ECOWITT Weatherstation integration for Home Assistant

Hi,
I have a GW1100 and have integrated it into HomeAssistant. Everything works fine.
However, I would also like to have the Ecowitt data in a program on the computer (PC weather station / wswin), as I have my history of the last years there.
In the weather station, however, I can only specify an export destination.
Is there a possibility to automatically export the data from HomeAssistant to a Synology. It would be also ok if I would make a manual exort every month or so.
Can someone help?
Thanks in advance.
Christian

I got the Wittflow and unfortunately it is not exposed (via the gateway) to homeassistant (using the ecowitt protocol). Of course I can use the wittflow via the ecowitt app, but that is not what I wanted. Anybody has a solution for this? Thanks!

Hello. In my country we start yearly rain measure from the first day of september. Is there any way to configure my ecowitt unit in home assistant to show yearly rain from this date?

I just got the gw1100 configured and it seems to send messages with all the data but from some reason I do not see entities :frowning:
Did you configured anything else but the ecowitt app to port 4199 and the integration on ha?
When listening (nc - l 4199) i do see data i just don’t see it creating the entities and updates.

Did you create a Customized DYI Upload server in the Ecowitt app for your bridge?

I also just got the Wittflow Ecowitt WFC01 smart tap timer and have it connected to my GW2000 Gateway. The Gateway data for the integrated temperature/humidity sensor appears correctly in Home Assistant via the native Ecowitt app. However nothing shows in HA for the Wittflow device. Will this device Support be added to the native Ecowitt app in the future?

1 Like

Sorry to ask for more info, but do you mean you can see temperature/humidity (if that is already accurate), but you cannot control the device (water on/off)? A bit of a bummer that this is (still) not possible and the main reason I still haven’t bought this device.

Just to clarify, I can only see the temperature & humidity readings from the sensor that is physically attached to the GW2000 Gateway. The Wittflow device does not show up at all in Home Assistant. Hence none of the associated Wittflow entities (valve on/off, water temperature, flow rate, daily litres, monthly litres, run time, battery level, etc ) show up either. So I can’t access the entities for automations or to turn the water on/off.

I have two other Ecowitt gateways (both GW1100) successfully integrated with Home Assistant via the inbuilt app and all the connected devices (rain gauge, wind speed, indoor & outdoor temp/humidity, solar, soil moisture, soil temperature) and associated entities come through. I’m sure if I connected any of my existing devices to the GW2000 Gateway they would also come through OK but the only device I have currently connected to the GW2000 Gateway is the Wittflow smart tap timer. I had wrongly assumed that it would be supported and that I would be able to control it via Home Assistant.

I was also looking at LinkTap smart tap timers also but ended up going with Wittflow as I was already in the Ecowitt ecosystem. I believe LinkTap can be successful integrated and controlled from Home Assistant. I’m still within the Amazon return window so may revisit my product selection decision before it’s too late to change.

I understand what you’re challenges are.
I’ve already posted something about this before
(ECOWITT Weatherstation integration for Home Assistant - #310 by Intro_Verti) , and was hoping it would evolve, but nothing yet.

Indeed, the GW1000pro and GW1100A are working just fine, all my Ecowitt stuff is in HA via those gateways.

I still hope for better news, as it would be great to stay on 1 ecosystem for these kind of sensors.

I have contacted Ecowitt Support to ask them whether they intend to support WFC01 integration with Home Assistant. I will update this thread with their response once received.

Curious what they will tell you. Like mentioned before, they told me not to.

(ECOWITT Weatherstation integration for Home Assistant - #310 by Intro_Verti)

Hopefully they have more requests and re-consider.

Here is the response from Ecowitt support concerning WittFlow integration with Home Assistant….

Hi, Steve

We have a meeting for your points made. We come up with this initial conclusion:

1. We will make a plug in for home assistant that can be used to control our IoT devices. The plug in will be a complete new one as the data obtaining will be different from current “ecowitt” plug in. So we should have this device supported for home assistant. The time line will be about 2months time.
2. We will also make cross hub integration for the smart option to be possible. This will be bridged via the server, so that user can have hubs in remote locations to trigger the control of his other devices under his account or even possible if like other public events can be triggered as well. This needs a lot more work to be done on the server integration side. So this might take us 3 ~4 months time.

So seems more encouraging that the response you received. I will also follow up with the owner of the existing Home Assistant core Ecowitt built-in integration (plug in?)

2 Likes

Sounds promising!
I assume they have received many, many requests.
But you’re right, they can build whatever they want (and it is needed!), but the real appreciation will be there, if the owner of the existing HA core Ecowitt build is willing to work on this too.

Thanks for the update!

