<modelName>Philips hue bridge 2015</modelName>
		<modelNumber>BSB002</modelNumber>
		<modelURL>http://www.meethue.com</modelURL>
		<serialNumber>1234</serialNumber>
		<UDN>uuid:2f402f80-da50-11e1-9b23-001788255acc</UDN>
	</device>
</root>

As does /api/pi/lights:

{"1": {"modelid": "HASS123", "name": "Wake on LAN", "state": {"bri": 0, "on": false, "reachable": true}, "swversion": "123", "type": "Dimmable light", "uniqueid": "switch.wake_on_lan"}}

But, Alexa still claims no devices. Puzzling.

having the exact same issue here with Alexa not finding my devices.

Even if we had to install the Phillips Hue app, it requires an actual hue hub to activate it seems.
I’ve tried every possible solution i’ve found online with no avail.

I’ve started making a custom Alexa skill to create a native skill, which is quite daunting

You’ve not spotted all the chatter about the official HA Smart Skill that’s coming very soon?

I haven’t, is this confirmed? have you got a link?

It already exists but not released to us mere mortals yet…

Looks promising. Hopefully not too long till it’s available in the UK.

I’ve discussed this in a few topics about emulated_hue already but i’ll repeat here as well. Amazon Alexa Team confirmed to me in an email that the echo shows do not support hue devices without the bridge and i’m guessin that is going to be the case going forward with any devices echo show and newer. I’ve found that if i add an echo dot to my amazon account the show has no problem controlling the emulated hue devices but on its own cannot. Not sure what device OP has but that might be the problem for them as well. I think emulated_hue might be reaching its end of life as a usable component sooner rather than later. The cloud connect/official skill needs to come out soon.

Myself i’ve setup haaska which is a great option but obviously isn’t the easiest route to go. if i had to wager i’d say that the 2nd gen echo, echo spot and such won’t support without an older devices also on the account.

1 Like

You’re overlooking the fact that emulated_hue isn’t just used with Amazon Echos when you say it’s near end of life as a component.

what other uses does it have? doesn’t work on google anymore if i’m not mistaken?

I use it with my Harmony Hub and would still need it for that even when the Alexa Smart Skill is released into the wild.

I’m sure there are other things too.

I seem to be having the same issue. Here’s what I’ve found.

I have multiple Alexa dots and tablets. tcpdump does not show Amazon accessing port 8300 during discovery. That leads me to believe that the issue is with my Alexa devices and not the emulated HUE. If I knew more how Alexa to HUE discovery works on a network level, I could be sure.

My firewall allows 8300/tcp and 8123/tcp.

emulated_hue:
expose_by_default: true
host_ip: 10.111.111.6
listen_port: 8300

[root@hass hass]# curl http://10.111.111.6:8300/api/pi/lights
{"1": {"modelid": "HASS123", "name": "Christmas Lights", "state": {"bri": 0, "on": false, "reachable": true}, "swversion": "123", "type": "Dimmable light", "uniqueid": "switch.ge_unknown_type5052_id3038_switch"}, "2": {"modelid": "HASS123", "name": "all automations", "state": {"bri": 255, "on": true, "reachable": true}, "swversion": "123", "type": "Dimmable light", "uniqueid": "group.all_automations"}, "3": {"modelid": "HASS123", "name": "all switches", "state": {"bri": 0, "on": false, "reachable": true}, "swversion": "123", "type": "Dimmable light", "uniqueid": "group.all_switches"}}

I might have missed this in the setup instructions…

So Alexa uses UPNP to find the HUE device. I had to allow UPNP through my firewall.

for firewalld I created /etc/firewalld/services/upnp.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<service>
<short>UPNP</short>
<description></description>
<port protocol="udp" port="1900"/>
<destination ipv4="239.255.255.250"/>
</service>

Then reload firewalld:
systemctl restart firewalld
firewall-cmd --add-service=upnp
firewall-cmd --add-service=upnp --permanent

You can remove everything bar emulated_hue: from your config as two are defaults and the IP will be auto set at start up if not defined. Don’t know if removing them will help but simple enough to try.

Thanks for confirming you have Dots as that rules out it being down to new gen kit in your case.

Interesting IP.

ah see i guess i didn’t realize there was a use with harmony hub. So i retract my statement about it being pointless much longer, and should have said going forward for alexa and google home it’ll be pointless LOL.

1 Like

unless amazon implements something to make a distinction between an emulated device and an original device, it will stay functioning, because they now even have devices with hue integrated.

Amazon Alexa Team confirmed to me in an email that the echo shows do not support hue devices without the bridge

except the new device with the bridge included, none of the alexa devices can work with hue devices without a bridge.
correct me if i am wrong, but emulated hue is the (emulated) bridge. and it presents itselve identical to any existing bridge.

so as long as they dont bring a new type bridge and exclude all old style bridges there should be no problem.

I’ll buy that :wink:

Yep, that’s what confused me to start with in a different thread but I think the gist of it is there are already 2 types and whilst older designs like the v1 and v2 Dots support both, the newer devices like the Show doesn’t and @moose517 has been told by Amazon that that is their policy going forward.

Is exactly this possibly what Google did where in effect it only supports ‘Hue’ devices that have been registered with Philips and hence why it was going to the website when trying to discover them.

Still believe there is another issue though, either to do with the users network or some conflict with a not directly related HA component, that is stopping emulated_hue working with older Echos too. Unfortunately, theories and semi-educated guesses are about as technical as my knowledge gets.

thats plausible, but that doesnt make emulated hue useless, its only useless if you ONLY have new devices that dont support the old hue. and at this moment that is then only the show (and maybe the echo with integrated hue)

Is exactly this possibly what Google did where in effect it only supports ‘Hue’ devices that have been registered with Philips and hence why it was going to the website when trying to discover them.

this is more what i am afraid for. as soon as amazon does something like that emulated hue is gone for amazon devices.

Still believe there is another issue though, either to do with the users network or some conflict with a not directly related HA component, that is stopping emulated_hue working with older Echos too

there are quite a few things that need to be set right, like encrypting etc. so if it isnt working for someone there could be several issues. network settings, ha settings, encryption settings, etc.
lots off people dont know they need to make sure that there are not to many entities exposed for example.

Exactly what i was saying :slight_smile:

1 Like