Energy: Cost for the individual devices

+1 Yes, I need this.

1 Like

+99999 Yes, I need this also :wink:

1 Like

+1 This would be awesome!

1 Like

With the 2022.12 release the workaround of adding appliances to the (gas) consumption dash board can be utilised to track individual appliance costs.

Add the relevant appliance energy sensor and an electricity cost sensor to the gas consumption section.

additionally I created my own overview, combining things from the dashboard cards and sankey chart :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Excellent, who doesn’t like a good Sankey Chart

Can to share your dashboard configuration?

1 Like

Sure, I make use of Dwains Dashboard GitHub - dwainscheeren/dwains-lovelace-dashboard: An fully auto generating Home Assistant UI dashboard for desktop, tablet and mobile by Dwains for desktop, tablet, mobile and the rest are all just apex charts, sankey and the general energy dashboard overview. I will post yaml (of Sankey) here, but it is all just copy/paste :slight_smile:

energy_date_selection: true
height: 200
min_box_distance: 5
min_box_height: 3
round: 1
sections:
  - entities:
      - add_entities:
          - sensor.dsmr_reading_electricity_delivered_1
        children:
          - total
        color: purple
        entity_id: sensor.dsmr_reading_electricity_delivered_1
        name: Laagverbruik
        substract_entities:
          - sensor.dsmr_reading_electricity_delivered_2
        type: entity
      - add_entities:
          - sensor.dsmr_reading_electricity_delivered_2
        children:
          - total
        color: var(--warning-color)
        entity_id: sensor.dsmr_reading_electricity_delivered_2
        name: Hoogverbruik
        substract_entities:
          - sensor.dsmr_reading_electricity_delivered_1
  - entities:
      - children:
          - keuken
          - washok
          - woonkamer
          - meterkast
          - slaapkamer
          - jpt
          - jcl_kamer
          - Verlichting
          - unknown
        color: var(--warning-color)
        entity_id: total
        name: Totaal verbruik
        type: remaining_parent_state
  - entities:
      - children:
          - sensor.keuken_powerplug_vaatwasser_energy
          - sensor.koelkast_energy
        entity_id: keuken
        name: Keuken
        type: remaining_child_state
      - children:
          - sensor.washok_powerplug_wasmachine_energy
          - sensor.washok_powerplug_wasdroger_energy
        entity_id: washok
        name: Washok
      - children:
          - sensor.serverruimte_energy
        entity_id: meterkast
        name: Meterkast
      - children:
          - sensor.jpt_pc_verbruik_energy
        entity_id: jpt
        name: JPT Kamer
      - children:
          - sensor.jcl_pc_verbruik_energy
        entity_id: jcl_kamer
        name: JCL Kamer
      - children:
          - sensor.jl_pc_verbruik_energy
          - sensor.woonkamer_powerplug_tvmeubel_energy
          - sensor.woonkamer_powerplug_bank_energy
        entity_id: woonkamer
        name: Woonkamer
      - children:
          - sensor.slaapkamer_powerplug_tv_energy
        entity_id: slaapkamer
        name: Slaapkamer
      - children:
          - sensor.verlichting_energy
        entity_id: Verlichting
        name: Verlichting
      - children: []
        color: grey
        entity_id: unknown
        name: Overig
        type: remaining_parent_state
  - entities:
        color: green
        entity_id: sensor.keuken_powerplug_vaatwasser_energy
        entity_id: sensor.koelkast_energy
        entity_id: sensor.washok_powerplug_wasmachine_energy
        entity_id: sensor.washok_powerplug_wasdroger_energy
        entity_id: sensor.serverruimte_energy
        entity_id: sensor.jpt_pc_verbruik_energy
        entity_id: sensor.jcl_pc_verbruik_energy
        entity_id: sensor.jl_pc_verbruik_energy
        entity_id: sensor.woonkamer_powerplug_bank_energy
        color: yellow
        entity_id: sensor.woonkamer_powerplug_tvmeubel_energy
        color: yellow
        entity_id: sensor.slaapkamer_powerplug_tv_energy
        color: orange
        entity_id: sensor.verlichting_energy
show_names: true
show_states: true
show_units: true
type: custom:sankey-chart
unit_prefix: k
wide: true

The Sankey chart info can be found here. Since the latest release it also contains an autoconfig option that re-uses all entities available in the energy dashboard as well . Anyone using the Sankey Chart Card?

3 Likes

Is there something missing that we need to setup?

When i import your code i see the message

Error: No energy data received. Make sure to add a type: energy-date-selection card to this screen.

The code only contains 1 card (sankey) add an additional custom card with type: energy-date-selection

Oh boy this needs a +1 from me as well. Would love to see this!

