Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

It is not possible to play mp3 files or other formats with echo devices. You could use the music unlimited service via custom commands

Yes, it is possible to play mp3.

as “service: notify.alexa_media”

service: notify.alexa_media
data:
  message: <audio src='https://kt-montage.com/files/smarthomeyourself/mp3/001.mp3'/>
  data:
    type: tts
  target: media_player.nathalies_echo_dot

this works!

but unfortunately somehow ONLY from my server.
now i’ve tried to upload the whole thing to amazons3, for example, but then i get the error again: simon says eu skill…

edit:
I uploaded the same file to amazon s3, for example.
but is not played.
I can not understand that unfortunately

message: <audio src='https://ktamazons3.s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/smarthomeyourself/001.mp3'/>

after a long time, i have started using alexa media player custom component.
i have logged-in to alexa account with 2fa with integration,
all my devices show in the list, but none of them are unavailable,
am i missing something?

1 Like

i am in India, and i have succesfully loddeg to my amazon account.
but i cant connect to devices attached to my amazon account.

edit,

i got it by changing amazon.com to amazon.in

my echo dot devices are avaialable now,
but my firestick tv still shows standby and nothing work.
can someone please guide.
thanks

I’m not having luck on my dedicated thread, so i thought i’d give this one a shot.
I’m trying to figure out how i can make an automation that triggers when a new timer is added or removed from the alexa timer sensor. One timer isn’t an issue (there’s also an example here on the github), the issue is when multiple timers are added in one go (low likelihood), or remove (very likely, especially when asking alexa to cancel all timers). I need to recognize which timer IDs were added/removed.

Can anyone lend a hand please?

Hi, after update to 2022.4.6 the states of my devices are not shown. I did not see set reminders or timers and after starting music, the media player entities are not reported as playing. Commands from HA to the devices and vice versa working as usual. TTS as well.
What’s wrong?

1 Like

Would it be possible to add device_class for temperature sensors reported from Alexa Devices?

I’ve just upgraded to Dwains Dashboard v3 and it requires the device_class: temperature to be set for it to show on the room tile.

Can we get any data at all from devices added to alexa directly?? I was under the impression that amazon did not allow this, so I moved all my devices to HA. Just curious as too my options.

You usually can set/override an entity’s device class using YAML homeassistant: customize:

Same here!

Hi,

1. Is there a way to know when a echo device has completed a TTS message using homeassistant?

2. Amazon plugs are not getting integrated. How to integrate Amazon plugs?

3. Songs from AMAZON_MUSIC is not playing if linked to an Indian account. Is there a way to play songs from AMAZON_MUSIC while staying with Indian account?

Kindly help

1. no, not as far as i know. but if you use announcement the next command is done after the announcement.
  2. amazon plugs are normally zigbee or wifi, so automate/intergrate them in another way not through amazon.
  3. i got not clue what an indian account is. i think you can only play amazon music on amazon devices, devices connected to amazon devices or devices that have an amazon app.
  1. I tried… the next action is executed while alexa is still announcing… any way to check is previous action/command has finished.

2. Any guidance or tutorial on how to do this?

3. If I switch to Amazon US. I can send command to play music thru HA on my echo devices, and the music selection is done from amazon_music. But if I change the location to india fromm amazon account. Then I am not able to send commands to play music from HA

1. no, because amazon doesnt send a message when the announcement is finished. if you send 2 announcements they will come after each other, but if you send an announcement and want a light to turn on AFTER that, then there is no way. youll need to calculate the time yourself.

2. depends on what type of plugs you got. if they are zigbee then youll need another zigbee hub or zigbee coordinator and then use zigbee2mqtt or zha. if they are wifi youll need to check the integration for that brand in HA.

3. you will need to connect both amazon accounts with HA, to be able to send commands to both accounts. personally i think its best just to use only 1 account with amazon if you want to automate.

1. Yes… using a delay in between.

2. This is the plug. The plug is from Amazon only. (Amazon Smart Plug, for home automation, Works with Alexa- A Certified for Humans Device https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089DR29T6/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_RM906EDNTPN0N4BWPCXF)

Any idea how to add this to HA.

1. Got it…

Thanks a lot for the clarifications.

The made for Alexa plugs can’t really be integrated directly into Home Assistant:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for links… really appreciate it.

i didnt even know that existed. but thats wifi and you are depending on the control from the brand, so in this case amazon, who doesnt release its api yet.

i would integrate it the same way as in the second link digeridew gave you.

Yes… really thanks a lot for your support