ESP32-Audio-Kit (ESP32-A1S) with Squeezelite for Notifications

Just changed the topic name to ESP32-Audio-Kit (ESP32-A1S) with Squeezelite for Notifications as Squeezelite seems to be the main thing being used here.

There is also a very productive discussion going on at ESP32 a1s Audio kit for voice assistant for using this board with ESPHome and the new voice assistant features.

3 Likes

Found the resolution to my own dilemma in Zorglup’s post #1

• Go to server configuration / Plugins tab
  • In the list of 3rd party plugins, install SqueezeESP32
  • Click Save Settings
  • Restart LMS

So, the ESP32-Audio-Kit now plays audio from the LMS sometimes. But it’s very slow to start, and not responsive to mouse clicks from the LMS server web page. :frowning: Have 80% RSSI signal strength on the ESP32-Audio-Kit, and the LMS is running on an RPi3b, hardwired into the network, using a CIFS/SMB shared music drive from a wired file server on the same network switch. Is it just the nature of the ESP32 running SqueezeLite to be this way?
It turned out, restarting the LMS server and the ESP32 Squeezelite player didn’t help. What finally DID resolve the issue, was moving my laptop away from the ESP32 player. Today, it’s working perfectly well. All I can think is, wifi interference from close proximity was causing issues.

1 Like

Question:
What about the Infineon MA12070 Class D amplifier?
2x80W for about 20$ on Aliexpress.
But… there also seems to be a P version with I2S for Raspberry named PL-DD-160W. And that seems to be EPS32 compatible.
IT does thave a ESP32 Mainboard to buy…

But there also seems to be an all in One Board with ESP32 and MA12070 in one piece!

With around 40$ and extra shipping that is more expensive than the 10$ LyraT board, on which you could get the 15$ Amp only and still have full power…
But… if this Works that seems to be a clean compact “All in One” solution.

P.S found a few others.

The Sonatino which uses the EPS-S3 no bluetooth but should work nonetheless.
Pretty small PCB. But currently sold out on Amazon for around 40$ with only 3W

The ESP32 Audio Docks from Andriy Malyshenko or Sonocotta
IMHO the most interesting one ist the ESP louder which you can buy from Tindie for about 15$
Which comes with TAS5805M I2S DAC, driving 2x 23W load.
That should be enough for smaller speakers.

Definitely gonna get one of those for testing!

2 Likes

The ESP-Louder is quite awesome.
Got Squeezeelite-esp32 working on it.

Just make sure you don’t buy those CA Min minx 20 speakers. They’re utter trash.

2 Likes

Would you have alink for where you sourced the ESP-Louder? tia

1 Like

The HiFi ESP looks a better option as unsure why they shackle themselves to these realtively ‘toy like’ amps.
Often the wattage is rated with a THD of 10% driving as low as 2ohms so the real world is a fraction of rated even if better than some.
Prefer to just have a line out and get my own amps.

I quite like Snapcast also as on a Pi Zero those https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006068910723.html are very cheap and sound better than most amps and speakers we play them through.
Actually Pi Zero doesn’t make much sense when the 02 is £2 more as the sync with snapcast is an order higher as 3m for Squeezelite is too much for multi-speakers but like the <30cm of snapcast is small enough for most.

Hi.
Do you have a config for the ESP louder?

Hi All.

I’m the developer behind Louder-ESP as well as HiFi-ESP and Loud-ESP docks.

I actually participated in github discussion and installed and tested myself squeezelite-esp32 on all listed boards. I put down step-by-step instruction on how to do so.

I’m working on updated version of the Louder-ESP right now. It should add 45W mono output, aluminum case, USB PD and few extras. I’d be happy to hear some feedback from anyone using or planning to use one of those boards. I’m ready to answer questions if there are any.

4 Likes

@stuartiannaylor You’re right, they are no competitor for full size amps and speakers set, that you can buy now for peanuts, and that’s why I made (and use myself) an HiFi-ESP.

But for multi-room or ceiling speakers fair 15W is more than enough, I’m sure you’ll agree
image.

Prob not especially if you mean rated than actual.
Often amp boards are rated at 10% THD into very low ohmage such as 2 ohms. That a 15watt amp is likely more like 7watt.

