ESP32 board from Aliexpress yaml config

This board just arrived from Aliexpress it’s labeled as esp wroom-32

Can someone provide a yaml config that works for this board along with that AM2302 temp and humidity sensor?

I can flash the board via HA w/ ESPhome and it connects to WiFi … now just need to get the yaml right for the sensor.

This is the board and sensor.

image|690x408

In the firmware i have the board as:

board: nodemcu-32s (not sure about this but it works)

This config flashes, connects to WiFI but does not get any temp / humidity data. Most google searches refer to pins as D1 … Dn but this board does not accept on validate

esphome:
  name: greenhouse_temp
  platform: ESP32
  board: nodemcu-32s

wifi:
  ssid: "redacted"
  password: "redacted"

sensor:
  - platform: dht
    pin: 7
    model: DHT22
    temperature:
      name: "Temperature"
    humidity:
      name: "Humidity"
    update_interval: 5s

That is an ESP32 mini board, so you have the wrong board type. Try this:

esphome:
  name: greenhouse_temp
  platform: ESP32
  board: mhetesp32minikit

Here’s an example of my DHT22 config, it sends updates every 3.75min (15 x 15sec).

sensor:
  - platform: dht
    pin: GPIO27 # make sure you get this correct
    model: DHT22
    update_interval: 15s # change this if you want faster or slower updates
    temperature:
      name: "Master Bedroom Temperature"
      filters:
        - sliding_window_moving_average:
            window_size: 15  # change this and the next line if you want to average more or less samples
            send_every: 15
            send_first_at: 1
    humidity:
      name: "Master Bedroom Humidity"
      filters:
            window_size: 15 # as above for averaging

Another recommended sensor (wifi signal level):

- platform: wifi_signal
    name: "Master Bedroom DHT WiFi Signal"
    update_interval: 15s
    filters:
          window_size: 15

And a binary sensor for connected status:

binary_sensor:
  - platform: status
    name: "Master Bedroom DHT Status"
3 Likes

Thank you @tom_l can always count on good advice from you. I will test this out tomorrow and report back

Hi Tom, I use ‘wemos_d1_mini32’ for these boards. Is there a specific reason you use this type?

@tom_l , @sender I am just getting started with these boards, would you fellas find post a picture of your board that shows the jumper connections? Curious to see how you connect them (just jumpers or soldering)?

There are two rows on pins on each side of the chip, which do you use (inside row or outside row)?

Both.

They are all GPIO connections.

The grey/white columns correspond to the labels on the back of the board.

Also make yourself familiar with the recommended GPIOs to use, shown in the table lower down on this webpage: ESP32 Pinout Reference: Which GPIO pins should you use? | Random Nerd Tutorials

I solder all my connections. Less likely to have issues with poor contact that way.

It’s what I found here when I first started using this board:

https://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/boards/espressif32/mhetesp32minikit.html#board-espressif32-mhetesp32minikit

I don’t think this existed back then:

https://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/boards/espressif32/wemos_d1_mini32.html#board-espressif32-wemos-d1-mini32

The original design was by MH-ET LIVE but they got the shits with the Chinese ripping off the design and using underpowered voltage regulators so took down their website information.

1 Like

I also use both. I solder the jumper pin row things and use jumper cables. That way I can easily change layout later or replace if a board get broken (never had that untill now). One time I made a mistake and I got white smoke :-), then I got this message “brownout detected”. I knew what they meant but the smoke was not brown :-).

btw this is my most used board because it has good wifi, bluetooth (BLE scanning) and touch capabilities, it is small and easy to handle.

The only thing to be careful with this board is that some Chinese clones use a voltage regulator that hardly has the current rating for wifi TX peak current. This component:

MH-ET_LIVE_D1_mini_ESP32_pinout

Is available as a 150mA or 300mA version.

The ones I currently have are labelled 4B2K. That’s only 150mA. :frowning: However I haven’t had any issue with them powering small loads like a DHT22. The Onboard capacitors must be storing enough charge for the wifi transmit spikes.

1 Like

Is there a trick to this? I find when jumper cables are attached to these pins, the are rather loose. Not fully pushed in all the way here but even when they are, its still feels unsecure

How do you get a tight / snug fit?

Hence why I solder everything.

However, you are pushing the connector onto the part of the header that gets soldered into the PCB. That is not meant to have connectors applied to it.

Apologies for the blurry photos:

3 Likes

Is this the placement of the headers that would be recommended? (Prior to soldering)

:+1: looks good to me.

I did not get any of the M 2 M headers in my kit but I can see how they are useful

Yeah I’m pretty sure I didn’t either. Only female headers. I just took that second pic to show you that the male header has a thicker square pin compared to the female header PCB pins.

Just got these all soldered up and getting data from the DHT22:

I read that HA will converted the temp readings to degrees Fahrenheit but thats for later.

Thx for the help @tom_l and @sender

Do you guys use these boards “naked” or do you put the a case? Referring to board itself and DHT22 sensor (or any other sensor)

1 Like

do not put the dht and esp in the same case, that’s the rule of thumb

1 Like

What is the difference between these two products? One seems to be on a circuit board and other does not.

They are priced similarly with the circuit board version costing a bit more.

When connecting to esp32 pins are they interchangeable?

Sorry for the bad image

Both are there:

1 Like

Read the specs?
Possible a pull up resistor is in the pcb

2 Likes