:ok_hand:

2 Likes

I recently got the " [2023 Newest Upgraded] ECOWITT Wittboy Weather Station GW2001, with Wittboy Wi-Fi Hub and 7-in-1 Outdoor Solar Powered Weather Sensor, Supports WU/WeatherCloud/Wow/Ecowitt Servers, 915 MHz" from Amazon. However, no entities are being shown in HA. I’m not sure if the is due to the issues others are having with 2023.12.x, or my configuration?

I have Nabu Casa remote access setup, and when the Ecowitt integration pops up with the configuration information the URL is Nabu Casa, not my local IP address. It also shows port 443.

Question #1: What’s the proper LOCAL configuration information I should use? HA IP and port 8123?

Question #2: Does HA 2023.12.x have widespread issues with the Ecowitt integration? Github has a number of broken users. I can’t tell if my ‘no entity’ issue is due to the apparently broken Ecowitt integration, or my URL/token information.

I also use HTTPS (trusted certificate) with my local HA instance. I’m unclear from the Ecowiit HA page if that works or not? It mentions NGINX proxy, but the details are so vague it’s useless. I found an Ecowitt proxy add on (to help address HTTPS issues), but that Github repo fails to add to HAOS 2023.12.

I’m having the same issue as DuckDuck25:

• my HA instance has local https
  • I have HA cloud
  • the ecowitt integration suggests a nabu casa URL/api endpoint for the weather API (and I would prefer local)
  • no entities are created/found

Are you using the Ecowitt app already @DuckDuck25 / @ano ?
If so, did you add your HA instance in the app, to connect your Gateway with HA under DIY Upload Servers ?

Back then, I followed a tutorial of mostlychris, maybe it can help you too. It is a bit old now, but it could be helpfull:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNe5DxvOAoM&t=17s

I wrote this post on how to get it working with HTTPS:

3 Likes

Ah – I’m using home assistant core so that’s going to be a little more complicated for me, but thanks for the pointers!

In case this helps anyone, I was (apparently) able to get this integration working with HA Core, and HA Cloud enabled. Steps:

1. Remove any existing nonfunctional Ecowitt configurations
  2. Log out of HA Cloud in the HA backend
  3. Add the Ecowitt integration: this will now (apparently) generate a local webhook with a local IP address. Save the api details (the /api/webhook/string-of-characters part). Note: I’m not 100% certain that this webhook wouldn’t also exist locally if you leave HA Cloud connected, but this is what I did.
  4. In the Ecowitt backend, update the custom weather service details to use your local IP or machine name. In the api field, pick something sensible — I went with /ecowitt/weather/, including the first / as I was using the web interface rather than the app. For the port, choose a high port that you know isn’t in use (one way to check is to run ‘sudo netstat -tulpn | grep LISTEN’ from the command line on your HA server). I picked a random number in the 6xxx range.
  5. Install and configure NGINX manually.

To install and configure NGINX (NB: I’m not an expert, this may not be the ‘best’ way, but it’s a summary of what I did minus lots of false starts and cockups):

1. Install NGINX using apt
  2. Find the NGINX config files (/etc/nginx on my distro).
  3. Edit the config files (use nano, or a preferred text editor). The block you will need to add looks a bit like:
server {
                listen PORT NUMBER;
                location /ecowitt/weather/ {
                        proxy_pass https://YOUR-HA-IP-OR-NAME:8123/api/webhook/THE-WEBHOOK-GUID;
                }
        }

NGINX has a ‘sites-enabled’ subfolder in the config folder (so /etc/nginx/sites-enabled, on my instance) with a default configuration in it that already has a server defined, on port 80 – this might conflict with existing services running on your HA machine so you should probably comment this default configuration out and then add in the code above, putting in the port number you selected when configuring the Ecowitt backend, your HA instance IP/name and the webhook string in the appropriate spots.

I didn’t realise this and so added my new server section to the main config, then spent 20 mins trying to figure out why NGINX wouldn’t start — I run pihole on my HA server and its admin page webserver defaults to port 80, which I hadn’t changed.

With luck, and if you did it right, you should shortly see a device and entities appear in the ecowitt integration in the HA backend. You can now log back into HA cloud and it should continue working (it has done so far for me).

YES!! You legend thank you so much! I’ve been bashing my head against the wall for days trying to get Ecowitt working again after i enabled https

This worked a treat. :smiley: The only downside is it only accommodates 1 weather station and i have 2, one for outside and one for a greenhouse with chilli peppers that has soil moisture sensors, it’s own temp/humidity sensors etc.

I dont know if 2 stations is possible via YAML (maybe under a different port) as i’m only new to HA, but hey 1 station is far better than none. Thanks mate i really appreciate it. :slight_smile: