Energy Dashboard names customisable

Adding to the energy bar chart makes it even more complex to ‘see’ what happens:

Yeah ok. I think the idea is that the energy dashboard is like a “one size fits all” sort of deal. If you want customisable you have to make your own dashboards.

( I’m getting a 180 day bill this period as the energy company are upgrading their systems. It’s usually half that so the cost forecasts are way off).

Care is a large word, just a finishing touch to a great system.

2 Likes

More and more houses change to other ways of heating, so yes, a more common name would make sense…

3 Likes

Looks great! This is probably the next step, but the energy dashboard is already quite capable.

There’s also this card that I use to see my hot water and heatpump use. It’s only power though, not energy:

Screenshot 2022-05-31 at 23-38-12 Overview – Home Assistant

https://github.com/reptilex/tesla-style-solar-power-card

Edit: there’s a better card than this now.

2 Likes

Except the problem is that this is not just for heating, there’s plenty of houses that still have a gas furnace/stove/oven. In that sense, Heating is also wrong…

Hence the request to give it a custom name. For me it is also cooling.
And I also added the energy consumption of my Heat Recovery Ventilation unit.

1 Like

You’re right, my bad, I thought the request was just to change it overall, in that case, my previous comment is overruled

I absolutely love the Energy Mangagement in HA; it’s probably the main reason why i started using HA. So good job to the people behind it!

We personally heat with heating oil and i’ve got our oil-usage set up under “gas” atm. Everything is working perfectly fine, however it would be great if i could rename it to “oil” (and being able to set the units to Liters would be even more awesome).

In general it would be nice to have 2 or 3 additional, fully custumisable “entities” within the energy management. They could be used and configured in anyway you would like.
For examply i have a solar-thermal panel, which at the moment doesn’t fit electricity nor gas and can’t be included in the homes energy management.
Another example: i know a lot of people want to track their water usage (even though this strictly isn’t “energy”, it would make sense to track it within the energy dashboard as a resource).

So i think a couple of additional entities, where you can change the name and the measurement unit to your liking would go a long way in making the current system a lot more flexible for different users situations.

3 Likes

@pbootsma, I want to do the same, use the gas section for a heat pump, but I don’t seem to be able to put the HP entity in the gas section. Did you do something special there?

what is that cute energy distribution visualisation?

Did you work this out, as i cant see my heatpump entity either?

I agree that the ability to add the heat pump natively to the Energy dashboard is a good idea.

Have used the sanky Distibution card, but where did you get the other cards from?

No, I did not do anything special. Just a regular kWh energy consumption entity.
Look if your entity has the following attributes:

state_class: total_increasing
unit_of_measurement: kWh
device_class: energy

Hello,

I would also like to rename gas to heat pump or heating on the power distribution card.

Is there a solution for this?

Thank you.

1 Like

How do you show the Energy Use (hourly) in the dashboard?

The title itself reminds me of a similar problem, but not related to titles: entity names in HA tend to be very descriptive, since they are used in a bunch of places. However, in an Energy dashboard, it’s redundant to have a bunch of entities with “energy” (or similar expressions) on it.

It would be awesome if we could rename entities only for that dashboard, or even more, have contextual names and icons for the same entities throughout HA. E.g. I want my heater automations to have a coil icon on the automations list, but on the washroom dashboard, they must be more specific, showing timer icons, and also don’t need to state “bathroom heater”, just “heater” etc).

I also have a heat pump and listed it under the ‘Individual devices’ section?
What’s the benefit of adding it as a ‘Gas’ consuming entity? Might do the same then.

if you set a price/cost you can know how much it costs you