Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

Posted this separately as this thread is just insane to find things in, but didn’t get a reply yet so thought I’d try. I setup this component thru HACS. During setup I filled in the included devices field by name. I assume I need to add this new one in there but no idea where to put it. Please tell me I don’t have to reinstall the component. :slight_smile:

I originally had the alexa_media component configured via configuration.yaml, but have now switched over to using the config flow to make configuration easier (less restarts) but I’ve had a couple of issues:

1. I can’t find a way to change the included/excluded devices after the initial configuration without deleting and re-adding the integration. Is this the only way this can be done.
  2. If I disable the unwanted entities in Home Assistant instead (from the Integrations or Entities pages) this still leaves the notify services for these. Do you know if these can be disabled in any other way?

That may be a bug and we’d need logs to diagnose why. Is that the only broken functionality?

Thanks. We have an issue tracking.

Is everything working? Has the .pickle file expired requiring a deletion and relogin?

It’s a cosmetic error and not high priority to fix.
No you don’t need configuration.yaml anymore.

I saw you figured it out but it’s a known issue where non Amazon devices lost Announce. You can only use TTS at this point.

Would need logs to diagnose but something didn’t load properly.

You have to delete and readd. It won’t impact any scripts/automations though as everything will be readded with existing entity_ids.

1. See answer to jriker above.
  2. Notify is weird in HA like device_tracker so I don’t believe it has the disable functionality yet.
    Probably should open a issue with HA to have them figure out how they want to handle it. While we could probably add some functionality to try to remove them if the media player entity is disabled, it seems a bit hackish to rely on components to figure it out.

Thank you for confirming!

Thanks. What I’ll be interested in is if the below shows or does anything with Media Player:

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/motorola-axh01-wireless-home-telephone-alexa-built

I purchased the four handset version and it’s tied to Amazon but technically you have to push a button down to activate Alexa and do not think each handset gets exposed to Amazon individually.

I just upgraded to 0.103.0. The following shows up in my log:
2019-12-12 12:45:07 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.alarm_control_panel] Setup of platform alexa_media is taking longer than 60 seconds. Startup will proceed without waiting any longer.

As such the alexa_guard entity is not getting created.

I don’t know if related but I also noted the following comment in the blog for version 0.103.0:

1 Like

I’m afraid it’s not related - in my case it was an abstract function added to the base class alarm_control_panel

Hi,
I posted this issue before and you reported this as harmless.
But now I have it permanentely
That’s not a normal behavior from my point of view.
Is there anything I should do?

Restarted homeassistant on 102.3 and received a new message.
alexa_media_player 2.3.5

2019-12-13 10:34:31 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform alexa_media.alarm_control_panel: Platform not found (cannot import name ‘SUPPORT_ALARM_ARM_AWAY’ from ‘homeassistant.components.alarm_control_panel’ (/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/alarm_control_panel/init.py)).
2019-12-13 10:34:31 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player] Setting up media_player.alexa_media

v2.3.5 solved the alexa_guard problem I was having earlier
Thanks!! :slight_smile:

Not the same but I’m getting:

2019-12-13 13:16:09 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.alarm_control_panel] Setup of platform alexa_media is taking longer than 60 seconds. Startup will proceed without waiting any longer.

I’ve always seem complaints in my system about it taking more than 10 seconds like this:

2019-12-13 13:15:19 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.alarm_control_panel] Setup of platform alexa_media is taking over 10 seconds.

but this is new.

Sorry, stay on 2.3.4 if not on HA 103. I thought the minimum HA version check would stop HACS from offering it more broadly.

Think my 60 second giving up thing or whatever is gone now. Noticed there was an update from 2.3.4 to 2.3.5. So far not showing after reboot.

Hello All,

After update to v2.3.5 I get this error when restart HA:

Unable to prepare setup for platform alexa_media.alarm_control_panel: Platform not found (cannot import name 'SUPPORT_ALARM_ARM_AWAY' from 'homeassistant.components.alarm_control_panel' (/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/alarm_control_panel/__init__.py)).

Read two posts above.

I’m still on 0.102.3 not 0.103.0

Then don’t use 2.3.5.

will update HA this weekend :slight_smile:

I’d like to confirm that I got all the new switches and sensors by switching to exclude_devices (from include_devices).

I than had a lot of unnecessary new entities, which I disabled directly in the core.entity_registry file (in the .storage folder). Be careful with this, because messing this file up, will brake your ha instance.
So entities that I want to be disabled got:

"disabled_by": "integration",

instead of

"disabled_by": null,

Restart ha after that.

There’s a UI under the Integrations section to disable entities. You don’t have to do it manually.