ECOWITT Weatherstation integration for Home Assistant

OK, took me a bit to figure out how to test everything and here’s what I’ve come up with:

Verified with netstat that 4199 is open and listening:

Used MS Network Monitor to determine that the WS1100 is sending packets to port 4199. Set it up on my machine and pointed the 1100 to the IP of my machine and voila, traffic.

I ran netcat (nc -p 4199 -l) over on the pi to see if anything is getting through and nothing shows on the screen after I put the command in. Not sure if I’m using it right. I do have to delete the integration in HomeAssistant to do that, otherwise I get an error that the address is in use (which my research tells me should be perfectly normal). So, it seems that somehow the traffic is not getting through to the Pi and HomeAssistant.

Other things that I’ve tried: I’ve used the PowerShell tnc command to try to connect to that port while it’s open and listening. tnc IPADDRESS resolves. tnc IPADDRESS -port 4199 fails. ping succeeds but TcpTestSucceeded shows False. I also opened an elevated command prompt and tried “telnet ipaddress 4199” and for the following error: “Could not open connection to the host, on port 4199: Connect failed”

I can ping the ip of the WS1100 and the Pi

Yes, the WS1100 and the Pi are on the same VLAN. That wasn’t always the case but it is something that I corrected earlier in the game.

All of my other integrations are working (Plex, Tuya Switches, Vizio SmartTV). The Pi is also the primary DNS resolver for my entire network, so I know that other devices in the network can talk to it. One thing that I have noticed is that this instance of HomeAssistant doesn’t “find” stuff on my network like the first test version that I ran. I initially started out with an instance in a Linux VM on my main PC just to see if it was something I was interested in before I loaded it to the Pi.

EDIT: Thanks for all the help so far.

Make sure that the container can receive messages through that port. Configure Docker correctly.

@Gilean how do you access the data? can you query it locally or do you need to query some sort of cloud API?

The whole topic is about the Ecowitt integration (custom component). Froggit is an FineOffset clones the same as Ecowitt is. They all use the Ecowitt protocol to publish data locally. You need to configure the weather station unit with the WSView app to publish the data to your HA’s local address, where the integration receives and interprets it.

what can we do to get this merged?

@garbled1 was planning to bring the Ecowitt integration to Home Assistant as an official integration, but I don’t know how far has he gone with that.

Obviously for a while no PRs have been merged to the integration, but better to try to ask @garbled1, is he planning to update it at some point.

1 Like

Just add Ecowitt integration and follow the instructions. After that, you get all the data as sensor entities in Home Assistant. It’s been ages since I did this but I remember it was surprisingly easy, I thought it would have been harder to set it up and working.

Core 2022.9 release has an official Ecowitt integration.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information! I didn’t know that.

I see that it is pvizeli’s work and uses a new library and ends up a completely new integration.

Hopefully it will not mess up the entity names and the current data can be migrated without any issues.

@Doerakker, once 2022.9 is released then give it a try.

1 Like

I tried the official integration but didn’t work for me (sensor were not appearing and got a webhook error in the log). It may be because I’m running it in docker, but the unofficial one works well at the moment and it’s too important in my setup to do many experiments.
To be clear I completely uninstalled the unofficial before trying (removed both the integration and the HACS install, restarting the system at every step, then installed the official one, restarted again but it didn’t work.

any way to migrate form hacs integration to official without affecting the entities?
It would have been good if it was migrated automatically, as has happened with others…

Not that I could figure out. But it took me a couple of minutes to rename the entities to match the old ones.
I needed to delete HACS integration, delete the old integration, RESTART Core, then add the new official integration before all worked OK.

2 Likes

It works very well for me as it is right now, I think I will continue with the HACS integration if the official integration does not improve me…

Has the official Support for all Kind of sensors?
Piezo Rain? Leak? Soil? …?
Anyone knows?

I will get on it right now !

And Ecowitt support team from Ecowitt is reaching out for collaboration !

Uninstall the HACS, installed / configured the weather station and off we go!!!

Yes. I have all sorts of devices connected to my GW1000. All worked after moving from HACS.

Has anyone tested the official release with the GW2000 hub?

yes working fine for me here