ESP32 in Raspberry Pi 3B+

I have a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with HA 2023.12.4. I try to connect a D1 mini ESP32 but the .bin file is not generated. Apparently, it’s a bug due to lack of RAM. There are no more entries in ESPHome because I have removed them. Memory gives me
total used free shared buff/cache avalaible
mem: 908.9M 611.2M 35.6M 44.0k 262.1M 235.6M
swap: 330.1M 208.4M 91.7M

and log is

Link .pioenvs/garage-light/firmware.elf

collect2: Fatal Error: LD Terminated with Signal 9 [Dead]

Build completed.

[.pioenvs/garage-light/firmware.elf] Mistake 1

Is my hardware compatible with the D1 mini ESP32?

This is probably nothing to do with your ESP and all to do with your rPi. My rPi 4 struggles with some compiles.

Install the Python version of ESPHome on your PC and compile and install using that.

1 Like

Yep, it’s the ESPHome addon which doesn’t have enough memory. Nothing related to the ESP itself.

1 Like

if a restart/reboot of the HA does not help (to clear memory) a seperate esp-home instance would indeed be advisable

Hi,
I’ve tried to dabble in ESPHome yesterday to get my mmWave Sensors to work and I hit the brick wall as OP here. I’m running a Pi4 with 4GB RAM. I get random error messages and unpacking things takes ages when I want to install YAML to my ESP32.
Is ESPHome really this heavy on compiling?
I would have assumed that it’s “fine” and all I wanted to do for a start is to push the “defaul” yaml to my device / compile it in order to manually uplaod it via ESPHome web. :frowning:

Thanks for the hint of the Python-Version. Seems a bit “backwards” and not what I wanted (coming from arduino code and manually uploading it but oh well…)

Why do you care what computer you run esphome on?

But I have never heard of esphome failing on a 4G machine.

It has the exact same dashboard, editor and USB and OTA loading as the HAOS add-on.

1 Like

Don’t want to necro this thread so I created a new one. I’m just pulling my hair out because it should be so simple…

When you have done that please let us have the link to the new thread

Done.
Browser was a bit stupid and didn’t want to let me create the thread. Thanks