Esphome killing home assistant

I’ve had the same thing happen on a number of occasions, I’m running HA in docker on a 3B+, sometimes when I compile a new yaml HA will either restart (which I would assume is due to the box running out of RAM and having to go to swap) or less frequently the entire OS hangs, stops responding to SSH and then I have to physically unplug the power supply to get it to respond again… I didn’t see anything suspicious (ar rather anything at all) in HA logs when that happens, I assume the issue is more to do directly with ESPHome and the underlying OS…

Actually I think this has been seen. RPI RAM often gets overloaded by the esphome compile process memory requirements.

Put esphome on another computer.

Yeah I’m finding it difficult to get the logs out as they reset upon restarting the HA instance. After choosing the command to install manually, it does seem to be the compiling that’s killing the instance, which is odd as I’ve had it working on this device before I switched to an SSD. Below is the output of the compiling before it goes offline

INFO Reading configuration /config/esphome/living-room-plant.yaml...
INFO Generating C++ source...
INFO Compiling app...
INFO Running:  platformio run -d /config/esphome/living-room-plant
Processing living-room-plant (board: esp01_1m; framework: arduino; platform: platformio/[email protected])
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HARDWARE: ESP8266 80MHz, 80KB RAM, 1MB Flash
PACKAGES: 
 - framework-arduinoespressif8266 3.20704.0 (2.7.4) 
 - tool-esptool 1.413.0 (4.13) 
 - tool-esptoolpy 1.20800.0 (2.8.0) 
 - toolchain-xtensa 2.40802.200502 (4.8.2)
Library Manager: Installing Update
Library Manager: Already installed, built-in library
Dependency Graph
|-- <ESPAsyncTCP-esphome> 1.2.3
|   |-- <ESP8266WiFi> 1.0
|-- <ESPAsyncWebServer-esphome> 1.2.7
|   |-- <ESPAsyncTCP-esphome> 1.2.3
|   |   |-- <ESP8266WiFi> 1.0
|   |-- <Hash> 1.0
|-- <ESP8266WiFi> 1.0
|-- <ESP8266mDNS> 1.2
|-- <DNSServer> 1.1.1
Compiling /data/living-room-plant/.pioenvs/living-room-plant/lib768/ESPAsyncWebServer-esphome/SPIFFSEditor.cpp.o
Compiling /data/living-room-plant/.pioenvs/living-room-plant/lib768/ESPAsyncWebServer-esphome/WebHandlers.cpp.o
Compiling /data/living-room-plant/.pioenvs/living-room-plant/lib768/ESPAsyncWebServer-esphome/WebRequest.cpp.o
Compiling /data/living-room-plant/.pioenvs/living-room-plant/lib768/ESPAsyncWebServer-esphome/WebResponses.cpp.o

As I said put esphome on another computer.

1 Like

I have the same issue…

Run esphome on another computer.

Is it possible to create a link between HA on the Raspberrypi and ESPHome on another computer so it works as seamless as for the add-on?

It works seamlessly on another computer, I’m not sure what you mean.

I mean how to create the link between HA and ESPHome when they run on two different computers.

A link? What for? Why?

When ESPHome is installed as an add-on it appears as an icon on the left side. Here you click and then you enter ESPHome. If ESPhome is installed on a different computer and not integrated as an add-on, I wonder how the integration works?

You could even use the public online compiler
https://web.esphome.io/
(you don’t need the addon integrated on HA, you only need esphome to compile, after that the esp module works with ha directly)

Installed ESPhome on an iMac with plenty of RAM using the package manager HomeBrew. This works very well. Thanks for the input!

@JL-EU Please mark as solution :wink:

I am sorry but I am new to this forum I don’t see a check box? :slight_smile:

My bad, only the author of the original question can mark it as answer :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

If you are still having compile problems, see the related thread at Compilation fails : xtensa-lx106-elf-g++: fatal error: Killed signal terminated program cc1plus

I have same problem

then I installed Python on my windows computer, and I run esphome file.yaml but I got this new error
I need help to upgrade PlatformIO Core 6 … thanks in advance

Why are you cross posting this? It isn’t helpful, if you ask the same question in three different topics. And it will def. not get you more help…