Drayton Wiser Home Assistant Integration

@robertwigley It’s good to hear first hand experience that confirms Wiser functions well without a WAN connection. That’s my primary concern, and not the privacy issues. @Chris_J I do have the hub on an IoT VLAN and it’s the only device on there that I’ve given WAN access (based on IP which undermines the previous isolation of that VLAN).
TBH I expect I will use the Wiser smart modes once I have a baseline to compare with. So will need to grant it WAN access anyway.
Re privacy, it is more a matter of interest as to what is sent to the cloud and how it is used. There are numerous opportunities for data mining even if the device is isolated from the local network.

Why would you need a hub for this? A single channel dry contact relay should do the job. There are ESP8266 based relays what you can set up with ESPHome or Tasmota and if you use Tasmota, I believe you can set a schedule on it as well. But make sure that the Hot Wayer Cylinder has a working submersible thermostat to control the water temperature.

Actually that can be integrated into an ESP as a DIY project just to call for heat from the heater.

Because as I explained, it’s not for me and it’s not to be connected into Home Assistant. It’s for an elderly relative, who I want to give smart control of their hot water system to.

Then probably the easiest out of the box solution is a Shelly 1.

https://www.shelly.cloud/knowledge-base/devices/shelly-1/

Assuming that the hot water control is just an on/off switch (timer switch) currently fitted in a box and the temperature control is taken care by the heater itself through a thermostat fitted in the hot water cylinder.

The Shelly 1 would replace the timer switch. You can fit it inside a junction box and you can also wire up a physical switch to it to control the hot water on/off state manually without anything “smart”.

Just to note, the Shelly 1 is a DRY contact relay. So there is no 220V output to the relay itself.

I haven’t used Shelly before. Does it allow schedules to be set and changed in a way that an elderly person would understand? Also would it provide a way of mimicking a hot water boost for a say an hour? I need to keep it simple for them.

Me neither. I used Sonoff, but they haven’t got this sort of nice dry contact device. Sonoff has a 5V / 12V powered relay, which hasn’t got the external switch option, and neither a plastic cover. Better to ask about it in one of Shelly topics. Or on the Facebook Group:

But for sure Shelly has app for Android and iOS. And they have a weekly schedule function as well. But I don’t know exactly how it looks like, how intuitive it is and how many schedules can be set up.

Here is a screenshot from the app:

It is a relay. On and off… I have no idea, that can you set up scenes like that, to turn on for 1 hour only.

https://www.shelly.cloud/products/shelly-1-smart-home-automation-relay/

Thanks. I will look into it further. Although it’s a massively cheaper option, it may be overly complicated for them. I know using the Wiser hub just for hot water seems like overkill, but it’s simple and designed specifically for hot water control (as well as heating of course).

thank you @darcey dunxd @Angelo_Santagata robertwigley for your replies and sorry for my late reply but i didn’t receive notifications. I have to check my settings :wink:

I’ll try to dig the analyze deeper. I’m familiar with wireshark. I think if I setup a wifi connection to my computer I’ll be able to capture traffic and check which hosts it contacts. I unfortunately don’t have advanced firewall / VLAN but i should think about it !

My main concern about traffic is not really privacy even i care about it a lot. I worry more about malicious install which can be used to attack remote target.

I had a look on my ISP app to check network traffic and it’s still high over time. I would prefer it is normal Wiser data than malicious one.

I managed to accidentally deleted a Wiser Room from HA Devices (I was looking for another room I had removed). Is there a way to get it back? It exists in the Wiser app still.

Edit: It has already reappeared :slight_smile:

Really weird problem today.

I have automations and scripts set up to change between preset schedules for 3 rooms based on the value of 2 Boolean helper values controlled by switches in Lovelace.

It’s been working fine for a few weeks but all of a sudden the “set schedule” for 1 of the rooms isn’t working any more. The script is still the same, the schedule file is still there. I’m just not seeing the schedule for the 1 room update when I view in the wiser app. The other rooms schedules update fine.

I’m still on v2.7 of the integration

And wiser hub firmware 3.2.2

Seems that one of the climate entity names got changed somehow… problem solved. But still weird as this isn’t something I did…

Hi, I am using this amazing integration and trying to learn more about all the attributes. Could anyone explain what the LTS sensors are and what this option in the Configuration does please? What happens if I tick this?

"Enable LTS Sensors is to create sensors for Long Term Statistics for rooms and hub heating and hot water demand. Default is unticked."

It gives you extra sensors for tracking heating demand, temperature and target temperature over time. The ones displayed under Diagnostic under the device.

You can untick the option again to disable them if you decide you don’t want/need them. I find them really useful as it allows you to plot the temperature on history graphs.

