Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

Alexa will only play Amazon approved sources. TTS (your text) is approved. Local mp3 is not. Youtube is owned by Google so don’t hold your breath.

Damn ok, I wonder if there is any way to do it through Plex or a custom Alexa plugin which could play an audio source provided by home assistant…

I am working on a way to use my Plex server (an Amazon approved source) to use it to call an mp3 stored there. I’m having issues with the media_player with Plex working consistently though.

Let me know if you ever get it working properly, can you use Plex to handle YouTube stream as I’m trying to do all house audio with Alexa and Google.

I changed the password to the amazon account and now in the home assistant I have the following error … the following components could not be setup.

• alexa media
    please check your config
    I have already changed the pssword in configuration.yaml …

Delete your file .pickle restart hass and re-link account.

where is this file?

under /config/[email protected]

grazie tante

By any chance is there a repository for this if I’m using Home Assisstant Community Store instead of custom_updater?

2 Likes

Thanks. Mine stopped working randomly. This fixed it.

:0) yes, this is because cookies expire after a while.

hello.
i have a problem.
if i follow every stepp in the guid ant then check the config its only loading and dont say aniting,
and if i try tu restart in the web interface it dose not work.+
if i pull the plug from the pi 3b+ its starting i have acess to the files but the web interface dont load,
what can i do to fix it?

@keatontaylor I am trying to expose the media_image_url but it doesn’t seem to be one of the available attributes so I’m guessing it is one of the support features? Can you help me understand how to retrieve this information.

self._media_image_url = (self._session['mainArt']['url']
                                         if (self._session['mainArt'] is not
                                             None and 'url' in
                                             self._session['mainArt'])
                                         else None)
1 Like

We really need to get this into home assistant community store please

1 Like

Apologies all for the lack of updates; I’ve been playing a new game so haven’t been coding. :wink:

Still broken? If so, would need logs to help debug for you.

Please follow the Wiki instructions exactly. We’ve added files for notify that you may be missing from your system if you had an earlier version. Also please use the forum quote features for showing your configuration.

Is there a pattern to when you get this? For example, are you providing multiple notifications within a short period of time?

Yes; full support will be in 1.3.0 which is staged.

Are you having issues with Home Assistant in general or with the alexa_media_player custom component? I can’t tell from your description but I feel like you may be in the wrong thread.

The media_image_url is only exposed when the media player is not in standby and would be the attribute entity_picture. However, you may not be able to use it because it’s relative to the alexa api and requires a valid cookie to display. I’m not sure how HA parses that data, but I’d suggest checking the front end code.

Already an issue reported, PR merged, and PR staged for 1.3.0.

Thank you for this great component. I tried integrating via HACS but it’s not adding. I believe the problem is that the folder labelled alexa_media must be preceded by custom_components.

So it should look like this:
custom_components/alexa_media

Edit: my mistake. 1.3.0 is not in release yet.

Seen this on Github, this works with current version:

https://github.com/xatr0z/alexa_media_player

true, but it’s a fork. Not the original repo.

This seems to have stopped working for me today. The notify service (using announce) is failing without errors and trying to trigger a routine using the media_player.play_media service fails with this error in the logs:

An error occured accessing AlexaAPI: An exception of type JSONDecodeError occurred. Arguments:
('Expecting value: line 8 column 1 (char 7)',)

Any ideas about what the problem may be?