Emulated hue configuration step

So I went through the whole process of setting up haaska, with a successful test at the end of the guide. Alexa still can’t find any devices :stuck_out_tongue:

2019-06-27%2019_27_56-

The thing is, I am running a lot of services on this network and I have never had any problems whatsoever. I don’t know what’s so special about the alexa setup.

Anyway, I’m giving up, at least for now.

For what it’s worth, I running most of that stuff too but also running emulated hue. We have a similar router. At this point its a big shrug from me. :man_shrugging:

In that other thread petro mentioned NOT explicitly searching for hue and I’ve also seen others mention using voice control on the specific echo that is gen 1 or gen 2 (I believe I did the former however I was so excited to get it working again that I promptly forgot what did the trick :expressionless: ). Anyway here’s the discovery procedure from the other thread:

1. Select devices
  2. Select all devices
  3. Select the plus in the upper left corner
  4. Select add device
    DO NOT SELECT HUE.
  5. Scroll to Other, select other.
  6. Select discover devices.

if you have a spare wireless router with basic settings you could try eliminating your router as the culprit…

They change so frequently with the alexa app its hard to keep track of the do’s and don’ts.

And tonight it got hosed again but just mostly. I can do “Alexa, turn off/on all the lights and it works.” 3 of my 10 lights work and there appears to be no rhyme or reason for why some work and not others. My WAF is like the Hindenburg. Resetting the echo did the trick again and lost all the reminders on that device :-1: again

emulated_hue:
 host_ip: 192.168.1.35
 off_maps_to_on_domains:
 - script
 - scene
 expose_by_default: false
 exposed_domains:
 - script
 entities:
  script.boomeranghd:
   name: "BOOMERANG HD"
   hidden: false

Are you getting any errors relating to emulated_hue when starting HA? If this is exactly how you have your config in the yaml file, then your spacing is wrong. You need two spaces like;

emulated_hue:
  off_maps_to_on_domains:
    - script
    - scene

Eh, that shouldn’t matter because the -'s represent a list. The indentation after the - is considered an indentation in this regard. People just like the look of the double space better.

Couldn’t be more basic. No errors in the log
2019-06-27 22:52:45 INFO (SyncWorker_16) [homeassistant.loader] Loaded hue from homeassistant.components.hue

emulated_hue:
listen_port: 8300
host_ip: 192.168.1.18
expose_by_default: true

I tried doing expose_by_default: false but 1: there are only 9 devices listed in api/pi/lights

The - might not matter, but the 1 space indentation of host_ip: and everything else below that probably does.

Unless something has changed, 2 spaces are required.

yaml has never required 2 spaces. Yaml is indent driven. As long as there is an indent and everything is on the correct indent level, it doesn’t matter. It just doesn’t look pretty.

This:

emulated_hue:
 off_maps_to_on_domains:
 - script
 - scene
 exposed_domains:
 - script
 entities:
  script.boomeranghd:

is identical to this

emulated_hue:
  off_maps_to_on_domains:
    - script
    - scene
  exposed_domains:
    - script
  entities:
    script.boomeranghd:

and both are valid.

One just is more readable than the other.

Copy and paste both into the yaml checker, you’ll notice that they are both valid

http://www.yamllint.com/

1 Like

Well, there you go. I’ve learned something today!

I guess I am so used to seeing every bit of YAML in the HA docs with 2 spaces and seeing others being told YAML is indent sensitive, I assumed 2 spaces were required.

Just an FYI for everyone who contributed to this discussion. Today I reset my edgerouter x to it’s factory defaults and everything worked just fine. No idea how or why.

I did not enable UPNP on edgerouter x, nor did I put alexa: in my configuration.yaml. I didn’t even tell alexa to scan for specifically gen1 of the hue bridge. I just clicked the Discover button in alexa. Basically, this is the whole thing.

configuration.yaml
emulated_hue: !include emulated_hue.yaml

emulated_hue.yaml

listen_port: 8300
off_maps_to_on_domains:
 - script
 - scene
exposed_domains:
 - light
 - script
entities:
 script.boomeranghd:
  name: "Boomerang"
 script.disneyjunior:
  name: "Disney Junior"
 light.kitchen_light_1:
  name: "Kitchen Light 1"
 light.kitchen_light_2:
  name: "Kitchen Light 2"
 light.kitchen_light_3:
  name: "Kitchen Light 3"

I haven’t created any routines yet, cause the kids are watching TV right now, but since alexa can see the entities in Home Assistant, I can only assume it will work.

Thanks everyone for your help, greatly appreciated!

damn, it’s still a mystery. I keep seeing threads like this every few months and some people just give up. I’d really like to know what keeps alexa from discovering!

Been working for a couple days now (I’m sure I just jinxed myself). If anyone has any ideas about tests to perform next time it fails I’m all ears. The partial working state it was in last time was really interesting. I wish there was some way to look at the details of each connection that Alexa maintains to the devices. It’s almost as if it discovered 2 hubs and most of the lights were associated with the hub that it couldn’t reach anymore.

Just got hosed again. I tread a little lighter this time and to avoid having to rebuild all my alexa routines. Nothing was working and I read through this about half the devices not working which seemed like 2 hubs were registered. That was not the scenario I was in this time but decided to check if there was anything odd in alexa app devices list. There was something called remote.ui connected by hass. I deleted it an vioala! everything back to normal

read this thread

Hi,
I have exactly the same issue :< Just additional question as I’m using Alexa only on my phone and don’t have any speakers. Will I even be able to use it? Or do I need at least one speaker to detect emulated hue?

You’ll need a gen1 or gen2 echo dot to detech emulated hue. Without it, it’s impossible.

Disclaimer: This information might have changed. This was how it worked about a year ago. I no longer use emulated hue and this could have changed but I doubt it. The technology is emulating a gen 1 hue bridge which can only interface with old echos.

Erff… Not the solution I was hoping for. I have the exact same router and appear to be having the exact same problem. I don’t want to reset my router to factory and start over though. I’ve got a good many IPs assigned and probably other settings I’ll forget about.