Add Integration button (if not in the list do a shift F5 to reload cache).

1 Like

Excellent, sorted now. I did try and manually add it but it wasn’t in the list at that point. Thanks

@mgb66 thanks for the offer. Appreciate the joint effort to work this out.

I have released a 3.1.7beta1 version (as a pre-release) that has the fix in it that I am testing on the basis that more people trying it out gives more certainty of improved v not improved more quickly. As said before, I have no idea if it is the issue or not and whether it will fix it or not but we must try! :wink:

If anyone experiencing drops outs wants to update to this version and let me know if you see improvements. If you don’t see the update available, you will need to enable ‘Show beta versions’.

4 Likes

Thanks @msp1974. Really appreciate your effort looking into this. I’ve been waiting for a disconnection to occur for a few days now I have lots of monitoring in place, but rather frustratingly, and as is usually the way when you’re waiting for it to happen to do some further diagnosis, it’s failing to materialise.

I’ve installed the beta, so I’ll monitor over the weekend. As should be predicted the hub went offline whilst HA restarted but all’s back up now!

I’ve doubt it is a red hearing. My router was set to “wireless mode - N only” for years and hub was able to connect to internet and I’ve done the whole setup. Only hours later it started flashing red light indicating there is no internet - logging directly via hub wi-fi I’ve noticed that firmware version has changed.
I’ve just validated this by switching my router from “auto mode” to “N only” and hub couldn’t connect, flicked back to “auto mode” and it works again. I don’t know how old hub is, but it’s clear that at some point wireless mode configuration has changed in firmware. This is might be the cause of so many 1 star reviews on trust pilot where people just can’t get hub to work and are advised to buy range extenders and eventually just return setup for the refund. Simple line informing on having router in auto or legacy wireless mode on 2.4ghz network probably would go a long why.
As far as room thermostat goes - it is clearly bricked as hub got restarted during firmware update Drayton Wiser room thermostat bricked - YouTube normal reset process doesn’t do anything.

Hi RolandLT,

It may be a network configuration issue indeed. Let me check with the team exactly what configurations we support. The hub is now around 5 years old.

If the room thermostat isn’t responding to a reset then it sounds like it could need replacing. If you are still in warranty the support team will be able to help.

Hi all. First post so please go easy. I’m looking at the wiser TRV only as they are good value and ZigBee. Can I directly use the TRV with HA with no hub and no thermostat? I have nest thermostats and don’t want to replace those as they look good. I want use the valves in their own to shut off radiators at different times if day.

Thanks.

Blakadder’s Zigbee Device Compatibility Repository is your friend.

It lists the Drayton Wiser iTRV, so yes it looks like it’s compatible with both Zigbee2MQTT (almost everything is) and ZHA. Zigbee2MQTT has by far the best compatibility. I switched to it recently after coming up against limitations in ZHA. If you’re an advanced user it’s worth making the switch, not just for compatibility, but also configurability and controlability.

Another good resource for checking Zigbee compatibility is the official Connected Standards Alliance Certified Products Search