Enable Location Tracking

Can confirm this is also happening to me - iOS App itself freezes when enabling Location. Notification enables just fine. Is this the best place to watch for fixes to this issue?

1 Like

UPDATE: I deleted and re-installed the app, this time I tried turning on Location first, then Notifications. Both are successfully enabled now; not sure why that fixes it.

2 Likes

Did you have 1.0 installed originally? For a couple of people that was the case, they were having crashes and then reinstalling fixed it.

I was having issues as well with setting up the location tracking. I had set up notifications first, and they were working beautifully. But then when I tried to click on the enable location tracking in the settings, it would just freeze app.

So I tried what @fouram suggested , to uninstall app, and re-install. This time enabling location tracking first, then notifications. I did this and it worked. Now I have location tracking enabled just fine, and notifications too.

1 Like

Glad to hear you got it working. Not sure if it was the reinstall, or the change in the order of feature enabling, or both? Hopefully that’s enough of a clue for the devs to track this one down.

@fouram suggestions seems to be working: :thumbsup:

1. Uninstall and reinstall app
2. Enable Location Tracking
3. Enable Notifications
2 Likes

Thanks so much for figuring this one out guys, I can now reproduce the problem and fix is coming in 1.0.3!

1 Like

Hey what OS version was everyone on? @fouram @IROTRAS @Airpal, @ChipSkylark37

10.3.1, got same issue on 10.3 as well before updating.

Well I thought I had it reproduced but nope. Does this apply to any of you?

I’m on iOS 10.3.1

Also, in phone settings the locations services have been set to always (I haven’t changed this so I’m assuming it’s been always the whole time)

Also, in my configuration.yaml I haven’t explicitly declared a zone for home. Just using the home under the main homeassistant:

I did put in the customize under the homeassistant the track_ios: true

If you want, I can uninstall the app, and then try to reproduce the error?

Another note - I’m also on HA app 1.0.1

Hi all,

I too had the same problem. On iOS 10.3.1, I installed HA app version 1.0.1 and enabled notifications first. Then I tried to enable location tracking and the app kept freezing. After uninstalling the app and re-installing, I enabled location tracking first, then notifications and everything seems to work fine.

BR

I’ve been able to get the iOS tracking to work however how can I tie the old map to the iOS tracking and the Zone group that I have that shows which zone each person is in?

For example, I left for work this morning and after a few seconds after leaving the home zone I receive the iOS notification saying left Home but the zone still showed at Home. Same goes for when I entered the Work zone. I got the iOS notification that I got to work but the zone still showed Not Home. I have pasted a screen shot to help show what I’m talking about.

@Jtmoore81 I had similar result. It was like the sensor icon didn’t update to reflect the correct status. But when I clicked on it to see detail history, it showed the time at home correctly for when I got home.

So the icon said away. So I clicked the refresh (looks like up arrow in the app) and it refreshed to status home. Then in looking at history detail it correctly displayed that I had been home for long while.

Example

I noticed that, I wish the UI status and the original map would display in real time based on the iOS tracking.

I had the same problem. On iOS 10.3.1, I installed HA app version 1.0.4 !!! on an iPhone 6s and enabled notifications first. Then I tried to enable location tracking and the app kept freezing. After uninstalling the app and re-installing, I enabled location tracking first, then notifications and everything seems to work fine.

Same here - had to reinstall and do location, THEN notifications. If you do it the other way around the app will freeze every time you try to enable location tracking.

I had the same issue. Uninstall and reinstall of home
Assistant didn’t help - the app settings also seemed to be maintained.

I did a config reset. Then uninstalled app. Then reinstalled. Re logged in. Then enabled both - 0’problems.

I started with 1.0 so if you’re having problems try removing settings via a app reset ( inside the app) first.

The latest update has made this worse :frowning:

After the update, both location and notifications were disabled. Trying to enable location crashed the app. After a couple more tries, I managed to get location activated, but trying to enable notifications now crashes the app every time. (EDIT: however, it does seem that notifications are still working due to opting in to it in the previous version of the app)

Furthermore, the “iOS Component Loaded” indicator is now showing an X about 80% of the time I load the app, but the other 20% of the time it shows the checkmark (EDIT: turns out, clicking “save” on the connection seems to check for the components and properly display the checkmark)

I realize that this topic has been idle for quite a while, but I have been dealing with this problem with the current versions of the app. Any time that I went to App Configuration -> Location -> Location Permission and selected one of the two “Allow” options, the app would freeze up and could only be closed. If it was set to “Allow Once” it could be reopened and was functional (but with permission disabled again). If it was set to “Allow While Using App” it would still be frozen when reopened, with just the settings gear displayed. I have tried resetting, uninstalling, and reinstalling. (I am on iOS 14.2).

Today when I tried it while preparing this post, it seems to be working with version 2020.7(11) and now 2021.1(5). Could this be something that was fixed this week, or should I expect it to happen again?