@Dunc63 , I think it stands for Long Term Statistics! Theres some info about them here! I believe its related to how HA records and stores the data from the sensors. Appears to be summarised every hour and I imagine feeds into the history graph!

I was wondering if anyone had any bright ideas/help about the situation I’ve just found myself in as what I thought would be a simple task has me stumped about how best to proceed!

I live in an all electric flat. Immersion heater/electric boiler for the hot water and each room has electric panel heaters. Used to have a dumb siemens controller thing on the wall which I replaced a while ago with a 2 channel (1 hot water, 1 heating) wiser kit and have been using the integration (great work btw) to get control into hassio.

For the longest time I have really really wanted to sort out some sort of multi-room heating, ideally integrated into hassio so it could just work of the presence sensing stuff I already have.

Each radiator has a 16A fuse switch next to it and are on separate heating relays to the main circuit breakers which are in a separate box.
The hot water circuit breaker is separate and then there’s a wide circuit breaker over with a sticker on that says zone 1, 2, 3 and supplies the rooms electric heaters.

None of the TRVs obviously will work for me. I had tried putting a 16a tuya zigbee switch on the output of the fuse and before the radiator, but it started getting really hot and I had to take it off.

I then saw the chat earlier on the thread about the electrical heater switch … which seemed like it would be perfect! I had an electrician around doing some other work and asked him to install 2 of them on the 2 radiators we use and got another thermostat.

I cant now seem to set anything to turn on channel 1 (the heating relays)…
The app wouldn’t allow me to move any of the electric heating switches into a room UNLESS I took the channel 1 off and changed it to none.
Only if I did that would I then be allowed to move an electrical heat switch into the room. Now the thermostat and EHS do work as intended… but now there’s nothing to allow me to actually turn on channel 1/the main heating relays. It’s so close but ultimately worst than before. If I manually turn it on with the button on the hub, then they work as expected.

I was wondering if there was any way through hassio I could turn on channel 1 permanently? It doesn’t seem there is as as soon as you take a thermostat out of the room the room disappears from the app. I cant seem to manually turn on the test room from the integration either. Alternatively if there was a way through hassio to turn on the electric heat switches then I could move something to channel 1 maybe in the app and control the switches through a hassio climate entity.

Any ideas??

I don’t have any electrical heat switches, but here’s the Drayton installation training video. I haven’t watched it yet, but it might be useful and/or solve your problem.

I have this implemented and it’s great.

I wanted to create a button on dashboard that:
On - sets all trvs to max open (highest temperature)
Off - sets all trvs to min (off)

The reason for this is I have a back boiler stove and when the stove is on I want to be able to drive the trvs to fully open and allow the hot water the stove is heating to flow into rads.

I was wondering best way to go about this ?

Previously I done this using a moment on Wiser app.
I want to move away from the moment as long term I want to do the following:

Have a sonoff thermometer connected to the stove pipe - when the range is within a certain temperature indicating stove is on:
set all trvs to max open (replacing the button)
send a signal to a ZigBee relay that is connected to my boiler controller - that switches off the boiler.

Currently what happens is that the stove is lighting , I need to set the moment on the wiser app to open the trvs. The trvs call for heat. There is a stat on the stove pipe that knocks out the boiler but as the stove yo yos in temperature the boiler comes on and off.

I want to replace an old energy and heating management system with Wiser.
I manage shutters, lighting and sockets.
For heating I want to use the power measurements provided by the heatingactuators to create an Energy manager and load shedding if a threshold is reached.
To do this I use the wiser_*_lts_power provided by the Wiser integration.
I therefore realize a sensor adding all the instantaneous powers.
In the current state, these power values ​​are provided by Wiser almost immediately or with a delay of up to 4.5 minutes, when switching the actuator. I’ve made these measures using Wireshark traces Which is way too important because the house head circuit breaker can trip.

@jamiebennett what can explain these large variations and especially this too long Wiser response time? Isn’t energy management Schneider electric’s job?
@msp1974 is there a solution with our awesome integration to improve this?

You can activate moments from HA as well. If you look at the Wiser Hub device you will find your moments and press button entities.

Firstly, glad you like it.

You have a few options here.

1. You can call your moment in the integration. Moments are not enabled by default but in the config options you can enable. Then you can call the service button.press on the moment button that has been created.

2. You can use the boost service to set to 30C for x time.

3. You can use the climate.set_temperature service to set the temp to 30C. Note if you have schedules then unless in manual/heat mode it will return to scheduled temp at next event.

4. Do 3 above but also call climate.set_hvac mode to manual before setting temp to ensure in manual mode.

To close them, do a reverse of whatever option you took.