Entity Icon color & custom icon color based on state (customise icon_color)

I can confirm that replacing

Object.assign(this._icon.style,{color:s.attributes.icon_color,filter:""})

with

this._showIcon=true,this._iconStyle={color:s.attributes.icon_color}

fixes the issue and my icons have color again!

I made the change in state-card-custom-ui.html but the color change didnā€™t work.

What else should I do?

see https://github.com/Mariusthvdb/custom-ui

take out the state: template. that will lead to unexpected, and/or undesired effects.

if you change the actual state, (which is what this does) the template above it wonā€™t work anymore, since you have them evaluate ā€˜onā€™ and ā€˜offā€™ā€¦

you will have to wait until we manage to re-introduce _stateDisplay or, use template-entity-row to make it show whatever you want.

and yes, follow GitHub - Mariusthvdb/custom-ui: Add templates and icon_color to Home Assistant UI. :wink:

Refresh cache ā€¦
Works

THX

To help myself out (and others trying to work out how to have an icon colour change on state):

Iā€™m running Home Assistant (previously called hassio on a pi. After hours of trying to work out what to do reading forum posts, finding Custom-UI got broken, then fixed, the broken etc and running round in circles. Should we use the HACS plugin youā€™ve linked instead of the normal copy files and edit configuration.yaml chaos?

1 Like

Also have a look here:

either or.

If you are starting from scratch, https://github.com/Mariusthvdb/custom-ui is clearer as it is up to date with the way lovelace works today

If you have HACS installed, all you need to do is add https://github.com/Mariusthvdb/custom-ui as custom repository

Yeah Iā€™m currently conversing with the creator in an issue on his github trying to get it installed, as his instructions definitely donā€™t work for me (and probably others)

It looks like heā€™s annoyed by my noobness and just giving me the old ā€œcheck the docsā€ lines, despite me going to quite thorough lengths to document my steps with text and screenshots (standard for forums though, so I donā€™t mind :slightly_smiling_face:).

Can you provide any insight as to where Iā€™m going wrong?

https://github.com/Mariusthvdb/custom-ui/issues/2

As I was trying to explain some basic stuff for you on the repo, and youā€™ve now taken it to this fine community, it might be wise to focus on 1 place, so Iā€™ll close the issue in the repo then ok?

continue here.

I look forward to someone helping me, and it helping you to improve the installation instructions to help others too :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

thanks for chiming in!
this wont help though, question is about icon_color, not icon based on state. Thereā€™s but 1 way to do that globally (Lovelace of course allows styling of Icon and its color, but only per entity or per card) and that is using custom-ui, which adds the attribute icon_color.

Okey, i then misunderstood the question

sure, thatā€™s always on my mind, improve HA :wink: keep us informed about your ongoings.

Nothing has really changed this end. Iā€™ve gone over your instructions multiple times, tried a new install of HA on a spare pie, and even had a Linux savvy friend team viewer into my computer to try and help.

All roads lead to your documentation missing something critical. And given the extensive screenshots I posted in the issue on your GitHub, Iā€™m quite surprised you canā€™t instantly diagnose the issue. Although my instincts tell me that you probably donā€™t want to.

Can anyone lend a hand to me and others like me?

1 Like

That is quite disrespectful imho - itā€™s not even his own component (originally). He was kind enough to research all the changes introduced in 110, even contacted other developers to help. I had 0 problems to install this and it works perfectly fine. So itā€™s definitely user error!

Anyway, I will try to help you:

• did you restart HA?
  • did you clear cache?
  • did you try in incognito mode?

Otherwise, try to rename the folder to customui (no dash), change the resources to represent this and repeat above steps.

well yeah, thanks @M1ke, that would be my assessment too.

had another look at the ā€˜extensive screenshotsā€™, and seems the file size is wrong. My local file is 58 kb,

repo reports 56.6 kb

Schermafbeelding 2020-06-06 om 00.04.14

while sausages file is 10 times the size:

donā€™t know what happened there.

still trying to as you seeā€¦ against better judgement, who knows. Maybe follow the docs, and not your instincts would be better after allā€¦

1 Like

Good catch - didnā€™t see that!
I tried to investigate how one could even get such a file size, here are my observations:

• custom-ui-master.zip: 479 kb
  • custom-ui-master: 631 kb
  • right-click on custom-ui.js in github and then ā€˜save link asā€¦ā€™ (see below): 647 kb

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-06 um 00.50.42

I made the mistake from point 3 far too often when I started :crazy_face: :laughing: so I gave it a try, but doesnā€™t seem to be the case.

So @dave_sausages, the solution will be re-install it. Please follow these steps:

1. Download the whole zip from github

1. unzip the downloaded file and open the folder
  2. move only! the freshly downloaded custom-ui.js into /www/custom-ui folder to replace the old one
  3. restart HA
  4. clear cache a few times or try incognito mode

OR, as you have hacs installed,

HACS->FrontEnd, select the three dots/hamburger/right top menu button ā†’ custom repositories
enter https://github.com/Mariusthvdb/custom-ui as a lovelace entry, click add

close the repositories window, and you should have a new CustomUI /New repository on the screen. Select install. wait a few seconds for it to download, and select install

( i had a couple of issues of two instances appearing here)

Now select the main configuration side menu->LoveLace Dashboards->Resources
and make sure you have /hacsfiles/custom-ui/custom-ui.js listed.

IF you donā€™t, add it as a javascript module.

Refresh page
Select developer tools side menu item ā†’ info.

make sure you have somethign like

Custom UIs:
JS 20200528-adapted-for-HA110+

Aha! Nailed it! I did indeed make the mistake of a direct single file download and not download the whole project zip file and extract it from there. I did make the same mistake a long time ago too, but obviously enough time has passed for me to repeat it.

@Mariusthvdb do you have a ā€œdonate a beer facilityā€? I canā€™t see one on your repo. Having a nice looking Dashboard on my system because youā€™ve ported Custom-ui is well worth a beer or two (when/if your local pub reopens after the Corona Pirates have gone).

Thanks

*edit and thanks to others as well that pointed out how to get the correct file size. That parts wasnā€™t needed by me as Iā€™d already gone ā€œOh! Iā€™ve done that stupid github mistake againā€, but Iā€™m sure it will help others.