I have a couple of questions:
- Which boards would you use as part of a DIY security system that communicates with Home Assistant? ESP8266 or Arduino?
- Do you go wireless or wired?
- What would be the difference between the two boards from a security system perspective?
- Can either of the boards power motion detectors?
- What about smoke alarms? I could care less for Nest Protect as I don’t want to have a cloud account for that.
The reason why I ask is I like to go the DIY route. I want to go with USB and not Wi-Fi or Ethernet for directly communicating with my Home Assistant server.
If I go wireless with this kit:
- What contact and motion sensors are compatible with the kit?
Anyway, I’ll be getting myself a high-capacity UPS for my server and networking equipment so that should not be that much of a problem, but I do want to know what other Home Assistant users are using for their setups when it comes to home security.