ESPHome GUI component using LVGL

Hi!

I started working on GUI component for ESPHome some time ago and I finally got it to state in which it can be shared :slight_smile: Project is hosted on GitHub: https://github.com/lukasz-tuz/esphome-gui.

This component uses a slightly modified ESPHomeā€™s Display component to enable LVGL as library that renders GUI widgets - instead of built-in rendering engine. No 3rd party SPI drivers are needed, everything should work on ESPHomeā€™s own display components.

GUI is defined and configured in YAML. Hereā€™s an example of simple clock built on LiliyGO T-Embed board:

gui:
  id: mygui
  display_id: disp
  items:
    - type: label
      id: mylabel
      position: 40, 100
      dimensions: 100x25
time:
  - platform: homeassistant
    id: home_time
    on_time:
      - seconds: 0
        minutes: /1
        then:
          - lambda: |
              id(mylabel).strftime("%H:%M", id(home_time).now());

Currently, only Label and Checkbox are implemented, but Iā€™m hoping to get more widgets in there in the near future.

7 Likes

Hi,

will it work with all displays that are supported by lvgl or need esphome also support the driver ic?

Lvgl itself doesnā€™t implement communication with a display or its controller, it always needs a driver. Here, all of the drivers available in ESPHome should work. Iā€™ve only used it with st77889v so far, though.

It should be easy enough to integrate it with TFT_eSPI library, like esphome-lvgl does.

I tried to use your component.

But I run in the following error:

esphome: None
  name: ha-touchscreen02
  friendly_name: ha-touchscreen02
  on_boot: 
    then: 
      - script.execute: backlight_script
  includes: 

Could not find file '/config/esphome/esphome/components/gui/lv_conf.h'. Please make sure it exists (full path: /config/esphome/esphome/components/gui/lv_conf.h).
    - esphome/components/gui/lv_conf.h
  build_path: .esphome/build/ha-touchscreen02

YAML:

external_components:
  - source:
      type: git
      url: https://github.com/lukasz-tuz/esphome-gui
      ref: main
    components: [ display, gui ]

esphome:
  on_boot:
    then:
  includes:
    - esphome/components/gui/lv_conf.h

When you list files under /config/esphome/esphome/components/gui/, is the lv_conf.h there?

Chicken/Egg Problem (i think you can reproduce the problem, if you clean the builds and delete the already downloaded component):

Step 0:
No lv_conf.h exists at all. (component was not downloaded yet)
Compiling with the include statement does not work.
compile it without an include statement, so that the component is downloaded.

Step 2:
Now that the file is downloaded:

includes:
    - /config/esphome/.esphome/external_components/d99de832/esphome/components/gui/lv_conf.h

now I get the following error message:

In file included from /data/ha-touchscreen02/.piolibdeps/ha-touchscreen02/lvgl/src/misc/lv_log.h:16,
                 from /data/ha-touchscreen02/.piolibdeps/ha-touchscreen02/lvgl/lvgl.h:24,
                 from src/esphome/components/gui/gui_objects.h:4,
                 from src/esphome.h:22,
                 from src/esphome/components/gui/gui.h:3,
                 from src/esphome/components/gui/gui.cpp:1:
/data/ha-touchscreen02/.piolibdeps/ha-touchscreen02/lvgl/src/misc/../lv_conf_internal.h:35:42: fatal error: ../../../src/lv_conf.h: No such file or directory
         #include __LV_TO_STR(LV_CONF_PATH)
                                          ^
compilation terminated.
*** [/data/ha-touchscreen02/.pioenvs/ha-touchscreen02/src/esphome/components/gui/gui.cpp.o] Error 1
In file included from /data/ha-touchscreen02/.piolibdeps/ha-touchscreen02/lvgl/src/misc/lv_log.h:16,
                 from src/esphome/components/gui/gui.h:4,
                 from src/esphome.h:21,
                 from src/esphome/components/gui/gui_objects.h:3,
                 from src/esphome/components/gui/gui_objects.cpp:1:
/data/ha-touchscreen02/.piolibdeps/ha-touchscreen02/lvgl/src/misc/../lv_conf_internal.h:35:42: fatal error: ../../../src/lv_conf.h: No such file or directory
                                          ^
compilation terminated.
*** [/data/ha-touchscreen02/.pioenvs/ha-touchscreen02/src/esphome/components/gui/gui_objects.cpp.o] Error 1

Dang, it did not occur to me that it will happen when downloading an external component :frowning:

For the time being, Please clone the repo manually to a directory next to your project dir and include the conf file like this:

esphome:
  name: esphome-lvgl
  includes:
    - ../esphome-gui/esphome/components/gui/lv_conf.h

Iā€™ll try to remove this include dependency from the YAML file entirely.

