E-paper display

@sinty, @bachoo786

I’ve been really busy with long days and way too much Factorio (factorio.com) but here is a dump of my esphome based nodes: https://github.com/fredrike/esphome-nodes I’ve added the package-display_node.yaml which is a package file to be used on the homeassistant side. I believe contains everything from the homeassistant side needed to get the display node to work, let me know if something is missing.

Edit: Here is my updated display. The black blob is moonphase and the energy readings at the bottom is from an ESP Sparsnäs and an IoTaWatt.

12 Likes

Just wanted to show mine!
Thank you @fredrike for your code. Will post mine later

8 Likes

@makai, could you share your code?

I have replicated your project, but on a 2.9 inch Waveshare display.

6 Likes

Where do you guys buy these eink displays? Last time I checked they were incredibly expensive for their resolution and size.

Bought mine on AliExpress. Yes it’s a bit expensive, 25€ for a 4.2".

Mine is attached to a Lolin D32, SDS011 (Air Quality), a BME280 (Temp, Humidity and Pressure), a buzzer and a LED (for notification). More info here: Air Quality Sensors + E-Ink Display using ESPHome

Done here: Air Quality Sensors + E-Ink Display using ESPHome

Sorry for the delay

Hi Makai,
I have the same display ?
Have you a code to share ?

Salutations Francaises :slight_smile:

Hi Twinsen68!

Click on the link in the post just above yours :slight_smile:

Bonne lecture :slight_smile:

Sorry i didn’t read all the post :flushed:

Started mine yesterday. Need something to put the board in. But for now I like the look.

7 Likes

I’ve found it already on aliexpress. Didn’t know they sold the cases separately.

Would you mind sharing your esp home code for your display setup? Thanks!

The case looks nice. Can you share a link?

Hey @Alexandru_Cruceanu, can you please share your YAML or a link to your github repo? I have a 2.7 inch ePaper display and thought it’d be easier to modify your code rather than starting from the bigger displays.

Thanks!

Hi @LUNZ.
Sorry, but i had to rebuild my Home Assistant Setup and i have lost all my ESPHOME config.
I hope to rewrite it as soon as possible and i’ll post the yaml here.
Thanks.

thanks for the quick response @Alexandru_Cruceanu! I’m looking forward to your post!

check out this addon to create automatic backups to google drive: https://github.com/sabeechen/hassio-google-drive-backup

@fredrike thanks for linking your code! it really helped me figure it out with my specific device. I’m using an Oracle Code Card badge I got at a conference. It has a 2.7 inch screen.

I’ve posted my code here:

Two questions:

1. The moon_tpl sensor is not automatically rendering a value. When I set a value in Home Assistant’s Developer Tools, the moon icon displays on the screen. Also, the sensor.moon is working and returning “waxing crescent” etc.

2. The high/low temperatures on the forecast (on the right hand side) is not displaying but the days of the week and weather icons are.

Do you have any suggestions for why the moon template sensor and high/low forecast temperatures are not rendering?

Thanks for your inspiration and help!

3 Likes

Wow it looks amazing!

Do you use the home-assistant package: esphome-nodes/homeassistant-config/package-display_node.yaml at f7a3a225c417d651b4a3937708ea4d4b2d0827ed · fredrike/esphome-nodes · GitHub

Yes I do have the Home Assistant package configured. But it’s probably worth me looking at again

Also, I wanted to ask, how long does it take for your display to refresh? Mine is configured to refresh every minute and takes seven seconds to fully cycle so I’m wondering if I should refresh less often or is there a way to quickly update the clock without a full refresh.