ESP32 board from Aliexpress yaml config

I’m having drama’s with these boards - I’m wondering if I got some crappy ones.

Have the knock-offs you’ve used been ok or flaky?

I got one flashed with a basic ESPHome config but now seems it won’t join wifi. Then another two won’t even flash over serial.

Mine def have has the cheaper CH9102 not the SIL CP2104 (not that I really understand what that means).

Couldn’t read the voltage regulator even with my phone’s macro lens…

esphome:
  name: air-quality-3
  platform: ESP32
  board: mhetesp32minikit
  #Pinout
  # https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi1.wp.com%2Fwww.esp32learning.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F12%2FMH-ET_LIVE_D1_mini_ESP32_pinout.png%3Fresize%3D696%252C479&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.esp32learning.com%2Fmicropython%2Fmh-et-live-minikit-for-esp32-and-micropython.php&tbnid=4edu3WuYYXuE2M&vet=12ahUKEwjm2Z6r16b1AhWCk9gFHfUzDSwQMygAegUIARC9AQ..i&docid=ArGsrmNrUC6cWM&w=696&h=479&itg=1&q=MH-ET%20LIVE%20D1%20mini%20pinout&ved=2ahUKEwjm2Z6r16b1AhWCk9gFHfUzDSwQMygAegUIARC9AQ

wifi:
  ssid: "MeSSID"
  password: "MePassword"

# Enable logging
logger:

# # Enable Home Assistant API
api:
ota:

logs:

========================= [SUCCESS] Took 21.93 seconds =========================
INFO Successfully compiled program.
esptool.py v3.2
Serial port /dev/ttyACM0
Connecting......................................

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: No serial data received.
For troubleshooting steps visit: https://github.com/espressif/esptool#troubleshooting
INFO Upload with baud rate 460800 failed. Trying again with baud rate 115200.
esptool.py v3.2
Serial port /dev/ttyACM0
Connecting......................................

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: No serial data received.
For troubleshooting steps visit: https://github.com/espressif/esptool#troubleshooting

Edit: I think 4 of 5 of my MH-ET LIVE D1 mini clones were dead on arrival.

Flaky.

I’ve switched to using these properly designed and provisioned ESP32 mini boards:

1 Like

Cheers, I’ll take a look.

I think I’m almost done with cheap shitty boards, but it’s hard to say - I just keep putting them in my shopping cart and then swearing at them later…

These boards are not much dearer, shipping is faster than Aliexpress and they are available with a couple of options like headers soldered or not, and external or on board wifi antenna.

Looks like they’re all sold out ATM…

1 Like

Damn. I just checked the quinled discord to see this posted by the designer on the 27th of December:

We’re currently trying to get more stock but we’re currently having issues with the newest batches of ESP32 received from espressif, not sure yet when or how that will be resolved.

It’s good they caught the problem though.

2 Likes

I’ve got a couple of these handy too so hopefully they are legit. Maybe I’ll have better luck.

I think 4 of 5 of my MH-ET LIVE D1 mini clones were dead on arrival.

I went with trying these two after watching a Andreas Spiess review.

Thought I was upgrading from the other clones I was using.

I’ve got two of those LilyGo ESP32 boards working for months now. They’re air quality sensors, driving three separate I2C and DHT devices each. So far, so good.

1 Like

Looks like a quality board. It has a 600mA 3.3V regulator. You are unlikely to be exceeding that even with a lot of peripherals.

1 Like

try

esphome:
  board: wemos_d1_mini32
1 Like

Good to know. I’m using them for air quality too and I’m really going to load them up.

PM, co2, temp/humidity, screen, LEDs, rttl buzzer, fan.

The superpower project is worth tracking too I reckon.

Hey what board are you using for the ESPhome config?

esp32:
  board: ttgo-t7-v14-mini32 
#?

I couldn’t see v1.5?

Hope I’m not spamming this solved thread too much?

esphome:
  name:     ${my_sensor_name}-${my_location}
  board:    esp-wrover-kit

But the chip can on mine actually said esp32-wroom (or similar)
Fortunately, all the pins are very clearly labeled on the PCB.

1 Like

Hi,

i have the follwing board to replace my ESP32Dev board:

CANADUINO® WeMos D1 Mini ESP32 Dual Core 240 MHz Wi-Fi Bluetooth BLE : Amazon.ca: Électronique

And use board: mhetesp32minikit, it was is write in th back of the board.

i’m suppose to have some data from my weather sensor: 345

if you checj what i have with my other board:

Can some one help me figure this out?

regards

Try board type board: wemos_d1_mini32

Replying to an old post, but this might be useful reference for others.

Many ESP32 boards are supplied with a combination of male 10-pin, female (10-pin short), and female (8-pin long) headers. While headers can be connected in different configurations, if you want compatibility with the ESP8266 Wemos D1 mini modules and breadboard / daughterboard range then connect headers as follows:

• Solder the long-pin female headers into the inner 8 “white-marked” pin-outs on each side.
  • Solder the short-pin female headers into the outer rows.
  • The RST (reset) switch should be located on the lower left when viewing the female headers from above.

For permanent wiring / prototyping you can also use the long-pin female headers to make wire-wrap connections to other modules (for old-school electronics enthusiasts).

Hey there Allan… where did you get the breadboard in the second photo please?

The breadboard is from an AliExpress supplier, several formats are available - they’re very handy.

I bought from:

1 Like

Thanks @Britespark much appreciated.

Thought I’d ask this question here… Just recently installed one of these boards, everything went smoothly… but it looks like bluetooth is not working?

I have… esp32_ble_tracker: in the device esphome yaml.

And here’s what I see in the logs…

[C][esp32_ble_tracker:787]: BLE Tracker:
[17:44:00][C][esp32_ble_tracker:788]:   Scan Duration: 300 s
[17:44:00][C][esp32_ble_tracker:789]:   Scan Interval: 320.0 ms
[17:44:00][C][esp32_ble_tracker:790]:   Scan Window: 30.0 ms
[17:44:00][C][esp32_ble_tracker:791]:   Scan Type: ACTIVE
[17:44:00][C][esp32_ble_tracker:792]:   Continuous Scanning: True

But it never discovers any bluetooth devices?

I must be missing something, but what could it be?