ESP32 Cam - working!

Anyone having a problem with the latest version of ESPHome, I updated a couple of days ago and the camera is freezing (becomes unavailable) then comes back, this cycle is approximately 5 mins off, 5 mins on…

Latest is not a version. However with 1.13.4 this issue has not arisen for me.

My apologies Nick, it is 1.13.4.

Anyway, after looking around the web, I found others saying it was most likely overheating.

I’ve added…

idle_framerate: 0.05 fps
max_framerate: 0.5 fps

Has been stable for the last 2 hours, so I guess it must have been a coincidence and environment related. I had never seen this happen previously though.

Scrap my last comment, it’s disconnecting again.

I have another module, so I’ll try that…

I have the same behaviour for the last few days. Are you using an antenna for your wifi @Craig_Burton?

I don’t and I have ordered one to see if it would improve the situation. It’s either that or I have max out the wifi connection I can have on my crappy routeur!

No, not using an antenna, the camera is very closer to the router, as I said previously it was fine until I updated, but that may be coincidence, I’ll have to wait until the weekend, I have a spare cam to swap it out and see.

I also tried adding…

fast_connect: on
power_save_mode: light

But it hasn’t helped

Hi Craig

Yes I am curently investigating this, beeing on the brink of total madness, also having this very same issue with 1.13.4 on all my devices. Try to role back to ESPHOME 1.13.3 in Home Assistant Add On with the suggested conf forcing the previous version for instance with :

{
 "esphome_version": "v1.13.3",
 "ssl": false,
 "certfile": "fullchain.pem",
 "keyfile": "privkey.pem"
}

, then recompile and redeploy your YAML file to your ESP board. I’ve spent 2 terrible nights trying to figure out that thing…

https://github.com/esphome/issues/issues/409

I have zero issue (not having Sonoff Basic but a bunch of POW).

Could be a WiFi issue?

In the past had tons of WiFi problems (too many channels occupied by me and neighbour, too many Zigbee Gateway)

I can definitiely confirm that rolling back to 1.13.3 allowed me to have the TTGO Cam with Mic working. It is indeed a Wifi issue within Esphome 1.13.4 which triggers a core panic on the device causing a reboot with this specific version. All users may not be affected as it may come from a combination of factors, but in my case rolling back solved the disconnection issue on several devices using different YAML and ESP32 boards.

How did you roll back??

Hi Craig

In Home Assistant go to Hass-io / Add-Ons / ESPHome

Stop the Add-On

Then modify the conf field so that you have the line “esphome_version”: “v1.13.3”, and save the conf

Restart the service and watch the logs at the end. It should uninstall 1.13.4 and download/install the 1.13.3. Click refresh from time to time to follow the process.

Once this is complete restart the service, then Home Assistant for good measure (Configuration/General/Restart)

Log back in and go the ESPHome page. Check the YAML file and validate it for the device which causes you troubles. Clean MQTT, Clean Compile, Compile, Upload. If the device is not reachable (which is likely why you want to roll back), do a hard reset and click upload just after so that the upload process manages to connect to your device before it goes into bootloop.

If you prefer to use your CLI instead of the Hassio Add-on then go to your command line and uninstall esphome (pip uninstall esphome)
Then reinstall forcing the version (pip install esphome==v1.13.3)
Then do the same as from within the add-on (clean-mqtt, clean, run). You need to have your YAML file properly defined in the esphome directory you are running the command from.

If your device is not reachable from the Add-on you will have to flash it using USB so the CLI install will be necessary.

All my devices have been running perfectly since I rolled back to 1.13.3 for the last 36 hours.

1 Like

wonder what is your code, I have around 20 devices and have zero problem

1 Like

I have no problems with 1.3.4 or 1.3.5.

HI Lefuneste

Thank you so much for taking the time to help, I was out for most of the day yesterday and when I got home I saw there was an update available to 1.13.5.

Since flashing it, with zero changes to my configs, all my devices are now working perfectly again, so I didn’t get chance to try your fix.

I’ve checked my history logs again this morning and confirmed, zero disconnects, so I can definitely say that my issue was down to the previous build.

Thanks again

Yes Craig, I can also confirm that the 1.13.5 has brought fix to my devices. Keep the post for future references in case you need to do a roll back some day. Also I believe now that the best practice with a highly active developement like Esphome would be to have a Test ESP32 Device always available in order to test new versions before rolling them out to the rest of your house.

1 Like

Finally got my TTGO Camera w/mic working thanks to posts here.

Now that it’s working, does anyone have code they could share for the PIR to trigger a 30 second video recording that includes audio?

1 Like

Hi all and @OttoWinter,

in case it could be of some help for someone here i found this GitHub repo about M5S camera schematics and GPIO references:

i found it helpful to set up these two cameras i bought:

together with the camera I also bought the environmental unit (which packs BM280 and DHT12):

which i can confirm works fine!

Is anyone using an SD card with the AI Thinker board or another that supports it? Is that possible with ESPHome?

If so, what are you using it for. I don’t have a use case. Just curious.

Hi Guys,

I’m following this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-towjof_ixU
i manged to flash the firmware with no issue at all.
But the ESP Cam wont connect to my network throw Esp Home, its stays offline.

When i’m using this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36p9To2hfak
without esp home, the device connecting instantly without any issues.

I’m using duckdns, due i need to configure something in order to it to work ?

i can flash with no issue - but throw esp home it wont connect,

The Yaml file that i use : https://github.com/airijia/esphome-config/blob/master/ESP32/ESP32-CAM.yaml , i’m just modify the wifi settings, tried even static ip.

This is the chip:

Like I said in the other thread where you posted an identical question, show us the serial logging of it booting.