Edit yaml through lovelace?

Hey,
We all edit configuration, automation, group directly in the yaml files. Can we somehow edit the files through the frontend?
My family like HA but when my wife ask how she can edit the timer for the blinds and that she want to edit the timer directly in card I don’t have an answer. No answer to your wife is not a good thing so I told her I would investigate. Please, is there a way to edit automations, build automations through a card in lovelace? Help me save HA from my wife😳

If you’re running a Hassio installation, you can use the HASS Configurator add-on or manually install it on a different Home Assistant setup.

2 Likes

I do have HASSIO and the configuration add-on… this is not a save way to let my wife edit the blinds timer… there have to be a more commercial way to edit the configuration in HA. Cards addons that writes json,scripts and configurations without typing codes. Select entity, what to do (group, set timer, if this happens do this, save

Oh I see what you mean, sorry. Here’s a possible solution. You can then use the input_datetime entity in your automations.

This could be 1 way. But how to make this user friendly in card. Let’s say I have 1 picture-element card to set times in our bedroom. There could be a dropdown list of entities for the bedroom and we select the entity to set a week timer (all days with 2 daily start/stop moments ie morning evening)below the list. Push button “activate” (this edit the automation.yaml) and display the setup below the activation button.
Is this possible with programming or maybe it is being implemented?

Unfortunately that’s way over my head, so I wouldn’t be able to help you with that. Sorry. I’m not sure there’s a way to directly edit an automation (or any other file) through a Lovelace card. I only know you can use something like input_datetime and reference the resulting entity in the automation to make it dynamic.
On second thought, you could probably use an entity button card to call a script that contains the week timer you’re referencing.

Well it’s over my head aswell:) Is there a possible way I know this community could help out. This would help users (wife husband kids etc) other than the “reprogramming” user in the household.
It’s an open source community but why not more user friendly in the userface? Believe me I love HA and the whole community. It’s amazing to see all the programming, addons, knowledge and ideas. But… userfriendly it’s not

I made a stealth edit at the bottom of my last comment, did you happen to see it? Might fit your use case.

Your wife is dependent on you to edit the timer. This is good, as it is a reason not to throw you out.

Be grateful.

Maybe this would help? https://community.home-assistant.io/t/community-hass-io-add-on-visual-studio-code/107863

1 Like

Not a waterproof plan😉

This could be the closest I even came! Will check it out! Thank you all. More inputs in the matter?

You can edit automations and scripts in the ui, I’m not sure where your delay is actually stored at present.

But I think an input select of some sort would do it very well if you are just changing a timer.

So basically you want to control automations better through the UI?

This seems like the most sensible solution. I use an input_number to set the duration of my timers.

COMPLETELY OFF-TOPIC
You seriously made coffee came out of my nose. I’m gonna make my automation the same way, so i dont get kicked out of my own house :rofl::rofl:

Thats true. My better half is refusing to code anything. Would be nice if the ui would be more like FIBARO Smart Home. Maybe that’s the long plan for HA.

1 Like

Tried this. Wife said I will be thrown out together with all my automation crap.

3 Likes

My wife-capable solution is to set timers by a calendar (like Google or better a local webdav calendar) - It’s like:

- alias: 'bathroom_climate_enable'
  trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id: calendar.homeassistant_bathroom_climate
      to: 'on'

Then just let her manage the timers easily by Google or Outlook.

1 Like

Get to it and make the user interface how you want it then. Like you suggested, it’s open source, so you can change it to make it look however you want.

HA doesn’t need to be more like anything.

If you want that look, however, you make it yourself with custom components, scripts and lovelace config.

Do some research on the forums and find other peoples config that you like and apply it to your situation. There are dozens of examples on the forums of highly customized frontends.