Error updating Home Assistant Core 'HomeAssistantCore.update' blocked from execution

Yes…

docker stop portainer
docker rm portainer
docker image prune
docker volume prune

Supervisor logs then.

Hi guys. I came here after posting my own question about this recent developement with not being able to update Home Assistant when running Supervised on generic linux distro install method, and using extra containers. Which I’ve been running with no apparent issues for many years now, until just a week ago, when it refused to update.

At this point I think it’s worth asking one question. With current restrictions in place, and possibly more restrictions coming - are there any benefits left to running this installation method? If we can’t install our own containers, if we’re restricted by many things, what benefits are still here (and wont be taken away) by running it this way, instead of running HassOS in a VM? Because I’m starting to question this. I’m one step away at throwing a weekend on migrating my setup to HassOS VM and moving all other containers into my other existing Docker VM. I’m hoping for someone to talk me out of this, tbh.

1 Like

If you are already adept at running containers, the other question to ask is what benefits would you gain from running HAOS. It really depends on how many addons you use and how easily you could run HA container vs HAOS. Especially if you can already handle the networking and VM stuff…

Nothing has been taken away as you were already acting contrary to the prescribed method of using Supervised.

There is no suggestion of more restrictions, where did you get that idea?

hass.io moved to supervisor(and OS). Supervisor has moved to more locked down.

Definition of an “Officially supported installation method”

Today we are introducing a classification between what is “Officially supported” vs “Community supported”. An officially supported installation method in the Home Assistant context means:

“A way of installing and running Home Assistant that is officially supported by the Home Assistant project. It means the installation method is tested and documented in the official documentation. Running Home Assistant using such a supported method, leads to the optimal user experience, now and for the future.”

The Home Assistant team will not prevent you from running Home Assistant using an unofficial method. However, we cannot help with issues that you encounter. We are open for contributions that improve compatibility with a community supported method as long as they do not impact officially supported methods, add a significant amount of code exceptions or future maintenance burden on the Home Assistant development team.

May 2020 blog

I do use quiet a bit of addons, and they come preconfigured for use with Hass, so I’d say it’s a large time saver over running it all myself. My original idea was that everything related to smart home is running inside one VM and one system as much as possible. Which included homebridge, and this ideology has to be broken now because of this new restriction.

1 Like

There is. As it turns out they are consistently adding additional checks that mark installation as unhealthy. Anything that they consider to not comply with their description of the ‘supported supervised installation’ is potentially going to become a blocker for updates. My installation was happily updating for over 3 years if not more, until last week when they decided to add a check whether Portainer is installed, and blocking updates for that. It was not a problem last time I updated like a month ago, now it is.

And I see no objective reason for this restriction to be enforced like that. Unless they really hate having to ‘officially support’ this installation method. Which they apparently do.

And it became 'non prescribed method of using Supervised" not long ago. I’ve used it for years as a ‘supported prescribed method’. Oh, and Portainer was not even on the list of ‘non prescribed’ things until recently.

2 Likes

Everything other than what you install outside the official installer is “non prescribed”. Read the docs.

I’m not sure such attitude is something that’s healthy in this forum. And you are the one who should read what others are trying to say. You missed all the points entirely.

You can turn off the health check which will let you update through SSH. I forget the command, just run help on the ha su and it’ll probably show up in the help list.

Perhaps you missed this that I quoted in another thread, this is the justification. This was a response to a suggestion to remove portainer from the unhealthy list.

Unfortunately, we have seen cases where Portainer possibly interferes. In normal setups, it should also not be needed to run Portainer directly, nor does the general goal of running Portainer fit Home Assistants architectural guidelines/goals (Supervisor and Portainer both have the goal of orchestration, which is conflicting).

In most cases, it will actually cause more problems for lesser experienced users that have no idea what they are getting themselves into. Yet, those lesser experienced users, are the main target audience for this installation method and the ones that need to be protected from getting themselves into impossible situations. More often resulting in support requests, issue reports, end-user frustrations, and an overall bad user experience.

If one really wants to work directly with Docker and has the experience, we, of course, offer the Home Assistant container installation method; which would be a much better fit for you in that case.

Anyways, we provide the means to override/disable these checks, if you really wish, using the CLI tools: ha jobs options --ignore-conditions healthy

Please note, this will render your system into an unsupported state (as running additional containers is not supported anyways, as is also documented).

Going to close the PR on this end, as an advanced option/alternative is offered.

…/Frenck

Nice,

That’s fixt it👍🏻

You run the command ha jobs reset but it wont always work you can also check the jobs.json file in the home assistant folder and delete the content in the file but keep the file itself.

You can also rename the portainer container it will keep you installation unsupported but will fix not healty and will allow future updates. Here some guidance’s i found on FB

Where do I have to run “ha jobs options --ignore-conditions healthy”? I tried everything is allways same error

In your host terminal. For example, in my case in the raspberry pi terminal. No

Do you know if there are a method to run addons with docker installation? It’s a good feature for fast deployment.

No there is not. But they are all docker containers anyway.