If you take the standard Echo & Nest smart speakers they are both 30watt actual.
So a 50watt mono or 100watt stereo as by the time you are driving 4ohm at levels hopefully much lower than 10% THD likely we are talking 25/30watt.
I like the Sure Electronics modules as they are good quality but you can find https://store.sure-electronics.com/product/AA-AB32178 tpa3166 modules on ebay and aliexpress for a fraction of the price.
Try to find one with a mute and standby as there are <$10 boards that do but take some Googling.

For me its better to just have a lineout and leave ampage to choice, my personal preference for a room is approx 30watt Stereo pair that are used with a lot of headroom for transients and peaks.
Room size, room type and how many speakers and how you can wire and install things all create the need for choice, so that modular seperate amplfiers, recievers and speakers is often more flexible.

Why would you do the DAC part on the Microcontroller and not simply buy a DAC/AMP Combo with USB audio Input?
Then you simply need a Raspberry or similar with USB Audio Output Support and don’t have any problems with interference on the DAC part.

Btw, i hooked the Louder-ESP onto Dali Spektor 2 (rated 6ohm) and for my living room (roughly 10m x 4.5m) and it was okay. But for smaller rooms like bed or bathroom thats enough. You normally don’t listen at a volume where you can’t hold a conversation anymore ^^

Especially for a Multiroom equipment you don’t want three different devices, a small formfactor all-In-One is IMHO preferential.

1 Like

Because we are talking about squeezelite-esp32 boards that do not have usb audio employed and driver support, but you could I guess.
As yeah likely I would use a USB soundcard and use the Mic input for voice control.
Just a personal thing but there are quite a few ESP-Squeezelite boards with onboard often toylike amps.
The louder-esp is one of those rare boards where the amp is much less toy like and can do 2x 23W at 22V Vin into 8Ohm.
That is not much off what I am saying is a minimum of an effective 30watt as yeah I have been known to listen to music and turn it down to have a conversation.
Be it soundbar, amp module or whatever there is choice as there are quite a few amd prob the Louder has the highest rating but why embed ewaste.
Just give line out and leave amp up to choice maybe swap the amp for a 24vto5v buck as that would be a super handy voltage and very common with smaller amps (my smaller).

I was not actually critising the louder, but likely would be on the quiet side for me as never drive anywhere near rated maxes as its THD city.
In general it puzzles me why so many embed toy like amps and I guess because they can.

I actually do use Pi Zero2W with a Plugable USB Audio Adapter – Plugable Technologies or did as its the only one I know with a stereo mic in.
I am sort of same as hook up to bargain ebay satelite speakers which also saves more ewaste as the cones area likely a cheaper buy than anything you can DIY.

I had 4 x 30 watt and yeah it could get kind of loud with 2x Pi Zero2W and soundcards driving 24v amps all on a buck to Pi.
Also why I prefer Snapcast to Squeezelite as the laytency adjust is far too large with Squeezelite to run active speakers in normal size rooms.

Those old Cantons are like a late 80s/90s speaker from the design of them but boy they sound mighty, Sony are just el cheapo’s from a surround sound I think.
Sony’s minus P&P was <£10
I paid just over £20 for the Cantons even though old well worth it.

But as said I would never run anywhere near max rated.

• 50W@4Ohm 21V DC THD+N 10%
  • 36W@4Ohm 21V DC THD+N 1%

So yeah my rear speakers where running into 6ohm whilst front 4ohm running at 24v but running under 30watt as I don’t even want to listen to 1% THD. The input signal is well backed down so plenty of headroom for bass without that horrid 1-10% THD area.

I stole the Pis and its all dissasembled at the moment, but was not a swipe at the Louder ESP32 in fact because it does at least some where approaching OK it prompted me to say about the plethora of product that does have ‘Toy like’ amps and I do wonder why not just leave it line out and provide choice.

There is a new improved edition of the Louder-ESP now called Esparagus.

25$ on Tindie for the 3W edition with Case. IMHO pretty good deal.

1 Like

Hey guys. Just letting you know that I’m starting Crowd Supply campaign for the upgraded version of the Louder ESP (and the family). I is accumulated community feedback, for which I can be only grateful

• it has onboard Wroover module and external antenna (to address connectivity issues)
  • It has ethernet onboard (alternative to WiFi), not on the image yet :wink:
  • It is powered via USB power delivery (and will be shipped with one)
  • It is cased in Aluminum case, and I’m planning to thermocouple it with DAC, so you should be able to get maximum power out of it without overheating
  • It has onboard IR reader
  • It has mono mode via jumper

It would help if you subscribe to the campaign, so I can better understand the demand and the end cost of the unit.

1 Like