No luck.

Changed yaml-file:

external_components:
  - source:
     type: local
     path: ../esphome-gui/esphome/components

esphome:
  on_boot:
    then:
  includes:
    - ../esphome-gui/esphome/components/gui/lv_conf.h    

but the compile error is the same.

OK, should now be fixed on main. Using includes: in YAML to add lv_conf.his no longer needed, component now handles its dependencies by itself.

@lukasz-tuz ā€¦ What would your the best approach to get this Display working?
=> 3.95åÆø86ē›’_ę·±åœ³åø‚åÆ꘎ę™ŗę˜¾ē§‘ęŠ€ęœ‰é™å…¬åø

It uses an GC9503V as Controller. Unfortunately itā€™s not supported by the tft library :frowning:

somehow I am not able to get it compiled.

Although I think I have deleted all the old downloads within HA, I still get the following error message.

Compiling /data/ha-touchscreen02/.pioenvs/ha-touchscreen02/src/esphome/components/gui/gui_objects.cpp.o
Compiling /data/ha-touchscreen02/.pioenvs/ha-touchscreen02/src/esphome/components/ili9xxx/ili9xxx_display.cpp.o
                 from src/esphome/components/gui/gui_objects.h:4,
                 from src/esphome.h:22,
                 from src/esphome/components/gui/gui.h:3,
                 from src/esphome/components/gui/gui.cpp:1:
                                          ^
compilation terminated.
*** [/data/ha-touchscreen02/.pioenvs/ha-touchscreen02/src/esphome/components/gui/gui.cpp.o] Error 1
                 from src/esphome/components/gui/gui.h:4,
                 from src/esphome.h:21,
                 from src/esphome/components/gui/gui_objects.h:3,
                 from src/esphome/components/gui/gui_objects.cpp:1:
                                          ^
compilation terminated.
*** [/data/ha-touchscreen02/.pioenvs/ha-touchscreen02/src/esphome/components/gui/gui_objects.cpp.o] Error 1

I have also tried it outside HA: esphome compile ha-touchscreen02.yaml
here I get the following error message:

Compiling .pioenvs/ha-touchscreen02/FrameworkArduino/wiring_shift.c.o
Archiving .pioenvs/ha-touchscreen02/libFrameworkArduino.a
Indexing .pioenvs/ha-touchscreen02/libFrameworkArduino.a
Linking .pioenvs/ha-touchscreen02/firmware.elf
/home/sven/.platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld: .pioenvs/ha-touchscreen02/src/esphome/components/ili9xxx/ili9xxx_display.cpp.o:(.rodata._ZTVN7esphome7ili9xxx13ILI9XXXST7796E[vtable for esphome::ili9xxx::ILI9XXXST7796]+0x6c): undefined reference to `esphome::display::DisplayBuffer::write_display_data()'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
*** [.pioenvs/ha-touchscreen02/firmware.elf] Error 1

get this Display working?
=> 3.95åÆø86ē›’_ę·±åœ³åø‚åÆ꘎ę™ŗę˜¾ē§‘ęŠ€ęœ‰é™å…¬åø

Thereā€™s no out-of-the-box way of using it in ESPHome, but seems that Arduino_GFX library supports it.

1 Like

Thanks for checking this!
Inside HA, I donā€™t get it. Something is wrong with paths and where files end up. Iā€™m going to have to check it inside my HA setup.
Outside HA, problem is that implementation of individual display drivers is not consistent. While st7789v that Iā€™ve been using for development implements write_display_data() method, Iā€™m guessing that ili9xxx does not. Supporting more than one display device is something Iā€™m definitely going to have to work on.

Hi, thank you for the hintā€¦ Unfortunately esphome doesnā€™t support the display and also ArduinoGFX is not supported by esphome. It seems that you can add Arduino libraryā€™s but this is something which I have never did. So in the end I will give up, due my small amount of time. Hopefully the display IC get esphome support soon.

