ESP32 board from Aliexpress yaml config

Good question, but not sure I can help! I’ve never had to look into the settings - I added the esp32_ble_tracker: line, found all my devices (flashed Xaomi LYWSD03MMC BLE sensors) and added the config, and it just worked. I don’t recall needing to do anything special.

Aside from a little flakiness after some ESPHome updates, I’ve never had to look into it. I checked my log file, and see the same detail as you. Do you have any other sensors connected that could be causing an issue? I’m assuming you have logger: in your yaml to identify devices?

One thing to check - in config files under the \esphome directory, do you have a sub-directory \ your_device_name with files and subdirectories? I think it’s auto-created when the tracking config is added.

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the info. I have been playing around with the ble tracking and I may have been wrong and it may be working. Will continue to play with it and see what happens.

So can I ask… have you been using any iBeacons? I’ve been wanting to try some, but there are so many different types on Aliexpress.

Thanks, Mark

No problem, Mark. I added a comment while you were typing, another thing to check.

Haven’t played around with iBeacons yet. So many things to play with, not enough time!

Thanks Allan… seems I am seeing BT devices in the logs of the esphome device, but identifying what device each MAC address aligns with is causing challenges. I’ve heard there may be some apps that can help identify BT devices based on MAC address. This is a whole new learning curve :crazy_face:

Good luck. On the Xaomi thermometers the last 3 hex pairs of the MAC address is displayed on boot - which helps. Can be a lot of trial and error for others!

Thanks for this suggestion. I bought one of this board, found very difficult to get it added to ESPHome though the device could be prepared using https://web.esphome.io/, added under ESP Devices. Finding tough time for past 2 hours adding additional sensors to yaml. With the modification you have mentioned, everything is smooth now. :+1:

Sharing this link for anyone trying to use this board as Wemos Mini D1 ESP32, please refer the pin outs above the board’s photo named as “Pin Lables Wemos D1 Mini”
https://doc.riot-os.org/group__boards__esp32__mh-et-live-minikit.html