ESPhome - how to use the HLK-LD2410S?

Hey Guys,

is anyone using the HLK-LD2410S in ESPhome?
I am really keen on using it, as it runs with 3,3V and ~0,1mA, which means it can be driven with an GPIO.

It seems the LD2410 Configuration can’t be used: HLK-LD2410S - UART Respones not as expected and sensors UNKNOWN

Would love to get some of them, but of course i need to be able to use them as well :wink:

1 Like

Using 3 of them.
You don’t use GPIOs though, but UART. You can use 3.3v, indeed, though.

Not sure why you picked that random topic.
There is a dedicated one here:

The Thread you refer to is about the LD2410, I am talking about the LD2410S :smile:

If searching for it in that Thread, there is only one Hit, and this is for the Plural of LD2410…ehm LD2410s :smile:

I guess that the misunderstanding - or I am totally blind? :face_with_monocle: If so, I am really sorry, bout could you give me a hint where thats buried? Seriously, I couldn’t find anything.

All the LD2410 are the same. The suffix only pertains to the form factor (square or rectangular)

The LD2410 operates at 5-12V, the LD2410S at 3,3V.
So clearly not only a different Form Factor.
It seems the LD2410S uses baudrate 115200 and a different protocol than LD2410.

Maybe those Informations are wrong, but are you sure you are driving your LD2410 with 3,3V? Having multiple 2410 as well, and when i tried it that didnt work for me.

Or do you really operate one LD2410S (not multiple LD2410s :smiley:), using the Standard Component for the LD2410? If so, do you drive it with an GPIO (sure, Data through UART)? That would indeed great News!

Ah, right. I was confused with the B & C models.
I actually have no clue about the S.

1 Like

Thanks anyway for your willing to assist, appreciate it!

Then - back to Start, lets see if someone is actually using it :slight_smile:

Hi @smartin did you find the way to make it work in esphome? I got the same problem as you tried with several configurations and none of them are working.

Unfortunately not.
I found a custom component in (I guess) Chinese that aimed to make the 2410S usable and asked about the current state, but didn’t get a response.
As I couldn’t find any sign it might work I didn’t buy them, though.

Well, I bought 5 of these before I knew it wasn’t supported by ESPHome yet. Now I went looking for how to use it and found this thread. The good news is that it isn’t completely useless, though! The LD2410S has a “OT2” pin that is a simple IO pin, pulled high when presence is detected and low when it’s not. So I connected just that pin to my ESP32 like a regular binary sensor:

- platform: gpio
    name: "mmWave"
    pin:
      number: 4
      mode:
        input: true
        pullup: true
    device_class: presence

And it works pretty well! I’m stuck with the configuration it comes with out of the box and all I get is this one binary sensor, but it has been doing a good job in my tests so far. Now I’m getting a UART to USB adapter to try and run their config tool, described in the documentation here: HLK-LD2410S Lower power consumption - Google Drive

Mostly to play with it though, since I’ll still be stuck with just the one sensor. I hope there’s better support for it in ESPHome soon; I’d love to be able to get all its data and hopefully be able to set up multiple zones within a room.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your Experience, appreciate it!

Yeah i noticed the Hi/Lo Output, great to know that it is working in Default settings out of the Box!

But well, beeing able to control and tune it with ESPhome is of course premium. Setting it externally might be a doable Workaround. However, yet i am not convinced to go that Way.
My Experience from LD2410B is, that the performance and correct detection can significantly be improved.

Can you tell me how you drive your LD2410S? Does it work only using an GPIO set to High (=3,3V)? Maybe will go that Route then as well, as i want a Device i can turn on/off by Request.

Currently I just used the 3v3 pin. I can try a regular gpio soon when I have the time, but I think it should work.

1 Like