I am new to ESPHome, but can it be used for this display? Unfortunately, I havenā€™t managed to get anything shown on the display yetā€¦

Hi

Yes you can use that display, the key is to set it to ili9342 and the resolution to 320 x 240, not 240 x 320

display:

• platform: ili9xxx
    model: ili9342
    spi_id: tft
    cs_pin: GPIO15
    dc_pin: GPIO2
    rotation: 0

Have a look at https://github.com/jonnybergdahl/ESP32-Cheap-Yellow-Display/tree/main/Examples/ESPHome this helped me out

Cheers

1 Like

Glad I found this! Two questions; one for @DerekSN : I have the same display but connected to an early ESP32 that has no param. Therefore the display buffer allocation always fails. Do you know if thereā€™s a way to disable the buffer and write directly to the display?

And for @lukasz-tuz , you mentioned that LVGL requires a display driver ā€“ when used with the esphome display driver, at what level does it hook up? Any way I can get around not having enough ram?

EDIT: I see that in the Component, LVGL operates on a buffer, so Iā€™m not getting out of that.

I know the display has examples using LVGL and zero psram, so it must at least be possible. The only question is whether I can do it in esphome (which is really key for me.)

I just discovered that the new LVGL Graphics ā€” ESPHome component (:partying_face:) has a buffer_size option specifically for this kind of situation, when there is little or no PSRAM. That might be my way out.

1 Like

I am pretty sure LVGL requires a buffer, so being able to set this size should help get this working for you.

Following the use of the new esphome-lvgl component, I no longer get out-of-memory errors. However, ili9341 still doesnā€™t seem to respond.

I noticed that your config specifies cs_pin in addition to dc_pin. Do you know if thatā€™s a requirement? I have this device, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what the dc_pin is. :thinking:

Maybe itā€™s not that, but itā€™s odd that thereā€™s no error AND no response from the screen, even though the LVGL logs show updates every second.

UPDATE: I found the CS pin on an obscure site, (pin 15), but the screen is still blank :confused:

esphome:
  platformio_options:
    build_flags: "-DBOARD_HAS_PSRAM"

esp32:
  board: esp32dev
  framework:
    # type: arduino
    type: esp-idf

# Enable logging
logger:
  level: VERBOSE
  logs:
    ili9xxx: VERBOSE

external_components:
 - source: github://clydebarrow/esphome@lvgl
   components: [ lvgl ] 

debug:
  update_interval: 5s

text_sensor:
  - platform: debug
    device:
      name: "Device Info"
    reset_reason:
      name: "Reset Reason"
  - platform: wifi_info
    ip_address:
      name: ESP IP Address
      id: ip_address
      on_value: 
        then:
          - lvgl.label.update:
              id: ip_address_label
              text:
                format: "%s"
                args: [ 'id(ip_address).get_state().c_str()' ]
    ssid:
      name: ESP Connected SSID
    bssid:
      name: ESP Connected BSSID
    mac_address:
      name: ESP Mac Wifi Address
    scan_results:
      name: ESP Latest Scan Results
    dns_address:
      name: ESP DNS Address

spi:
  - id: spi_bus0
    clk_pin: 18
    mosi_pin: 23
    miso_pin: 19

display:
  - platform: ili9xxx
    model: ili9341
    id: main_display
    dc_pin: 2
    spi_id: spi_bus0
    data_rate: 20MHz
    update_interval: never
    auto_clear_enabled: false
    invert_colors: true
    dimensions:
      height: 240
      width: 320
    transform:
      swap_xy: true 
      mirror_y: true
      mirror_x: true

lvgl:
  log_level: TRACE
  text_font: unscii_8
  align: center
  displays:
    - display_id: main_display
  buffer_size: 25%
  widgets:
    - obj:
        bg_color: 0xFF0000
        border_width: 8
        pad_all: 8
        height: size_content
        width: size_content
        widgets:
        - label:
            align: CENTER
            text: 'IP Address'
        - label:
            id: ip_address_label
            text: 'n/a'
        - label:
            id: time_label
            text: 'n/a'

script:
  - id: time_update
    then:
      - lvgl.label.update:
          id: time_label
          text:
            format: "%02d : %02d"
            args: [ 'id(time_comp).now().minute', 'id(time_comp).now().second' ]

time:
  - platform: homeassistant
    id: time_comp
    on_time_sync:
      - script.execute: time_update
    on_time:
      - minutes: '*'
        seconds: '*'
        then:
          - script.execute: time_update