ESP32 with display - possible awesome DIY interface

Hi All,

I just came across these cool little devices, an ESP32 with a built in display. My thought was to install one into a wall switch plate with a few switches along side to be used as a low cost user interface coded with ESPhome. The only issue is getting the display compatible with the ESPhome firmware…maybe @OttoWinter might like the look of these enough to incorporate them :wink:

1 Like

Hello,

Indeed a very good looking module for a Great Price. I myself have ordered Some M5stack modules. Bigger display, buttons and housing for a higher Price.

Ssd1306 devices are already in esphome, and there are plenty of esp32 based devices with ssd1306 connected screens.

1 Like

Hi @rhannink

How are you planning to use the m5stack with HA?

Use it together with an rfid face to arm/disarm the alarm in 2 places in the house. Communication is planned now via MQTT. ESPHome could be another option.

2 Likes

Not sure that esphome supports the oled chip on the m5stack.

Could you please share your project when you have it up and running?

Thanks.

@bachoo786,

Sure, no problem. Just give me Some time. It will probably take a few weeks to aquire everything and integrate it.

Gr. Remco

3 Likes

Hi @rhannink any updates buddy?

I’ve found this project to use the M5Stack.

3 Likes

I like the way it only needs MQTT, I may give this a try

@bachoo786, still no updates. few weeks holiday and busy at work. I hop that after next week I can pick up the project again. All the individual pieces I have working, just have combine them to 1 project with a GUI.

1 Like

Awesome! I just found out about m5stack sticks yesterday and I’m craving to order a few of the stickC and some like the one you posted.
My only doubt is if I can use the modules made for it, including the RFID module and fingerprint.

I’ve picked up one m5StickC and one m5core Fire and I’m really disappointed by the very short WiFi and BLE range…

Hello,

I finally found some time to work on my M5stack HA alarmpanel.
Hardware is ordered and delivered. I have done some programming and made some screens.
RFID is also working

Next is MQTT and glueing everything together into a nice functional panel.

I Will keep sending the status on this project and release everything on GitHub once it is done.

5 Likes

It may be worth looking to see if there are any boards offering external antenna for Wifi.

I know some users on this forum were are to use external antennae with ESP8266 hardware.

Looks really nice well done

Wow these look like they can be pretty handy!
I wonder if the m5stick could be used with a ct clamp and display the reading.
Hopefully @OttoWinter is following this thread :grinning:

That’s a nice looking alarm panel!
Following!

looks like mvturnho got the m5stack working here with esphome: https://github.com/esphome/feature-requests/issues/51

1 Like

The m5stack works with ESPHome, but not the screen…yet…