Drayton Wiser Home Assistant Integration

Thanks. This is a bug in this beta version. Will be fixed before final release.

Hey,

Can confirm that I can change the OpenTherm values using the Call Service function.

I changed “chflowactiveuppersetpoint” up and down without any issues.

Thanks and let me know if there are any other tests you need.

Mike

Not really any advantage for me to adjust these settings with my setup. I can adjust the dead maximum in my boiler menu (which is 80c) and also control the max flow temp (which is 65c) separately. I then get return temps of around 54c with all radiators on, so condensing. Boiler stays on almost continuously but at low temps to maintain room temps and boosts when it needs to as per the schedules for each room.

OpenTherm and the integration are working amazingly. I can see my flow and return temps, the required demand and everything is good. (Apart from battery life) that’s a separate issue.

I no longer use the Wiser app for anything, all controlled through HA.

Amazing work! Thank you

To elaborate on the 65c. After balancing my radiators accordingly, this is the flow temp that I know will return <55c and also maintain good heat from the rads in my setup. Never able to maintain a Delta t of 20c for some reason.

Type 22 rads x 14
Towel Rails x 4

Thanks

Thanks for the opentherm changes. I called the service setting “chFlowActiveUpperSetpoint” and confirmed it has the new value when viewing diagnostics.

The change did not appear to have any impact to the max flow temp on the boiler though.

After more investigation I noticed the value gets overwritten soon after being set. The time before it gets overwritten appears to correlate with the value for ‘Scan interval’ for the integration. It was getting overwritten with the default value after 30 seconds, changing ‘Scan interval’ to 120 kept the new value for 2 mins before being reset to the original value.

I did some tests and changed ChFlowActiveLowerSetpoint, which was confirmed in the diagnostics. This stayed at the new setting. Scan interval @ 10.

Interesting with my graphs. The cycling of the TRVs of around 2c. These are the ones in rooms without a thermostat. Believe the boiler is running continuously and it’s the TRV fluctuating.

Kitchen, Living Room, Hall, Our Bedroom all have Thermostats in.

Did the boiler follow the new limit?

Tried again but this time setting chFlowActiveLowerSetpoint and that does stay at the new setting. Repeated the test with chFlowActiveUpperSetpoint and get the same result as before, it stays set for the duration of Scan interval and then reverts back to the original value, 800 for my boiler.

Wonder if it is because the Max are available settings at the boiler? The min isn’t so the boiler is overriding it.

For my boiler, I have to physically rotate a dial to adjust the CH Flow temp, or in the menu adjust the maximum flow temp. Wouldn’t expect these to allow remote adjustment.

Would be nice to see the algorithm that is used for OpenTherm, similar to when you install weather compensation. You can then adjust the compensation curve at the boiler, that is obviously dealt with by Wiser.

Suppose though that it just works, the idea is that the boiler stays on and adjusts its flow temp based on what is being sent from Wiser rather than cycling all the time.

For me, it works well and I can see the flow and return temps adjusting in HA through the integration.

Would say that the Wiser Hub Drop outs are the main cause of frustration and need to be addressed. I’ve invested a fair amount of money into using Wiser and that is really a big sticking point.

I’ve noticed that it’s when I want to change something. Everything fine, adjust a setting and then boom, dropped out. Not sure of the relevance.

EDIT

I am seeing the same behaviour as other users:

• CH upper limit set successfully
  • Limit overwritten with the default value of 800 soon
  • No observable effect maximum boiler temperature

Is it low WiFi signal in the boiler location? My Google router consistently rates WiFi to the Wiser and boiler as “low”.

I suspect so, but it isn’t necessarily a deal breaker. My hub is in the kitchen, but until we have remodeled I am not adding an access point in there or moving the fridge to improve coverage.

My hub always shows up as having lower than -80db signal - often as low as -85. That would be classed as “Very Low”

It does drop offline every so often for up to an hour but I’ve learnt to live with it. It’s definitely got better with recent updates to the firmware and this integration. Still waiting on a further firmware update from Wiser which will hopefully make it more reliable.

The actions I took were setting up a dedicated SSID only on the access point that has the strongest signal (and turning the 2.4 radio power up to max), and making sure that SSID 2.4Ghz channel doesn’t overlap with my ZigBee channels.

This maybe made a bit of an improvement but hasn’t eliminated drop outs.

The best I’ve managed is -3db when I placed my access point next to the Hub, if anything probably too strong a signal. Normally see -35 to -40 and no drops over the past 6 months or so which is good. My Hub & access point are about 3 metres apart with clean line of sight. Anything worse than -70 is getting into the iffy range and beyond -80 I’m surprised it’s working reliably

We have a new version of the hub firmware coming out soon that will improve the handling of WiFi for people who are experiencing issues like the ones described in this thread but the recommendations above to improve signal strength to the hub are all very valid. Based on the very helpful feedback from the community we have made improvements that will hopefully improve the situation for you.

4 Likes

Looking forward to the update - Thanks Jamie

For info, the Beta 2 integration, Boost All Heating is now working. Thanks Mark

Looking forward to receiving it. :slight_smile: Thanks Jamie. :+1:

Thanks @jamiebennett - I appreciate it’s cosmetic only in the Wiser app, but as this setting isn’t exposed within this HA integration (that I’m aware of) it would be helpful to be able to check to see what heat source type is actually set - seeing as it affects the behaviour of the boiler.