ELK M1 Interface

Thanks, bdraco! I will look forward to seeing the fix in an upcoming HA release. When do you think it will appear?

With regard to your question, I checked my Elk installation using ElkRP2 and it looks like the secure port is enabled by default, with no way to stop it from being enabled. On the other hand, you have to click a check box to enable the non-secure port (2101).

On my end, when I use the config code I provided above the Elk is no longer auto-discovered. I then add the Elk integration manually, and choose to configure it via manual entry. I then type in the ip address and port (x.x.x.x:2101), leave the username and password blank and choose not-secure.

Logviewer then shows the following

2022-03-27 17:26:22 ERROR (MainThread) [elkm1_lib.discovery] ELKDiscovery error: [Errno -2] Name does not resolve
2022-03-27 17:26:25 ERROR (MainThread) [elkm1_lib.discovery] ELKDiscovery error: [Errno -2] Name does not resolve
2022-03-27 17:26:29 ERROR (MainThread) [elkm1_lib.discovery] ELKDiscovery error: [Errno -2] Name does not resolve

2022-03-27 17:26:52 WARNING (MainThread) [elkm1_lib.elk] ElkM1 at elk://x.x.x.x:2101 disconnected
022-03-27 17:21:22 WARNING (MainThread) [elkm1_lib.elk] ElkM1 at elk://x.x.x.x:2101 disconnected

2022.4. We might do a 2022.3.8 but its unlikely at this point

Sounds great, thank you!

Dave

The change is in 2022.3.8

Hi, bdraco. Thanks again for your work on this! Unfortunately the issue appears to still be present.

When I comment out the config code I provided, the Elk is discovered. When I try to configure the Elk I do now get a box that allows me to select that I am using a non-secure port. However, when I make this “non-secure” selection (and also leave username and password blank) I receive the message “Failed to connect.” Logviewer then shows the following:

2022-03-31 00:39:47 WARNING (MainThread) [elkm1_lib.elk] ElkM1 at elk://x.x.x.x disconnected

I tried putting the config code back in and results are absolutely identical to what I have shared above (i.e., Elk is discovered, a box shows that allows me to choose “non-secure” port, but it fails with the exact message indicated above).

Dave

Would you please open a github issue and provide debug logs

logger:
  default: info
  logs:
    elkm1_lib: debug
    homeassistant.components.elkm1: debug

Thanks, just entered an issue in github.

Dave

Hey folks…

It’s great to see there’s activity on this integration. With the help of Home Assistant, I’m finally getting around to cleaning my 12+ year old automations The ElkM1G is a big part of it all.

I just submitted a couple of issues to github in the hopes they’ll get some attention.

ElkM1’s climate.set_temperature ignores options

ElkM1’s HVAC_MODE confuses AUTO with HEAT_COOL

I’m happy to discuss either.

Thanks much for the integration.

For anyone who may be monitoring the issue I submitted, I believe it has made its way here, and if I am reading this correctly, a fix is headed for implementation with the next version of Home Assistant (2022.4.1). Thanks again go to bdraco for all his work on this!

Dave

Thanks, bdraco! Latest release of Home Assistant fixes the issue.

How do I send you a couple cups of coffee? I didn’t see anything in Github that would let me do this (but I am definitely not a github pro).

Dave

No need, your thanks and appreciation is all that is needed. (its pretty rare to see it expressed in this space).

Hi, bdraco.

Since I can’t buy you a coffee, let me keep going with the thanks! I think it is pretty amazing that you and other Home Assistant volunteers like you are willing to devote yourself to improving HA, for those of us who are unable to do so and don’t have your programming skills. For my part, I can express that I totally and completely appreciate your work, particularly as it relates to a tool (Elk) that helps keep me and family safe.

Thank you!!!

Dave

3 Likes

I’m using the serial interface on my Elk M1 and may be getting a similar error to what was reported by others; i.e. disconnected

Logger: elkm1_lib.elk
Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/elkm1_lib/elk.py:123
First occurred: 1:53:59 AM (6 occurrences)
Last logged: 1:55:23 AM

ElkM1 at serial:///dev/ttyS0:115200 disconnected

I can confirm this integration works fine with HA OS 6.2, core-2021.9.5 and supervisor-2022.04.0. Is there any current workaround?

Try the 2022.4.1 release. That’s when the fix was released.

See ELK M1 Interface - #986 by DaveW42

I’m on 2022.4.4 but is there a way to downgrade to 2022.4.1 so we’re sure that nothing was introduced in the latest release?

Open a bug. Include debug logs as described here ELK M1 Interface - #983 by bdraco

We might need to backport Move handling of non-secure login to the elkm1 library by bdraco · Pull Request #69483 · home-assistant/core · GitHub as well (it will be in 2022.5 either way)

@tfmeier Please open a Sign in to GitHub · GitHub with the logs as Glenn suggests so we can tell for sure how to solve the issue you are seeing with the serial connection.

Yes, guys. Just opened that issue on GitHub. This is the first issue I opened for Home Assistant so hopefully I’ve done it correctly. Thanks for your help on this!

1 Like

I’ll look at the logs later this morning.

1 Like

I have commented on the GitHub issue. Unfortunately the latest core update 2022.4.6 didn’t resolve the issue for me…