+1 from me too.

For all the +1 people, please “vote” on the top of this page by means of the vote button. Do you guys have other ideas to get this to the attention of the devs?or isthe forum the only way?

This feature has the third most votes already, so I’m quite sure devs have this on their radar but please continue to vote it up!

I was also quite “blue-eyed” on how an implementation could be done, however, it’s not that simple.

Quick check, what would the cost be for a device when (if) you produce your energy yourself (Solar panels)? How do you then calculate the cost for your light vs your boiler?
Then there’s a clear complexity brought in from the fact that many countries/regions have different pricing originating from the grid companies and it’s quite complex to bring in all this at the same time.

My personal opinion is still that an MVP would suffice as a starting point.
Pricing from template entity and consumption like the “mains” would enable budgeting “on-times” e.g. “spend $10 on heating the boiler today” no matter if I produced the energy consumed or not.

This topic was also brought up during the “What the Heck” month.
Please see the thread here where the complexity on this task is described: WTH!? - Why can't we see electricity cost for individual entities in Energy dashboard? - #19 by Boba_ferret

I think the complexity is overrated. (as long as the communication is clear about what it does, and expectations are clear).What we have seen here in this group, and some other areas, is that people would like to have a cost estimation per device to get an “high level view” what a individual device actually costs. As an example, the game pc’s of my kids are "on"all the time, even when they jump under a shower or watch videos on bed. It made them realize, that if they put their PC in standbye modus it actually is not using any power and thus saves money. having this insight in individual costs creates a humongous amount of awareness. setting the individual devices part in the energy dashboard up exactly as the gas portion in the dashboard, creates already this insight.

wrt to pricing I use DSMR reader created sensors for actual price (We have 2 tarifs, low and high at different times). DSMR spits out current tarif…

I have solved the cost of consumption for solar/ battery/ grid mixed sources of power. See my comments above.

In summary I created a consumption cost entity ($/ kWh) which reflects the instant cost of the blended sources of power.

Assigning this entity to each relevant device through the ‘gas’ consumption dashboard ends up with the true cost for each device over the day/ week/ month/ year. All the smarts are in the consumption dashboard already.

You can see below, I don’t assign a common cost per device, the cost depends on when the device is run. My pool cost is negative as I run the pumps when the export price is negative, so I’m saving money by self consuming solar which I would otherwise have to export with a negative price.

2 Likes

Hello everyone!

I have tried to apply the workaround of adding the individual devices to Gas but unfortunately only my Wallbox integration appears, the entities created with RIEMANN SUM Helper are not there. Is there something missing?

state_class: total
source: sensor.fridge_current_consumption
unit_of_measurement: kWh
icon: mdi:chart-histogram
friendly_name: Fridge Consumption Total

I have a stupid question but adding individual devices as “Return to the grid” will work?
It will remove the amount consumed by those devices that are already included on the main source.

I think you miss:

unique_id: just_think_of_one
      device_class: gas

Then it will work.
Your second question is not that stupid. I tried that as well. However your actual costs will be a bit messed up. I ended up using the Sankey chart to make things more visible aside.

It is a shame DEVS have not picked this up yet since this group is really populair.

1 Like

Hi Mark, I am 2 weeks into homeassistant and really enjoying it. I am trying to replace what you have done here. How are you getting this view?

The view I have is as per the attached.

Thanks in advance.

That view looks like you have the devices setup correctly which is usually the hardest part, well done.

Is this your own custom view, or the default energy dashboard?

Do you have measurements for total house consumption from the grid and have you included those values on the energy dashboard?

Can you show your energy dashboard configuration page?

Hi Mark, thanks for responding so promptly.

I am using the default energy dashboard.

I use Amber Electricity which has a variable rate for power based on current wholesale market spot pricing. The API to HomeAssistant only provides the following inputs:

• General Forecast (Predicted kWh price per hour)
  • General Price (Current kWh price per hour)
  • General Price Descriptor (String detailing current price “normal, low, etc”)
  • Price Spike (off/on - flags when price is spiking across the network and spot price is increasing or expected to increase)
  • Renewables (percentage of renewable power currently in the grid)

Unfortunately the integration doesn’t provide the daily usage / cost into HomeAssistant, even though it is in the API from Amber. So I can’t add the grid consumption to the energy config page. (see attached screenshot)

I have also played around with using a custom sensor to create a dashboard calculating the cost per hour/day for an appliance (in this case my Synology), however I am not sure if I am heading in the right direction. (Ignore the formatting in the 2nd screenshot - I am just playing with the function not the form). I really like your view where at a glance you can see what is using power for the day.

Thanks again for taking the time to take a look.

1 Like